Old 11-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
NE to SE in Nov.

I'm planning to travel from RI to FL this month and am unsure if it's necessary to winterize the Airstream as this is our first year trailering in cold weather and November can get below freezing before we reach the warmer climate. If it should fall to freezing while on the highway, is it okay to use the propane heater while driving and will that keep the plumbing from freezing.
We plan to travel the S-95 corridor with a short stay in Myrtle Beach, SC, so any suggestions on where to overnight would be appreciated.
Bud

Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
You should not be carrying stuff in the waste water tanks anyway so dump now. Blowing out the excess water out of the lines is a no cost item so I would do that. Dumping the hot water tank only takes a couple of minutes, so that is good to do. Same with the drains for the low parts of the piping. Simply open the drain cocks. The question remains as to whether you want to put antifreeze into the residual in the bottom of the fresh water tank. My wife always complains about the taste even after you flush it a couple of times. To fully winterize you normally have to disconnect the inlet to the pump and use it to fill the lines with antifreeze. It is gamble that could cost you.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Thanks, suggestions well taken.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSalinger View Post
is it okay to use the propane heater while driving and will that keep the plumbing from freezing.
.................................................. ...
Bud
We run the furnace (set to around 50-55 F) when traveling in freezing temps. Outside of that we take no extra precautions. Have not had a problem yet. Perhaps it would help to leave cabinet doors open where plumbing runs, but we don't do that.

Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I winterize by simply blowing the lines and draining the tanks. I do put anti-freeze in the traps and in the WC bowl. I do not pump anti-freeze throught the system. I have never had a problem with our NJ winters. As far as traveling with the heat on I have never tried that and not sure if I would recommend doing it. I think you would be OK unless you leave late in the month . Last March we left home around 4 March and had a very cold night in Roanoke, Va and like a dummy I had charged our water system before leaving home thinking it would be mild enough by the time we hit southern Va. OOOps. That night hit 27deg. and although all was OK in the end our water faucets did freeze up. Later in the day things warmed up and there was no damage, so lucky US. If we go again next year I'll be more watchful of the weather but I won't charge the system until well into the south. If the days are sunny these trailers are like a heat sink and warm nicely but overnight, watch out.

Have a great trip. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
I winterize by simply blowing the lines and draining the tanks. I do put anti-freeze in the traps and in the WC bowl. I do not pump anti-freeze throught the system. I have never had a problem with our NJ winters. As far as traveling with the heat on I have never tried that and not sure if I would recommend doing it. I think you would be OK unless you leave late in the month . Last March we left home around 4 March and had a very cold night in Roanoke, Va and like a dummy I had charged our water system before leaving home thinking it would be mild enough by the time we hit southern Va. OOOps. That night hit 27deg. and although all was OK in the end our water faucets did freeze up. Later in the day things warmed up and there was no damage, so lucky US. If we go again next year I'll be more watchful of the weather but I won't charge the system until well into the south. If the days are sunny these trailers are like a heat sink and warm nicely but overnight, watch out.

Have a great trip. See ya on the road sometime.
I have camped with temperatures way lower than that. Were you in the trailer with the furnace on? If so were you hooked up to campground water? If that is the case I'm guessing that you didn't unhook and drain the water hose and that is where it froze.

Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Columbia , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSalinger View Post
We plan to travel the S-95 corridor with a short stay in Myrtle Beach, SC, so any suggestions on where to overnight would be appreciated.
Bud
We are staying most of the winter at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park. There are a number of air-streamers here for the winter. This is a nice park right on the ocean. Very friendly, close to lots of shopping and walmart. The bathrooms are kept very clean and are very spacious if that matters to you.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
We are staying most of the winter at the Myrtle Beach Travel Park. There are a number of air-streamers here for the winter. This is a nice park right on the ocean. Very friendly, close to lots of shopping and walmart. The bathrooms are kept very clean and are very spacious if that matters to you.
Thanks for the tip. If the weather stays nice, we'll stay in that area for a while, till it gets cold, then push further south.

Do you generally drive streight through or stop over somewhere?
Old 11-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Ken. We were not hooked up. Prior to leaving home I had put water in the tank ( that's not usually a problem with a light freeze). The problem came when I pumped water through the system. The only thing that froze was the faucet head. I didn't want to risk breaking anything and it thawed later as we drove south. Nothing froze enough to do any damage luckily. Won't do that again though until well south. We were on battery so were using the furnace very, very sparingly. If we were plugged in I carry a small electric heater and would have been OK with that. But, as it were, we were roughing it for the night.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi Ken. We were not hooked up. Prior to leaving home I had put water in the tank ( that's not usually a problem with a light freeze). The problem came when I pumped water through the system. The only thing that froze was the faucet head. I didn't want to risk breaking anything and it thawed later as we drove south. Nothing froze enough to do any damage luckily. Won't do that again though until well south. We were on battery so were using the furnace very, very sparingly. If we were plugged in I carry a small electric heater and would have been OK with that. But, as it were, we were roughing it for the night.
Thanks for explaing the situation. I hope you had a lot of blankets.

Ken
Old 11-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I always drain fresh water tank, hot water tank, & blow out lines for winter. we carry bottled water for drinking & food.

Myrtle beach has Ocean side campground just south of town on old rt 17 that is a large and good facility.
We always overnight where we can have electric for furnace blower and pelonis elec heaters.

Only exception would be a short 6-7 hour stop in south Georgia Walmart and use the cat heater.

I am in Tennessee and we are just starting to get freezing at night. I doubt that Myrtle and south are getting freezing yet?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Yes Ken. We did have blankets. We were fine and pretty comfortable ourselves. I did use the furnace for a little in the evening prior to going to sleep. That made it pretty nice and a few blankets took care of us. But it the morning it was cold. I had plenty of propane so I used the catalytic heater by the front door. That made it OK, again for us. On the way home, at the end of March, we found ourselves in the same predicament, again in Va. This time we wimped out and stayed in a hotel. We had a very nice 3 weeks in Florida but up here it had been and still was a unusually cold spring. But I guess you're used to that in Colorado.

Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Sounds like a fun trip! You are passing right through my back yard (St Simons Island, GA)!
There is a nice new place "golden Isles RV Resort" in south ga right off exit 29. If you have more time, Jekyll island campground is about 10 minutes from the interstate (same exit).
We are supposed to be up near 80 degrees again next week. Not sure about all of this "winterizing" and "snow" that everyone keeps talking about! The only thing freezing here is the ice in my sweet tea! Lol!
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Bristol , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lewis77 View Post
Sounds like a fun trip! You are passing right through my back yard (St Simons Island, GA)!
There is a nice new place "golden Isles RV Resort" in south ga right off exit 29. If you have more time, Jekyll island campground is about 10 minutes from the interstate (same exit).
We are supposed to be up near 80 degrees again next week. Not sure about all of this "winterizing" and "snow" that everyone keeps talking about! The only thing freezing here is the ice in my sweet tea! Lol!
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, I won't bring the cold weather with me.