Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
need route from VA to Niagara Falls

In mid June, we will be completing a National Park Service volunteer gig at Shenandoah NP and want to travel to see Niagara Falls (US & Canada). Any suggestions for a route to Niagara Falls or highways to avoid when towing? Campgrounds to stay in near Niagara Falls?

After visiting the Falls, we plan to continue driving towards London, Ontario & onto Port Huron. Suggestions?

TIA
Victoria
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Mapquest is a pretty neat site to use...here's the link to the page I use but you can go from there.
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map
Old 02-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
HI, Victoria. Hope you'll have a great time at our "home" park, Shenandoah. Which CG are you hosting? Perhaps we'll see you as we try to get there every spring.

When we last went to Niagara, I took the longer Interstate route in order to avoid the many mountains in PA. So I took I-81 up to the PA Turnpike, then west to Pittsburgh, then North. I meant to break up the trip, but drove it in one day - which is not my preferred way.

What I would do next time is stay a Penn Woods (the Airstream park east of Pittsburgh. Then it will be an easy trip up to Niagara.

We stayed at the KOA on Grand Island and thought it was just fine. The people were real nice and we were able to catch the tour bus right at the campground. Since we don't do many tours, we signed up for the combo package that visited both the US and CAN sides; I'd recommend you do that if you can find it in your budget. BTW - We met some folks who were staying at the Good Sam and they said they wished they had stayed at the KOA instead.

After Niagara, consider driving up to Algonquin Provincial Park. Just be sure you have reservations if you want to stay over a weekend.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Greensburg , Pennsylvania
Penn Wood Airstream Park

Hello Victoria,
I agree with the recommendation to stay at Penn Wood Airstream Park. It's our home base for the season. I also recommend, Four Mile Creek State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation this is a great place to see the sites, before you cross the border.
Check out www.pennwood.org for info on the park.
Good Luck,
Dave
pintoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Victoria, Up I 81 to 522 to I 99 to I 80 to 219 is the way we take and 219 is a good county drive into Buffalo. Cross the Peace bridge and hit Niagara Falls.
Be sure to come just north of London to our place. We have full hookups right on the Avon River, out of Stratford. You better show up.
Doug and Terry
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Thank you for all the route suggestions for route to Niagara! The Airforums/friends is a great resource that we can always count on

Our volunteering is at Rapidan Camp (Hoover's summer retreat) near the Big Meadows campground.
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Agree with Shacksman on the route he recommended. We stayed at Twin Lakes Campground in Pennsylvania's Allegheny Nat'l Forest near Wilcox on hwy 219 that was nice and cool at night when we were there on July 4th weekend. Leaving there you can make Buffalo around noon, cross the Peace Bridge and stay at the Shalimar Lake Trailer Park in Queenston, On (Shalamar@allstream.net). It is located at Line 8 on the Niagara Parkway, a good location for touring Niagara Falls and surrounds.

Incidentally the WBCCI "Discover Ontario Caravan" 7/7-31/2011 also goes to Niagara Falls. We took this caravan in 2009 and really enjoyed it. It will keep you out of the Texas heat for awhile longer too.

Enjoy! Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Victoria,

If you and Joseph get back to Loft Mountain for Columbus Day weekend, I'll hope to see you there again.

Bob
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote