Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Mine is also 5000 fully loaded, and I also have 2 kids (ages 9 & 11), so having the space and comfort for the long hauls is important. I use a Toyota Sequoia 4WD. All the power we ever need, DVD player for the kids in the back, and manageable mileage (around 13 mpg when towing).
CaliSurfBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
I tow a 2008 20' Safari with a 2009 1500 crew cab (5.3 ltr) Silverado with HD towing package and tow/haul gear. I get 18-20 mph without trailer and 13-13.5 with trailer. No kids, no pets and really enjoy the extra cab space in the crew cab. I have a "bed rack" for 2 bikes and still have room for a 35 gal tote, grills and chairs.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
One other major (at least to me) consideration: if you decided to get a generator, you may need to haul along extra fuel, i.e. a gas can. If you do that, consider whether you want it inside the cabin with you (I don't!). Absent that consideration, it's really hard to beat a Suburban/Yukon.

I tow with a 3/4 ton single rear wheel diesel pickup, but have it for reasons other than towing my Airstream. Much more power than necessary - though with its phenomenal torque and the turbocharger that helps a lot in the mountains, it is pretty nice not to have to slow down because of an uphill grade. I don't like holding other folks up, and my distant past experience is that they often get very excited and such if I do. So, it's terrific in the mountains, going up and going down, but it's way overkill on the flats.

Whatever you decide to get, be sure to get the heaviest-duty factory tow package that's available for your vehicle. That ought to get you heavier duty shocks and springs, lower gearing, probably a decent transmission cooler, extendable tow mirrors (way important), a well-tested hitch receiver, and likely a tow/haul mode transmission, wiring harnesses, and perhaps a factory built-in brake controller.

Finally, read the threads on the Forums regarding four wheel drive. Lot of opinions on both sides of that one, but don't make the decision by default. I've only NEEDED mine three times in tens of thousands of miles of towing, but those three times I needed it pretty badly. Your choice, your result!

Good luck.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would say the Toyota Tundra or F-150 with Ecoboost would be good options. I expect the Ecoboost is going to give you the best miliage and will handle high altitudes better since it is turbo-charged. If you had a bigger trailer I would tell you to get a 3/4 ton truck.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
[QUOTE=AirsDream;1119518]One other major (at least to me) consideration: if you decided to get a generator, you may need to haul along extra fuel, i.e. a gas can. If you do that, consider whether you want it inside the cabin with you (I don't!). Absent that consideration, it's really hard to beat a Suburban/Yukon.

Always remember, gas fumes sink! Always air out any enclosed deep space that has gasoline in it. Boats have bilge pump blowers purpose you run for several minutes before you attempt to spark any ignition or anything. Don't fill the containers in the truck bed, a spark can make your truck go boom, ground that container on the ground.

Safety class over....

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari
I tow a 2008 20' Safari with a 2009 1500 crew cab (5.3 ltr) Silverado with HD towing package and tow/haul gear. I get 18-20 mph without trailer and 13-13.5 with trailer. No kids, no pets and really enjoy the extra cab space in the crew cab. I have a "bed rack" for 2 bikes and still have room for a 35 gal tote, grills and chairs.
What kind of bed rack do you have for the bikes?
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
My experience has shown that a short bed, crew cab with a camper shell is perfect. By putting in a "shelf" floor (a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4 in plywood) on the built in bed indentations you will have double storage space where you can keep all the nasty, wet, muddy, sewage hoses, tools, etc, separate from the mats, chairs, bikes, etc, that you carry. Wet dogs go on my top shelf. It also provides a safe place for the generator if your so inclined. The crew cab provides for a space for the family. I really like the Ford F-150....even though, I drive a 2500 Chevy diesel.
Works for us !!!

Bk Yd ... ???
Quote:
I get 18-20 mph without trailer and 13-13.5 with trailer.
I'd hope for much faster ... ... diesel or gas ...LOL
... lots of honking behind you - I'll bet !
Excellent question - just couldn't resist the humor tonight.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Tow vehicles are winners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglemate View Post
Mornin y'all. Jan the owner of the Retromobile here...the suburban is too high miles and I need a new tow vehicle. Anyone want to throw 2 cents in on best bet? Dooleys have any advantages?
Tow vehicles are winners when it comes to getting advice. I guess by now you wish you had never asked for someone else's opinion. We are so differently inclined about trucks, but don't let it scare you away from asking other questions about other things. This forum is the greatest place to find good information about Airstream related subjects.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
A truck with a canopy, or a truck-based SUV are the two real choices. Any 1/2 ton-rated rig will manage. How much 'power' is enough really depends on your driving style. Today's truck motors are probably double in power of a truck of 20 years ago... and people seemed to manage big trailers back then.

Get something with a 'towing package' which will usually entail a transmission cooler, lower gearing, and a 7 pin harness to plug in. Heat kills, so if you are going to be towing it hot climates with long grades, an engine oil cooler is good to have as well.

Any dually is going to be a 1 ton, so you are getting a lot of 'advantages'... huge payload, huge towing... extra safety of 4 tires in the back... but with the big trucks comes big repair bills when all that heavy-duty stuff wears out. Although pulling a 5000lb trailer you might never really give a diesel dually a workout.

I went with a used Sequoia 5.7l, 4x4. It's our only vehicle so it needs to do a lot of other things that tow. One kid, one dog... and sometimes the need to stuff 7 people inside. A Suburban, Armada... same idea.

We looked at Ford, but the dealer here is a bit of a turd, and we've had good experiences with used Toyota's. Their own extended warranty is quite reasonable, and they manage it through Toyota. Dodge has some great incentives frequently, and recently they were giving away the diesel for 'free' (compared to the gas model). All the manufacturers have good financing on trucks right now it seems...

Buy what you like... there really isn't anything that won't work.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote