Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I lived in San Diego (Coronado) in the 60's-70's and remember pleasant drives wherever we went. Guess that's all gone now.

We spend winters now in the Southwest and would like to spend some months on the Calif coast. Are the areas north of L.A. so bad, traffic and road conditions?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I've lived in Orange County all my life and I'm counting the days when I can retire (I think) in ten years and enjoy the good life in the Eastern Sierra.

We have to plan the times when we leave and arrive home due to the high traffic levels. We're able to stay in the second lane from the right at 60 mph so keeping up with traffic isn't too bad.

It's clear that the state government isn't all that interested in keeping up our infrastructure but at least we'll have a cool bullet train that no one will ride (The Brown Streak).

Jack Dog
in So Cal
When the train comes alive, we can all say "HI HO SILVER", like the ole days.

Not only will the train move fast, so will the money losses because of it.

But, "what do we know" ?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
In addition to the poor roads, I also notice slowwww road construction. It's a mystery to me. You can drive along 10 miles of coned off, half ripped up roadway on a weekday, and if you count 6 workers and 1 piece of equipment it would be a miracle. There are never any substantial work crews on these projects. And they take years to accomplish what looks like should take a month.

I know there's some old maxim which says, "one woman can make one baby in nine months, but nine women can't make a baby in a month," but surely a few more men can make a freeway in under 5 years, can't they?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Sadly we all are paying for that Kalifornistan train through the California bailout. Another factor is the alternative fuel cars not running on gasoline. I heard there is a surcharge tax on them coming to help pay for the roads they use but are not taxed as the funding is through gasoline they do not use or use enough of.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Sadly we all are paying for that Kalifornistan train through the California bailout. Another factor is the alternative fuel cars not running on gasoline. I heard there is a surcharge tax on them coming to help pay for the roads they use but are not taxed as the funding is through gasoline they do not use or use enough of.
BTW Rodster, when we were in FLA a couple weeks ago, we were blown away by the quality of the roads. Some of the best we've ever seen. Man, what I wouldn't give to have those roads in a lower humidity! :-)
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
They are pretty good for the most part. It is only because any cracks seem to melt together in the summer! Most probable to lack of freezing. Yeah, we have humidity and thanks to our state bug (the mosquito) it keeps the population thinned out half the year.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
How do you guy ever go fast enough in LA to even notice these bumps in the roads? I always just imagine I'm driving on some offroad trail to my destination.

I live in Long Beach, meaning any time I go anywhere it is via at least 20 miles of terrible roads. Honestly, you learn to accept it and factor it into the travel time and cost of maintenance of your vehicle and trailer. If I lived somewhere else, I would just complain about not being a few hours away from the sierras and the desert, while being 20 minutes from the beach. Or I'd complain about not having an 11 month sailing season. I'd complain that I only have 1 national park within four hours of driving away, not 6. I'll take the price. ;-)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
In addition to the poor roads, I also notice slowwww road construction. It's a mystery to me. You can drive along 10 miles of coned off, half ripped up roadway on a weekday, and if you count 6 workers and 1 piece of equipment it would be a miracle. There are never any substantial work crews on these projects. And they take years to accomplish what looks like should take a month.

I know there's some old maxim which says, "one woman can make one baby in nine months, but nine women can't make a baby in a month," but surely a few more men can make a freeway in under 5 years, can't they?
Hi, it can be done; After the Northridge Earth Quake an independent construction company rebuilt the broken freeways in about six months. Cal-Trans and the Unions want job security.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I thought the 405 was going to kill our truck and trailer. Like someone else said of his wife, I, too, was so worried & anxious about our rig I was ready to cry!

We went from Arkansas all the way to Yellowstone, Glacier National, and all the way back down through Washington, Oregon & California, mostly by the sea - and the worst roads anywhere were in California, particularly Los Angeles.

One missing piece of pavement between Santa Rosa and San Francisco (can't remember which road it was) caused us to chew up two front tires because the truck was knocked out of alignment! Felt like the axles broke- and I'm not kidding.

Other than San Francisco, there's nothing else I need to see in California that would be worth traversing those roads.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote