Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
near ocean in the Pacific northwest?

I was hoping to find a cool rv park near the ocean in Oregon this fall/winter that has monthly rates. Can anyone recommend a spot for me? My brother and sister live in Portland and I thought it would be cool to visit them occasionally, and I've always wanted to camp near the ocean. Thanks for any tips!

Smoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Stayed here [http://www.seaandsandrvpark.com/] last year and enjoyed it as a Base Camp for explorations North and South along the Coast. Don't miss Tidal Raves [www.tidalraves.com] for dinner in Depoe Bay.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Maybe Anita (Coastalme) will chime in, she'd know. Otherwise, send her a PM.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Do you like rain, wind and clouds? November through spring are the worst time along the Pacific coast. Check weather averages for coastal towns on the internet.

Nonetheless, we are thinking about traveling up the coast starting late October. Living in the high desert drives you toward the ocean, rain, wind and clouds, although after a week of it, we start going loopy.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
We're natives to that area, and have spent a lot of time on the coast during the "green and grey". Electrical is a must, as with propane heat, you'll rot the coach out with moisture. We carry electric heaters (two liquid-filled and two ceramic) to keep the sweating at bay. That being said, the coast, with the smell of the salt air, storms, wind and rain, is a very wonderfull experience.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1958 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
I love stormy weather at the beach! And so do the dogs!
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Yeah I like stormy weather too..after spending the last few winters in southern Arizona I'm ready for a change of scenery. Thanks for the tips.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Do you like rain, wind and clouds? November through spring are the worst time along the Pacific coast. Check weather averages for coastal towns on the internet.

Nonetheless, we are thinking about traveling up the coast starting late October. Living in the high desert drives you toward the ocean, rain, wind and clouds, although after a week of it, we start going loopy.

Gene
Yep, we miss it growing up in the Seattle area. That's why we are spending a week in Oregon on the beach now, and then Seattle area with family. But you won't seen much sun after sept.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
One of my fantasies is to be a storm chaser. Barb doesn't share that desire for some reason. I don't know what's wrong with her. When I was in college, a friend and I went chasing a hurricane—that was fun. When I lived in Buffalo and the sky opened up, I used to go out in the storm to see all the snow, or go down to Lake Erie to watch the waves crash over the piers. When we lived in the mountains just west of Denver, 3' of snow was exciting although I didn't care for the shovel part.

I like crazy weather and look forward to being on the coast in November. Maybe we'll have a tsunami when the earthquake hits off shore (note to me: go to RV parks way above the ocean!). Sounds like fun.

Gene
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I use to go camping on the coast in the winter and stay in shelters they had built for ship wrecks. I loved finding all the stuff that washed up on the beach during those storms. We would even find glass balls the Japanese used for floating their fishing nets. I'm with you Gene, I love a good storm. Wind , rain, thunder and lighten. I sit on our deck at home and watch the storms roll over the Mesa.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Debris from the tsunami in Japan is washing up on the northwest coast now and more will come in the fall and winter. Who knows—you may be able to find a slightly damaged nuclear power plant to take home.

Gene
Old 07-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
We love the wet coast, living here is bonus (just 8 miles north of the Blaine Peace Arch border crossing.

We also love sunshine, warmth, and wearing shorts and t-shirts most of the year, being from the Prairies and enjoying the summers of old there.

We get the spring (and summer - where the heck is that sun?), and fall storms on the coast, then we pack up with our old cat Smokey, and head to AZ for the heat, sun, etc. It really helps being in the warmth from a physical standpoint. My joints do not ache nearly as much as they do at home in the winter wet, same goes for my wife, and our old cat (17) acts like he's 10.

The coast in winter is really neat, we enjoy it too when we are here, and coming in to the trailer or the house and warming up with a hot mug of coffee or hot chocolate is great and generally cg's are not very busy - but dang, sitting out under the awning with a cold drink at hand at 9 in the morning and again in the evening in AZ seems to be a much better way to spend ones winter . IMHO at least
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Funny you should ask, we're staying at a very nice park right now in Seaside Circle Creek RV Park & Campground

Last night in Florence then over to Portland tomorrow. The drive form Seaside to Portland looks to be just a couple of hours. This park is very nice and already planning a return trip.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
This will be an interesting winter for the coast. Lots of Tsunami debris is hitting the shore. I like to sit on a bluff up in Neah Bay or La Push and watch the rain blowing in, in torrents drenching everything. There's a lot of tribal land along the WA coast. Try that. You may be able to stay on reservation land pretty cheap. They get over 100 inches of rain a year on the average so it does get depressing, but if you travel over to Sequim by Port Angeles they only get about 30 inches because they are in the Olympic Mountains rain shadow.

It's a beautiful, rugged area. Read Ken Kesey's "Sometimes a Great Notion". His description of wet winter living in the area is the best I have ever read.

Dan
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Funny you should ask, we're staying at a very nice park right now in Seaside Circle Creek RV Park & Campground

Last night in Florence then over to Portland tomorrow. The drive form Seaside to Portland looks to be just a couple of hours. This park is very nice and already planning a return trip.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
One of my fantasies is to be a storm chaser. Barb doesn't share that desire for some reason. I don't know what's wrong with her. When I was in college, a friend and I went chasing a hurricane—that was fun. When I lived in Buffalo and the sky opened up, I used to go out in the storm to see all the snow, or go down to Lake Erie to watch the waves crash over the piers. When we lived in the mountains just west of Denver, 3' of snow was exciting although I didn't care for the shovel part.

I like crazy weather and look forward to being on the coast in November. Maybe we'll have a tsunami when the earthquake hits off shore (note to me: go to RV parks way above the ocean!). Sounds like fun.

Gene
Hi, we're ready for almost anything, now that we have an ice scraper and a snow brush.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Bob, you won't need any ice or snow tools. Only plenty of Sikaflex.

Dan
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Bob, you won't need any ice or snow tools. Only plenty of Sikaflex.

Dan
Hi, it seems that after we have already been there and done that, "Bob and Lee's random trip" is when we buy what we were supposed to have.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
This will be an interesting winter for the coast. Lots of Tsunami debris is hitting the shore. I like to sit on a bluff up in Neah Bay or La Push and watch the rain blowing in, in torrents drenching everything. There's a lot of tribal land along the WA coast. Try that. You may be able to stay on reservation land pretty cheap. They get over 100 inches of rain a year on the average so it does get depressing, but if you travel over to Sequim by Port Angeles they only get about 30 inches because they are in the Olympic Mountains rain shadow.

It's a beautiful, rugged area. Read Ken Kesey's "Sometimes a Great Notion". His description of wet winter living in the area is the best I have ever read.

Dan
Tribal land sounds interesting. I stayed a few months on Sauvie Island north of Portland and don't think I saw the sun once. It was just steady drizzle and gray skies. I have to admit it got to me and I made a mad dash for Arizona. I think lack of sunshine causes melatonin deficiency. I could probably handle it for a month, then perhaps work my way down the California coast.

Are there proper thunderstorms on the coast?...or is it just a steady drizzle like Portland? One of my hobbies is actually recording thunderstorms with a portable audio recorder.

Thanks for all the tips!

Eric

Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This is one of our favorites:

Sea Perch RV Resort
[url]www.seaperchrvresort.com

"The Jewel of the Oregon Coast". 95480 Highway 101 S., Yachats, Oregon 97498 Milepost 171. Phone: (541) 547-3505.
smeltersmoke is offline   Reply With Quote