Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2015, 03:30 PM   #1
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Nearly Lost His Life over $300

I got some sad news today. My brother, who drives a very expensive Class A Diesel Pusher nearly lost his life yesterday.

He and his wife were driving their motorhome in sweltering heat in New Mexico. His wife, my sister-in-law, was chatting on the phone with my sister. They stopped into a gas station and then hit the road again. My sister called back ten minutes after they talked, got my sister-in-law who was in a panic.

She said that they had a blowout on the right front tire and the motorhome had gone down an embankment into a treeline. My brother could not recover to the road, but had been able to keep it upright going down the embankment.

The motorhome is badly damaged. My sister-in-law was terrified. Their dog was terrified. My brother has a broken back.

I had talked with him about using my Tire Pressure Monitoring System and told him that it monitored and alarmed on both tire pressure and excess heat. He said "I can tell if a tire is going wrong. I don't need one of those."

My brother is a great driver. But what an expensive lesson. A nearly totaled motorhome and a broken back, and possibly paralyzed (we'll know tomorrow), over a $300 TPMS.

Mine has already saved me once. I wish he had not been so confident in his own skills and had let a little technology do what it does best.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Sigh. Hope he will be ok. That's a hard lesson.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
That's a story that gives me pause to think.

Although most of us have never had this experience, and hopefully never will, it's a sobering reminder that while driving a big vehicle may be somewhat similar to a car, managing it in the midst of a major mechanical failure is something else entirely.

Glad to hear that everyone at least survived. Best wishes to all.
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
What brand of TPMS do you use? Any problem getting a signal inside TV?
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Nothing but good wishes for you and yours.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
I happened to watch a blurb recently somewhere that discussed big rig or motorhome front blowouts. The PSM stated to fully accelerate until straightline control is maintained, then slowly reduce acceleration and coast to stop.....DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES AT ALL. The PSM was pretty adamant, "touch the brakes and you die".

I'm not 100% sure TPMS would help in 100% of these situations occurring, as they may have struck a road hazard, especially in Mexico, but having TPMS, a thermal gun and a daily ritual of tire pressure and condition would help.

I wish your brother and sister in law all the best for a speedy recovery and to the OP, please go easy on the "I told you so", even if you're right.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How awful for everyone!

I hope your brother will be okay, and wish you all strength to get thru this.

Maggie
Old 09-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Mankind survived for a hundred years prior to TPMS.Good tire maintenance, and dilligent observation is the key! Ive not had good luck with TMPS on many different vehicles. Its just a way to alert me that I just suffered a catastrophic failure and something bad/expensive happened!
Sorry about the unpleasant episode, glad nobody got hurt!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Mankind survived for a hundred years prior to TPMS.Good tire maintenance, and dilligent observation is the key! Ive not had good luck with TMPS on many different vehicles. Its just a way to alert me that I just suffered a catastrophic failure and something bad/expensive happened!
Well said. There is not enough info given to determine if tpms would have helped or if low tire pressure was even the cause.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
There is no making light of the results of the accident.
I have a TPMS as standard on my truck and it could not have warned me of the one blowout I have had.
Scared the heck out of me it was so sudden.
As with the previous poster, I believe in good tire maintenance
I've got enough to do while driving without having one more monitor to watch

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
There is not enough info given to determine if tpms would have helped or if low tire pressure was even the cause.
What I was thinking.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
That is horrible. I have been in a car that went down an embankment, off a small cliff and turned over in a 3 ft deep creek- awful. I hope he is ok. It's hard to say about the TPMS in this case though mine warned me twice about a tire overheating 5 degrees. I do not discount them for they tell low pressure, quick loss and heat. Pretty helpful.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I understand your brother's reasoning and his point is valid. TPMS is not a guarantee of blowout protection, although it may help in some conditions.

We have it on the truck, not the Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Nothing to say - just wishing the very best for your brother, sister in law and their pet. Very scary - and very sorry to hear this....be well.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Glad they are ok. Inspecting tires at every stop is the best way to prevent problems. I am always finding screws and nails in tires before they go flat. Just paying attention to that nail head in a tire tread or seeing one tire sitting low compared to the others. I see tires running down the road all the time that are about to blow. Feel the tires, you can tell if one is running hot compared to the others. A blind man can tell you which tire is low on pressure. Maybe we need to carry a blind man with us to tell us which tire is low.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Praying for your family.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Prayers up!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Tools, monitors and the like, that provide information of "any" kind promoting safety information, is always a 100 percent winner.

Motor vehicles today, are increasingly including such equipment, that airplanes have used for decades.

Unfortunately, a few folks consider those things as a waste.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Hope all goes well for this guy. For the rest of us we should remember that heat kills rubber. As tires roll down the road they get hot from the friction of flexing. In the south part of the country the road is hot enough to cook on and the air is not much cooler by mid day. We cruise along in air conditioned comfort without a thought as to what is going on outside. My parents used to get up at the crack of stupid and be on the road by 4:00 AM. It was cooler then and we kids would sleep in the back seat. We had no air conditioning. By 2:00 PM they were done and would find a place with a pool to relax and stay cool. Driving during the cool of the early morning made sense for them. It still does.
Slowing down also reduces stress on tires and gives more time to deal with things that go wrong.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kswelsh View Post
What brand of TPMS do you use? Any problem getting a signal inside TV?
The TPMS I use is the Tire Minder. I run it on all 10 tires. It has helped me several times. Once on the TV and twice on the trailer. Two of those was low tire pressure (a screw in the front streetside trailer tire, and a nail in the front curbside TV tire), and once with high tire temperature on a rear curbside trailer tire that was beginning to lose its tread.

We have a 34' triple axle Avion, and we have no problems receiving the signal from the rear tires. The receiver is on the windshield next to the rearview mirror.

The accident happened in New Mexico, not Mexico. I can't say for sure that the TPMS would have saved him. The story will be in the shredded tire.

I certainly don't mean to be saying "Na Na, I told you so." And I understand the arguments that people have survived for decades without TPMS. But a walk-around would not have told me about the three TPMS warnings I got. I know that because I don't rely on the TPMS alarms to replace a walk-around. I do check tire pressure and temperature and thump every tire each time before I start, and there were no indications. I use the TPMS to check tire pressure and temp and they were all in proper range before the warnings, and there were no dull returns on the tire thumps.

But I follow the old rule "When you die, you're dead a long time." A TPMS seems awfully prudent, I think. I think it's possible that my brother would not have a broken back now if he had had one.

He's a wonderful guy and I love him dearly.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote