Old 09-07-2015, 02:37 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
To those that don't think a TPMS is of value I would challenge them to tape over the gauges on the dash.

Who needs to know the Oil pressure or water temperature of alternator output etc etc. You can check all these things at each fuel stop.

Its only in the past few years that the cost and reliability of this new technology has made it reasonable to have on all tires on the highway.

Yes they are not 100% in that they don't warn about belt separation but that condition can usually be observed with close examination of the tire for unusual wear conditions. BUT they are almost 100% for warning of low pressure if you set them up correctly and don't ignore the warnings.

Yes they will work on TT. You may need a signal booster but many of those selling TPMS can help answer those questions.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:52 PM   #30
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Tools, monitors and the like, that provide information of "any" kind promoting safety information, is always a 100 percent winner.

Motor vehicles today, are increasingly including such equipment, that airplanes have used for decades.

Unfortunately, a few folks consider those things as a waste.

Andy
All I'm saying is that too many people rely on instrumentation and technology vs a visual inspection .
Seeing a screw sticking out of a tire will alert you to the impending failure way before TPMS will!
Like I stated before, TPMS alerts you to failure after it has already happened, a visual alerts while you are safely stationary.
I have TPMS on all dozen or more of my vehicles, I don't disregard it, just not depend on it.

Old 09-07-2015, 04:12 PM   #31
Glamper Girl

2008 23' International
Sunny San Diego , California
Oh wow, Im so sorry to hear about the accident. I hope your family can recover from this and your brother will be ok. We will keep him in our prayers.

I agree with the TPMS, they are well worth their value both monetary and safety!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #32

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Great Information

I think this is a great reason to read the info on this site.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:29 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
Rivet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Mankind survived for a hundred years prior to TPMS.Good tire maintenance, and dilligent observation is the key! Ive not had good luck with TMPS on many different vehicles. Its just a way to alert me that I just suffered a catastrophic failure and something bad/expensive happened!
Sorry about the unpleasant episode, glad nobody got hurt!
When a radial truck tire self destructs resulting in an instant loss of all air pressure, the expensive TPMS will sound the alarm only after all the damage has been done
Old 09-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Bend , Oregon
Can one be put on a travel trailer ( our Airstream) sounds like even tho it might be one more monitor to watch, it might be worth watching.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, maybe $300.00 would have better spent on new or better tires?????? What was the condition and age of the tires on this motorhome? [dot code, weather cracking, tread depth Etc.]

Wishing the best for all involved.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I have been driving big trucks for. 48 years, 4 axle truck with 3 axle trailer, 14-16000 lbs on the steer axle, I run the max air pressure of 120 lbs, you do a look see every time you stop, my front tires are changed every 40- 50000 miles, which is 5-6 months,I have never blown a steer tire. My life depends on them, It would be interesting to know how much air is in the remaining front tire of that motorhome....
I have a friend who used to run his motorhome michelins with 65 lbs of air pressure as it rode smoother, he blew one in New Mexico on a narrow bridge ,after that he run the max pressure .he was lucky.......
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I run a TST TPMS and am curious if it would warn against all blowouts? I mean does a blow out give a temp or tire pressure warning so you know its going to go or do some of them just radically explode with no warning?

The reason I ask is because we had a horrendous blow out at highway speed on an interstate this year. It was diver side rear on the tow vehicle. We hear a thump thump thump and no sooner did we say "what is that" did we have the blow out.

Since then, TMPS and new tires, but I am not sure the TPMS would have saved us.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
TPMS is useful up to a point. It may or may not warn of an impending tire failure.

It's implied from the beginning here that TPMS would prevent a blowout. That's not a good message to spread around.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:52 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydimitt View Post
When a radial truck tire self destructs resulting in an instant loss of all air pressure, the expensive TPMS will sound the alarm only after all the damage has been done
It's not a risk elimination device. It is a risk reduction device. Mine has saved more money than it has cost. 4 loss of air instances. Did it save from major damage? Probably. Certainly saved 4 tires. Did it saves from a wreck? Don't know because it didn't happen. That's what it is all about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:05 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I guess if I wreck due to a blowout atleast I will have the satisfaction of knowing I did what I could do, by running with a TPMS, good tires and periodic inspections.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
Best wishes for your brother and the family. Hind sight is always 20/20 and i told you so was never a cure. concentrate on the issues at hand and keep a positive attitude. Be there for them.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
I run a TST TPMS and am curious if it would warn against all blowouts? I mean does a blow out give a temp or tire pressure warning so you know its going to go or do some of them just radically explode with no warning?

The reason I ask is because we had a horrendous blow out at highway speed on an interstate this year. It was diver side rear on the tow vehicle. We hear a thump thump thump and no sooner did we say "what is that" did we have the blow out.

Since then, TMPS and new tires, but I am not sure the TPMS would have saved us.

Blowouts can happen, and a TPMS won't prevent such or give much warning. A true blowout occurs very quickly, without gradual loss of pressure. My TST TPMS did sound the alarm when one of our Michelin LTX M/S P235/75R15XL blew out at 65 mph on I 75 this year. No prior warning, just 50 to 0 psi in a few seconds. Just after dark, and 10 miles to the next exit. Slowed to 50, and our FC23FB rolled steadily on. Amazingly steady. Changed the tire at the next exit. Ruined the tire, but safer than changing it on the shoulder in the dark. 20,000 miles on the 2 year old Michelin, it was simply a road hazard that left a huge cut in the tread near the sidewall. Resolved any questions of the value of carrying a spare on the Airstream.

Safe Travels,
Jamu Joe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote