Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 07:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Need some winter advice

Never been out in our 2003 Classic in winter. Are we going to be OK, in roughly 25 to 30 at night?
Centerville, OH
philipsinewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
Never been out in our 2003 Classic in winter. Are we going to be OK, in roughly 25 to 30 at night?
You'll be fine, enjoy!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Agreed, you will be fine. I generally shut off and disconnect city water once it drops below freezing. Furnace does a fine job of keeping interior warm.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:37 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Agreed, you will be fine. I generally shut off and disconnect city water once it drops below freezing. Furnace does a fine job of keeping interior warm.
Thanks, plumbing was my only concern
Centerville, OH
Old 12-10-2016, 07:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Interesting that someone from Florida and Alabama are saying you will be OK in the cold winters in Ohio. LOL
You will be OK if you disconnect the water. I would also open the low point drains. Any area outside the heated insulated area is subject to freezing. Especially Wednesday and Thursday night in Centerville. Down to 7degrees.
I would also start with 2 full LP tanks. You will go through them fast.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Ditto to GeoCamperAS. The advice given below is not sound, in my personal opinion. Too many variables to go into right now (I am on the road), but Phil you should take all precautions seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjkq View Post
You'll be fine, enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It sounds like the op is going camping, tho, not having their rig in storage....heat inside, with the water disconnected, should be fine.

As always, read your individual owners manual.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
25 degrees Fahrenheit, with strong overnight winds, would absolutely freeze some of the more remote pipes in our FC20, even with the heat and tank heaters on.

Just advising extreme caution, as inexperience + simplistic advice = a recipe for major damage.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Sounds to me like there are bunch of folks on this site that have no clue what they are talking about. I'm in North Alabama and just went through a 18 degree night. DA`s.....
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipsinewe View Post
You can sleep in it, but I would winterize and park near a place that has bathrooms. Don't try to use the plumbing (you can use the potty but use antifreeze to flush).

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are a lot of newbies here, to whom we owe our good manners and a bit of assistance.

I just think it is CRITICAL that new folks pull out their owners manual and READ IT! We had ours tabbed for vital areas, and I would read things off to Doug, step by step.

Cannot and should not try to rely on others here to tell you what is in there, as every rig is different, and years of Interstates are very different....as in, macerator pumps.

We have been camping in temps in the teens, more than once, and once in Texas nearly to Mexico, and I was boondocking by myself early on with temps that low....nothing inside every froze, tho we learned early on to a) be mindful of predicted lows, and b) fill your fresh water tank, rather than staying hooked up to city water.

Maggie
Old 12-10-2016, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Above 25 degrees during the night is fine as long as the temperature during the day before and after is above freezing by a reasonable amount. If 40 or above during those periods you are fine.

What most people are not familiar with is the latent heat of freezing. While it only take one unit of energy to reduce the temperature of water one degree it takes 80 units to cause 32 degree water to become 32 degree ice. You rig is a huge thermal mass surrounding the plumbing That mass has to be cooled before any freezing of the plumbing. If the temperature during the day was raised by ambient temperature or heating of the rig you can easily last through 4 or 5 hours below freezing during the night, even without the heat on.

I don't winterize my rig while parked till a continuous period of 12 plus hours below freezing is predicted.

Now that said do disconnect the city water as the hose on the ground will freeze, that is another oddity night sky radiant cooling, long before the rig and could cause a problem at the inlet regulator. I forgot once last year in Fl. and had no water till 11am the next morning

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I work in Yellowstone from mid-May to the end of September. Many nights below freezing, some in the teens. Since I am living in the rig with the wife and pets, the interior is never cooler than 68 degrees thanks to the furnace and two space heaters. About a quarter of the furnace output is ducted to the tank area.

The only precaution I take is to detach the city water hose and drain it at the end of the day. In the morning, we just run off the water tank for cleanup.

I have never had any problems. It helps that the daytime temps are seldom below freezing.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We have camped in single and below 0F temps and were able to use fresh water via the water pump in the morning. No city water is a given unless you can actually get water from the faucet and have heat tape on the hose. We do open a few cabinet doors to prevent dead zones where the cold could penetrate and cool a particular area that warm air was not circulating to. That said, our trailer has all the water supply running along one side of the trailer and the water lines are fully visible. I have no idea how the newer trailers are set up now - which leads me to reinforce what others have said - read the owner's manual for your model and year. Also - people tend to think about cold temps when they are camping and running the furnace but you also have to realize that if you are towing your trailer for several hours in sub-freezing temps it will eventually go to ambient temperature in the trailer during towing - we do a "quick winterize" and empty the fresh water tank in those cases. Trailer parks are not immune from power outages and having a backup heat source when the battery drains from running the furnace fan is kind of like insurance - you hope you never need it, but ...
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Sarasota , Florida
Obtain bubble wrap used for packaging, duct tape to interior window frame to create dead air space will stop heat transfer thru numerous windows. Help me when I was pheasant hunting in western Kansas Dec &Jan with minus 10 wind chill😎
GatorDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Centerville , Ohio
Confusion

Sorry for possible confusion. We are heading to the Carolinas where it is supposed to possibly be mid 20 at night, 40s on up day.
Centerville, OH
Old 12-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We took my 23' Flying Cloud to New Mexico for the Thanksgiving weekend, temperature got down to about 10 degrees at night, and it was fine. Since we had electricity at the campsite, I filled the fresh water tank and used the tank heaters. Just be sure to keep the interior warm and you'll be fine. You'll want to be careful to drain and winterize the plumbing when yo're finished. If temperature gets too low, open cabinet doors so that the heat can circulate around the pump and plumbing. As others advised, don't leave the fresh water hose connected.
silvertrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
What about the dump pipes and valves for grey and black tanks. I would think these would freeze pretty quickly..... They are not insulted or heated?

Any experience out there?
Troutboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Need some winter advice

Also agree with 1973Argosy.

We spent the past couple weeks in N Alabama with much rain & low overnight temps of 22 to 32 degrees. Our furnace kept us warm & toasty alternating with the HP at night & a small Dyson heater occasionally. Also packed a few extra blankets & a very nice (but heavy) down comforter.

On the upside the beer stayed really frosty & we didn't need to replenish much ice in that cooler 😉

As for the AS, just plan and stay aware of the hours the temps are below freezing, and you will be fine as we were. Planning some winter comfort foods like chili, soups & homemade stews helped our attitudes as the temps dropped & rain kept coming.

Remember, you are mobile so if it gets uncomfortable you can always go further South.

Take care & have fun.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
We all have experiences so here is mine.....Spent 4 months, October 2015-January 2016 in Great Falls, Montana living on the Landyacht. Temps were milder than usual until Thanksgiving weekend. Noticed all my campground neighbors were putting skirting around the base of their RV's. I knew my holding tanks were heated and decided to disconnect the water line using only the fresh water tank. Did not put up the skirting.

After about 5 days of temps in single digits, woke up to find I had no water even though my tank was over half full. On my diesel Airstream, all the tanks are mounted on the outside between the frame center rails. It took a week to thaw out....thank goodness I did not have any damage. Meantime had to get water from the campground laundry room to flush with and cleanup daily. Also found the front of the motorhome was much colder than the rear. Furnace worked great so bedroom and bath were okay, used an electric heater in front and it ran all the time.

Thankfully, it warmed up for the rest of my visit and only went below freezing a few times at night. Locals said last year (2015) was very mild for Montana winters. Sounds like they are getting blasted this month!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote