Old 02-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
ohhhh come on guys. the private campgrounds dont hold a candle to pfeiffer. if u dont need elect, then it's pfeiffer all the way. and Jeff is right, just about any site at pfeiffer is nice, except for a few in the wide open. the sites are very spaceous and lots of privacy in many. also great showers. plus many, many hiking trials. u can't say that about the private parks. but really, just staying anywhere in that place is a natural high and you can't go wrong. it's just plain sweet!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
True about Pfeiffer being the premier location, but if you need a few can't live withouts, the private campgrounds are good for that. You can always visit Pfeiffer during the day. Jeff

Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
austin , Texas
oh you are killing me!

we just moved from santa cruz to austin. AND we just sold our 72 22' barth (new owner lives in mendocino)

anyhow, hands down our favorite camping spot IS limekiln. it's a/b a 45 minute drive south of big sur. they don't allow rigs over 24 ft

we always stop at nepenthe for a snack beverage.

don't foget anything b/c civilization is far and expensive (can you say 4.50 for a can of beans)

it's great because it's somewhat small, you'l lbe right on the beach and yet by a stream, the trail goes into a ravine alont the stream and you will have several water crossings (balance required) and at the end you will be rewarded with a 50 ft water fall.

more LK pics here

http://www.schusterphoto.com/limekiln/index.html

obligatory barth pic (in baja)

Old 02-20-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Thanks for all the great sugestions...Mike, we plan to visit both Big Sur and Pinaccles soon so maybe we can over lap with you...I would love to see your rig...We're heading to the Sonoma Coast tomorrow for a shakedown trip...joe...
Old 02-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1964 17' Bambi II
Santa Cruz , California
Camping in California

Yosemite!!! My favorite place to be. Go before mid May,the crowds will be smaller and the waterfalls will be at full flow. Sunday thru Thursday are the best. Make reservations online for the valley floor. Most of the other campgrounds can be done on a first come-first serve basis. Wawona is open year round,the rest won't open till the snow melts. Joshua Tree is a great place in the desert,close to Palm Springs. Be sure to take the tram-way to Mt. San Jacinto. Hwy 4, east of Angels Camp begins the Ebbetts Pass Scenic Byway is beautiful,Calaveras Big Trees State Park makes a great base camp to explore further up the Pass. Lots of other camp grounds can be found at the higher elevations,check about road and snow conditions. I have camped all over California for the past 30 years and have found numerous out of the way destinations, contact me for more of the lesser known places. Mark
Old 02-25-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hey S C Streamer- Welcome to the forum. I think you are the first one from Santa Cruz that i have seen. Just wanted to extend an invitation to the NorCal Forum Rally in April along the Russian River. It would be great to meet you and hear about some out-of-the-way camping spots you have found over the years. Join us if you can.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Mark,

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have an experienced California traveller on board.

With your experience and intimate knowledge of places in California, please consider sharing by adding to the template shown in the thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...light=affinity

Please join us at Casini Ranch at the end of April.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

canton , tx
Thanks for the info Mark...I will contact you when I get closer to my next outing...just got back from the Sonoma Coast on our shakedown outing, it was great...bought our mh in Santa Cruz a week ago....joe...
Old 02-26-2006, 06:07 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
And one last Big Sur suggestion: Limekiln state park. It's a bit farther south, but if I remember correctly, it has sites that you can see the ocean from, by crossing by UNDER the PCHW. I just wish we lived close enough to tow our AS there! And this might actually be the first year since 97 we won't have been to Monterey county 8?(. Oh well, have fun!

John
Old 02-26-2006, 06:57 AM   #24
gunnyusmc

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Texas
Cal Camping

Donner Summit, Gold Run, Josua Tree, Anza Barrago & Castasic Lake.