Old 01-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post

We now take US-60 out of Phoenix to Wickenburg. Then, US-93 to I-40, near Kingman. I-40 west to Barstow. Then, State Route 58 to the I-5 west of Bakersfield, near Buttonwillow. (Send me a PM, if you would like more details.)
Thanks. Yes, I think that's the route of the future. We went through 58 last year and I recall no trouble.

We've permanently "red lined" the 210 Foothill Freeway, I'll tell you that!

We've only had out AS for a year, but we have logged about 15,000 miles so far. I have a fear that roads are simply getting worse over time, and that RV and TV maintenance is going to be a real killer in the future. I haven't been out on the long distance roads since the 1970s and really I am shocked. Maybe it's a case of "misty memory" but I thought the roads were smooth back then. When we bought the AS, "rotten roads" was not even a thought in my mind! I guess we will get used to it.

Someone might want to make a business venture out of publishing a "Preferred RV Road Map."

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
This is America . . pencil in "privatize all profit, socialize all losses" as the beginning of any search on a societal topic. It's fruitful, to say the least.

The Interstates were not built as were the Autobahns. Fast construction was the operative term. A big mistake was in connecting the cities . . the fear was that being left off the IH system would destroy those not connected as had happened with railroads. Feeders to/from cities would have worked better. As would not allowing development within a 1/2-mile setback from either side of the IH easement. The IH system has been used by real estate development (the big box store, the distant suburb) as an enormous waste of resources in metro expansion.

"De-regulating" the trucks in 1978 killed much of what you pleasently remembered. And truck lengths/weights have gone up dramatically (far past what was originally envisioned). The IH system is essentially a fat subsidy to one transportation sector since fuel taxes don't come close to covering the cost. And with all of America's products now coming from overseas -- and virtually no storage -- the "warehouse" is rolling the highway. Times millions. The number of trucks on the road today versus 1973 is enormous (however adjusted).

The 2-trillion dollar delayed infrastructure maintenance/replacement bill the United States faces for reductions the 50-years is partially shown in the IH system.

Ask whether the Federal fuel tax -- unable to support the roads since 1992 -- should again be raised to repair/replace this road system segments. The beauty of the original vision was that users supported it through tax. We'd see that whining in another thread.

Population increases explain much of the rest (# of persons/cars vs miles of roads) since 1970.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

"De-regulating" the trucks in 1978 killed much of what you pleasently remembered. And truck lengths/weights have gone up dramatically (far past what was originally envisioned). The IH system is essentially a fat subsidy to one transportation sector since fuel taxes don't come close to covering the cost. And with all of America's products now coming from overseas -- and virtually no storage -- the "warehouse" is rolling the highway. Times millions. The number of trucks on the road today versus 1973 is enormous (however adjusted).
Apparently, there are about 2 million tractor/trailer trucks on the road. Some detailed stats are found here: Trucking Statistics - Truckinfo.net

I have to say, I am worried about what RVing will be like in 10 years if the roads keep deteriorating. Sometimes my ideals are too high.
Thanks REDNAX.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I lived in San Diego from 1996-2004. Those 8 years -- while filled with great weather -- and "Proposition You Name It" -- along with higher costs for everything (explained as "The Sunshine Tax"), convinced me that while I COULD have stayed there and retired, it was wise to seek other surroundings. The highway infrastructure is grossly inadequate, canalized north and southbound by I-5 eventually turning into I 405, I-15 and locally, I-805 are daily parking lots. Ever rising tax rates, so-so (and declining) public services, were added reasons to head out. I love California for a lot of reasons, but it not friendly to businesses (which have been and continue to leave), or to those who'd rather keep more of their hard earned money than give it away. I feel sorry for those who can't leave as I was able to do.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
We travel between Phoenix and San Francisco several times a year. Long ago, we used to use State Route 210 (the Foothills Freeway) to bypass LA. However, the bucking on I-10 between Indio and Redlands made us seek a different route. Besides, the traffic and smog in LA makes this an undesirable route for us.

We now take US-60 out of Phoenix to Wickenburg. Then, US-93 to I-40, near Kingman. I-40 west to Barstow. Then, State Route 58 to the I-5 west of Bakersfield, near Buttonwillow. (Send me a PM, if you would like more details.)

This route is a little more remote; but it's scenic, and it's all good highway. Even the two lane stretches have good shoulders, and one can maintain 55-60 mph, which is all you can do on the California Interstates, anyway.

Campgrounds that we use along this route include the following:

* Burrow Creek (BLM) Campground - US-93 south of I-40, near Wikieup, AZ

* Brite Lake (County Park) Campground - State Route 58, near Tehachapi, CA

* Basalt (State Park) Campground - State Route 52, near San Luis Reservoir (West of Los Banos, CA on the Gilroy cut-off). Note: There are several campgrounds near this recreation area, including a KOA.

