Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #1
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Nebraska?

Planning a trip from Missouri to the Tetons. Need a good, family-friendly overnight in the middle of Nebraska off I80. Running into a situation where the state parks are requiring two night minimum reservations. Will be in peak season for the trip, so reluctant to not have a reservation somewhere. Was hoping the collective wisdom might have some suggestions. Been hitting the available apps and such for reviews, not feeling like I’m finding any gems. Want to avoid places with a bunch of long-termers.

Thanks in advance to all.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Try Mormon Island State Recreation Area just off Rt 80 by Grand Island, NE. Very nice, well kept, non-commercial. They offer reservation and non-reservations sites. Check their website. Be sure to stop at the Great Platte River Road Archway about 40 miles west. It spans Route 80 and is a neat Great Plains pioneer history museum designed by a Walt Disney team from Orlando. Very well done. Next stop of interest west is North Platte, home of Buffalo Bill Cody and the Golden Spike Tower overlooking Union Pacific’s Bailey Yard. Lots of railroad and Wild West history in the area. Not to mention the North Platte Canteen. If you’re not familiar, read the history of how the towns people met every train carrying soldiers and sailors that stopped at the North Platte rail station for over 4 1/2 years during WW2. More than 6 million soldiers and sailors!! Each one met and treated to home cooked food and baked treats.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:40 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Delmar , New York
Don't know about Nebraska but often times two nights at a state park is the same or cheaper than one at a commercial. Just because you payed for two nights dosn't mean you have tow stay for two.
kenen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
West of North Platte — a short detour to Paxton and lunch at Ole’s Big Game Bar can be fun.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We stayed at I-80 Lakeview RV Park on the east side of NP. Pretty nice park.

What route are you planning from there on? We generally leave I-80 west of NP and head up thru Scottsbluff and Casper. Lots to see in western Nebraska, so you might want to plan a day there. Ash Hollow, Windlass Hill, Chimney Rock, Courthouse Rock, Jail Rock, Scotts Bluff are all there.

I-80 is about 400 miles in Nebraska, so keep that in mind. Columbia to Lincoln is a long day's drive, at least for us. Do you have a stopping place near Lincoln? We've stayed at Waubonsie SP. That's in Iowa, just outside of Nebraska City. Lincoln is another 60 miles. Waubonsie to NP would be a nice drive, then NP to Gurnsey SP in WY, only a few miles across the State line, is another nice day's drive.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Join Harvest Hosts, $44 for a year and there's approximately 10 sites near enough to I80 in Nebraska you can stay at "free"
Old 12-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
LaVista , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Join Harvest Hosts, $44 for a year and there's approximately 10 sites near enough to I80 in Nebraska you can stay at "free"

There are a lot of state parks in Lincoln Pawnee Lake and Branched Oak Lake and a few others but if you come on a Sunday through Thursday first comes are always available. If you want to go further west north Platte has holiday RV park which is right off I80 it’s older but very clean and right off the interstate. I like to stay at Holiday RV Park on my way out west.If you go up to the Panhandle of Nebraska there is Fort Robinson state park which is a great stop and lots of history.
Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:04 AM   #8
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Thanks all for the feedback. I was planning on staying on 80 into Wyoming then heading to Glendora’s state park for a night up I25 before making it to around the South Gate of Yellowstone the next day. The Mormon island park was appealing because it evenly split the trip, but the 2 night minimum with the state park entry fee had me looking for other options, but I may end up pulling the trigger on that. I’ll also check out Harvest Hosts because I’ve never heard of that as well as the other sites suggested. Thanks again for the input!
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote