Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 185
Negative pressures/ fan use/ smells / general advice wanted :)

Hey all!
We're having a blast at the top of georgia and just thought we'd ask...

What is your rule of thumb for using the fans. Last night got a little chilly, so I decided to close the fantastic fan in the front, and the vent in the back to hold in the heat. However, I have noticed that if I don't have a point of entry for air when running either the fantastic fan (sending air out) or leaving the bathroom fan on (sending air out of course) the result will be a negative pressure that seems to suck up some smells from the tanks in the bathroom.

Last night the temperature in the camper was perfect once the vents were all closed and the fans were all off, but we ended up with some musty smells in the bathroom due to the recently used shower, hanging towels, etc.
__________________

__________________
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
rideair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,223
Bottom line is this:

In effect, your pushing air out of the trailer, that air must come from somewhere, floor frig vents, bath vents, seals around doors/windows, etc... Most will crack a window to allow for that air flow if not, you get what you got.

Enjoy,
__________________

__________________
Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 185
So, not wanting cold air through the living area; would you just crack the bathroom window to keep it fresh inside? Would you leave the fan on or off overnight?

Thanks!
__________________
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnora View Post
So, not wanting cold air through the living area; would you just crack the bathroom window to keep it fresh inside? Would you leave the fan on or off overnight?

Thanks!
If I did not want cold air in the trailer, I would and do close all windows and turn off all fans and close their covers. If it was cold, I would run the furnace. Unless your stove burners or some other burning flame is going in the trailer, the trailer and you will function fine with everything closed.

If you are getting tank odors in the trailer when the only opening is a exhaust fan running, you have some type of plumbing problem. Perhaps as simple as not ensuring that the sinks and shower traps have water in them, or the toilet base and/or flush valve seal in need of replacement..

If you are getting tank odors when intaking air. That most likely is coming from the roof vents. Or even possibly from a neighbor's vents. Your can help your fumes by ensuring that your tanks smell as little as possible using either chemical or biological additives available at RV stores.

In short, if your trailer didn't smell bad, you should have no need for an open window. Take care of the smells first and then decide what is comfortable.

Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
...If you are getting tank odors when intaking air. That most likely is coming from the roof vents. Or even possibly from a neighbor's vents. Your can help your fumes by ensuring that your tanks smell as little as possible using either chemical or biological additives available at RV stores.

In short, if your trailer didn't smell bad, you should have no need for an open window. Take care of the smells first and then decide what is comfortable.

Ken
Ken, I disagree - especially if you have the fantastic fan on anything but LOW. ON high, if your black tank is nearly empty - even with a good seal on the toilet and plenty of water in every trap I've seen "champaigne" bubbles around the edge of the toilet seal and tiny bubbles from the black tank could still be whiffy even if you've put in chemicals. Simply cracking a window anywhere encourages entrance of nice fresh air.

Another source - the STOVE VENT - when it's flapping in the wind it is not sealed, and well - check your filter and grease buildup under that thing. It may not actively smell, but it won't be pleasant if it does. It is small and can get full of grease and other stuff fast. Remove and clean the filter and the entire underside of the hood, and you'll be amazed at how much crap that fan pulls up in there.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master<br><img src="/ugala/forums/images/5rivet.gif">
 
CanoeStream's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 13,279
Images: 19
Blog Entries: 3
I generally have a window ajar on a turned latch to avoid condensation from breath moisture -- even when (or especially) when it's cool enough to run the furnace.

We use the shower only occasionally and have had the trap there dry enough to admit gray tank smells. That is surprisingly rank.
__________________
Bob

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
1989 29' Excella
Tyrone , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 185
Very interesting. I did notice some excess smell coming from the hole in the floor behind the toilet that vents the black tank. I bet there is a seal problem on the top of the black tank.

We do put a good share of chemical in the tank,
__________________
mikeandnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ken, I disagree - especially if you have the fantastic fan on anything but LOW. ON high, if your black tank is nearly empty - even with a good seal on the toilet and plenty of water in every trap I've seen "champaigne" bubbles around the edge of the toilet seal and tiny bubbles from the black tank could still be whiffy even if you've put in chemicals. Simply cracking a window anywhere encourages entrance of nice fresh air.

Another source - the STOVE VENT - when it's flapping in the wind it is not sealed, and well - check your filter and grease buildup under that thing. It may not actively smell, but it won't be pleasant if it does. It is small and can get full of grease and other stuff fast. Remove and clean the filter and the entire underside of the hood, and you'll be amazed at how much crap that fan pulls up in there.

Paula
Paula,
You have my permission to disagree.
However, this brings up a question. Why would anyone be running a fantastic fan in the exhaust mode with nothing else open, unless they wanted to test their toilet seal?
Ken
__________________
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandnora View Post
Very interesting. I did notice some excess smell coming from the hole in the floor behind the toilet that vents the black tank. I bet there is a seal problem on the top of the black tank.

We do put a good share of chemical in the tank,
I think that would be the problem, the only vent for the black tank should be a pipe going up through the roof.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
noreen&sal's Avatar
 
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,179
Images: 9
Champagne bubbles

Have you been watching Lawrence Welk again? Sal.
__________________
Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Have you been watching Lawrence Welk again? Sal.
Imagine Lawrence Welk trying to be cool and in his accent (sounds Hutterite) say,

"play dat funky music, white boy"


Ken, people do stuff without thinking. Example: I had a second fan installed in my bedroom (25FB) by the Mothership - and they put in a two-way fan. I ONCE had it cooling my bedroom "IN" and got up in the night and used the bathroom half asleep.............

OOOOMG! It's not a mistake you'll make twice!

Wake up enough to turn the fantastic to OFF or OUT first!

Paula
__________________

__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.