We sometimes take I-10 west out of Phoenix to Joshua Tree National Park, where we stop overnight. (Be sure to top off your fuel tanks in Quartzsite, because gas is much higher in California.) Then, drive through the park and exit at the north end; and continue through Apple Valley, Victorville and Adelanto, up to Kramer Junction, where we continue west on State Route 58 to Buttonwillow and the I-5.

We used to dread going through LA. Now, this trip is a pleasant drive that bypasses all of the traffic and smog.
I have lived in Cal my whole life, and agree with above poster, avoid LA at all costs when RVing. From Arizona I10, take I95 north to I40, I58 thru Bakersfield. I99 is not so bad to Fresno where I live, however, I99 north has some bad stretches. None are as bad as the LA freeways. I am refraining from all comments on political reasons for bad roads and spending waste by our officials.(Ba-Humbug).
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #20
Jack Dog in So Cal

2013 16' Sport
Orange , California
California Roads

I've lived in Orange County all my life and I'm counting the days when I can retire (I think) in ten years and enjoy the good life in the Eastern Sierra.

We have to plan the times when we leave and arrive home due to the high traffic levels. We're able to stay in the second lane from the right at 60 mph so keeping up with traffic isn't too bad.

It's clear that the state government isn't all that interested in keeping up our infrastructure but at least we'll have a cool bullet train that no one will ride (The Brown Streak).

Jack Dog
in So Cal
Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I lived in San Diego (Coronado) in the 60's-70's and remember pleasant drives wherever we went. Guess that's all gone now.

We spend winters now in the Southwest and would like to spend some months on the Calif coast. Are the areas north of L.A. so bad, traffic and road conditions?

doug k
Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I've lived in Orange County all my life and I'm counting the days when I can retire (I think) in ten years and enjoy the good life in the Eastern Sierra.

We have to plan the times when we leave and arrive home due to the high traffic levels. We're able to stay in the second lane from the right at 60 mph so keeping up with traffic isn't too bad.

It's clear that the state government isn't all that interested in keeping up our infrastructure but at least we'll have a cool bullet train that no one will ride (The Brown Streak).

Jack Dog
in So Cal
When the train comes alive, we can all say "HI HO SILVER", like the ole days.

Not only will the train move fast, so will the money losses because of it.

But, "what do we know" ?

Andy
Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
In addition to the poor roads, I also notice slowwww road construction. It's a mystery to me. You can drive along 10 miles of coned off, half ripped up roadway on a weekday, and if you count 6 workers and 1 piece of equipment it would be a miracle. There are never any substantial work crews on these projects. And they take years to accomplish what looks like should take a month.

I know there's some old maxim which says, "one woman can make one baby in nine months, but nine women can't make a baby in a month," but surely a few more men can make a freeway in under 5 years, can't they?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sadly we all are paying for that Kalifornistan train through the California bailout. Another factor is the alternative fuel cars not running on gasoline. I heard there is a surcharge tax on them coming to help pay for the roads they use but are not taxed as the funding is through gasoline they do not use or use enough of.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Sadly we all are paying for that Kalifornistan train through the California bailout. Another factor is the alternative fuel cars not running on gasoline. I heard there is a surcharge tax on them coming to help pay for the roads they use but are not taxed as the funding is through gasoline they do not use or use enough of.
BTW Rodster, when we were in FLA a couple weeks ago, we were blown away by the quality of the roads. Some of the best we've ever seen. Man, what I wouldn't give to have those roads in a lower humidity! :-)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
They are pretty good for the most part. It is only because any cracks seem to melt together in the summer! Most probable to lack of freezing. Yeah, we have humidity and thanks to our state bug (the mosquito) it keeps the population thinned out half the year.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
How do you guy ever go fast enough in LA to even notice these bumps in the roads? I always just imagine I'm driving on some offroad trail to my destination.

I live in Long Beach, meaning any time I go anywhere it is via at least 20 miles of terrible roads. Honestly, you learn to accept it and factor it into the travel time and cost of maintenance of your vehicle and trailer. If I lived somewhere else, I would just complain about not being a few hours away from the sierras and the desert, while being 20 minutes from the beach. Or I'd complain about not having an 11 month sailing season. I'd complain that I only have 1 national park within four hours of driving away, not 6. I'll take the price. ;-)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
In addition to the poor roads, I also notice slowwww road construction. It's a mystery to me. You can drive along 10 miles of coned off, half ripped up roadway on a weekday, and if you count 6 workers and 1 piece of equipment it would be a miracle. There are never any substantial work crews on these projects. And they take years to accomplish what looks like should take a month.

I know there's some old maxim which says, "one woman can make one baby in nine months, but nine women can't make a baby in a month," but surely a few more men can make a freeway in under 5 years, can't they?
Hi, it can be done; After the Northridge Earth Quake an independent construction company rebuilt the broken freeways in about six months. Cal-Trans and the Unions want job security.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote