Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Southern Pines , North Carolina
NC to Alaska

Well folks we're back after 11,034 miles and 54 days (not enough time) towing an '07 Bambi from Southern Pines NC to Palmer Alaska, over the Tok cut and back across Canada and home. . Needless to say after driving up the Alaska highway and then back down the Alaska highway I'm a wiser and somewhat older camper, the frost heaves north of Whitehorse will do that to you. The little Bambi did great along with the TV, an fj Crusier. We suffered one flat tire on the Crusier and a couple chips on the windscreen and several little dents on the Bambi from gravel. This was our first extended camping trip and I'm sold! We camped in about 40 different campgrounds and met a ton of great people and can't wait to hook up and go again. By the way this adventure was a great way to lose weight. I lost 12 pounds and am in the best shape since the Marine Corps. Semper Fi..... Cooter
cooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter
Well folks we're back after 11,034 miles and 54 days (not enough time) towing an '07 Bambi from Southern Pines NC to Palmer Alaska, over the Tok cut and back across Canada and home. . Needless to say after driving up the Alaska highway and then back down the Alaska highway I'm a wiser and somewhat older camper, the frost heaves north of Whitehorse will do that to you. The little Bambi did great along with the TV, an fj Crusier. We suffered one flat tire on the Crusier and a couple chips on the windscreen and several little dents on the Bambi from gravel. This was our first extended camping trip and I'm sold! We camped in about 40 different campgrounds and met a ton of great people and can't wait to hook up and go again. By the way this adventure was a great way to lose weight. I lost 12 pounds and am in the best shape since the Marine Corps. Semper Fi..... Cooter
Please post pictures...........
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24
Hudson , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to 2Alaska
Yes, please post pictures! You're living my dream. Someday soon I hope to make such a trip. My entire reason for purchasing and fixing up my Argosy is to take a road trip like you describe. I want to drive accross the country and up through Alaska taking my time along the way. Hopefully more sooner than later! Glad to hear your trip was a safe one. Welcome home.
2Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Now that is an adventure. Please, lots of us would like more detail and pictures. We may not be able to do this but we can dream.........

BTW - my sister lives in Vass, we stayed in a campground in Southern Pines in June for my nieces HS graduation. Nice area of NC.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:23 AM   #5
1983 Sovereign 31'

1984 31' Sovereign
Mount Olive , North Carolina
Cooter,
Semper Fi (67-68) - Any pictures? Your trip is on my list of things to do. Having done 13200 miles this summer to CA and back stopping in Mount Olive to check on the house then north to Bar Harbor and Adirondacks and home to work. We have a niece who lives in Pinehurst.
Do you belong to a local WBCCI Unit? We belong to ENCU if you are looking for one to join.
Fill us in on the highlights of you trip. Best parts/worst parts.

Hope to see you down the road.

Mac
WBCCI # 3292 AIR#16287
Buckeye (Chesapeake Bay Retreiver)
1983 31' Sovereign (Carmen O)
2006 2500HD Duramax SLT CC 4x4 (Brutus B)
Mount Olive, NC 28365
"Pickle Capital of the World"
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Congratulations on completing your great adventure. We are hoping to do a similar trip in the next couple of years. Please post some pictures and some tips for us wannabees.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Folks, Our local paper, The Pilot, will have a story of the Alaska trip this Sunday.(Sept. 16) Their web site is; thepilot.com. As soon as I figure it out I'll post pictures. I'm still cleaning up the Bambi after the trip. There are a few little dings that will always remind me of our little adventure... just adds character, of course. Coot
Old 09-11-2007, 07:41 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Cooter -

Congrats on a great trip - our dream is to only do half of that - tow our AS to Alaska and stay there!
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Jimmy Buffett says that the wrinkles only go where the smiles have been so I guess the dings only go where the adventures have been. Can't wait to hear more!

Looks like a great trip Mac1. Thanks for sharing.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
FJ Cruiser 4x4 & 19' Bambi???

hi there...i'm new to the forums and have the Airstream bug.
i also own an FJ 4x4 and am weighing between the 16' & 19' Bambi's.
i've been doing my research on these forums and have learned a lot about weight, wheel base, safety, etc...but there still remains a grey area (maybe becuz i really prefer the 19' CCD over the 16'!)...

cooter, it's almost been a year since your Alaska trip...any other trips with the FJ/AS combo? would you recommend the 19' Bambi w/ the FJ? were you "fully loaded" on the trip?
thanks for any input....from anyone.
cheers!
~A~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooter View Post
AnniRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniRox View Post
hi there...i'm new to the forums and have the Airstream bug.
i also own an FJ 4x4 and am weighing between the 16' & 19' Bambi's.
i've been doing my research on these forums and have learned a lot about weight, wheel base, safety, etc...but there still remains a grey area (maybe becuz i really prefer the 19' CCD over the 16'!)...

cooter, it's almost been a year since your Alaska trip...any other trips with the FJ/AS combo? would you recommend the 19' Bambi w/ the FJ? were you "fully loaded" on the trip?
thanks for any input....from anyone.
cheers!
~A~
The fj did a great job on our Alaska trip. Being a flatlander we had concerns about the mountains but went right over them. We did not take water for boondocking as most of the camping areas had water. I looked at the 16 ft long and hard but decided on the 19 Bambi for its additional space. All in all the fj is a remarkable vehicle. Paired with the Bambi we've had some great trips and are planning on another western move out to the Grand Canyon and up to Washington and back home, leaving in Sept. By the way we adveraged 12 miles to a gallon gas. The fj has 35,000 miles on it now and the Bambi has about 20,000. Our repairs thus far on both units, one flat tire. (knock on wood) Good luck and I hope to see you on the road. Semper Fi.... Coot
Old 06-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
cool! great news.
when you say you didn't take water- does that mean you traveled with empty tanks...or did you keep them 1/2 full, or?

as far as the FJ goes, how did you mostly use the gears?
is your FJ all stock (tires, etc)? what did you have to add to the FJ to pull the AS (brake assist, etc.)?
and another thing i'm curious about....is it possible to open the back door to the FJ while the trailer is hooked up?

sorry for so many questions...but i really want to educate myself as much as possible...and it's great to hear from people who have done it.

thanks!
~A~
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Annierox, we traveled with empty tanks using the water offered by the campgrounds, primarily to help gas milage but also to help with the weight on the airstream. The fj is all stock with a five speed auto and we ran most of the way with the trans in overdrive. Sometime, buffeting a headwind or heading up the mountain we would downshift into 4th gear. I found that the fj would let me know just by the sound when to down shift. We have a reese load equalization hitch with a sway bar installed by the Airstream dealer along with electric brakes. The brakes took a little while to get used to but no real problem and you can open the rear door wide enough to get in the fj rear which on the Alaska trip we had loaded. We had a grand time and I wouldn't
trade the rig for anything. I wish you loads of luck and know you'll have a great time on the road. Keep me posted.... Semper Fi... coot
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
thanks again coot, for the info.

i'm kind of a freak about having water on hand...so i'm wondering what the difference would have been with the tanks filled. not sure how heavy the rest of your load was... in the FJ, etc.

i read one post somewhere where somebody suggested to get on a truck scale and find out what the true weight is.

i just KNOW that i want the 19'. the 16' is nice but not for me. so i don't want to buy something that i can't use in a "luxurious" sort of way (tanks filled, etc. ...unless traveling with empty tanks is something AS people do). i don't know enuf yet to know that answer!

btw, i did read the article (you wrote??) in The Pilot. i found it online. i was hoping there'd be a photo or two.

do you have any shots of your rig you can post??

cheers,
~A~
Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
san diego , California
also--- does your FJ have the TRD exhaust????
Old 06-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Annirox, you really don't need the water unless you will be boondocking(at a camp that has no hook ups) because when you hook up to the camp's water you still have all the convenience as if you hauled the water with you. If I realized that there was a chance that I would be boondocking for a day or two I would carry water from my last campsite. I'm glad you found the story on the Alaska trip ( I am an outdoor writer, working for The Pilot and free lanceing for outdoor mags. ) I'll try and post a few photos, the rig does look great and turns a few eyes. I even had one couple follow me to a stop on the interstate to ask if the fj was custom made to tow the airstream.(The fj is silver with a white top just like the airstream and they go together like peanut buter and jelly) Anyhow, I just have the stock exhaust. .... coot
Old 06-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As for carrying water, one of the joys of the Alaska trip is the opportunity to stop in places you didn't plan on staying. You will learn of or see places as you travel. A case in point for us was the provincial campgrounds along the Cassiar Highway - never heard of it when we left home, but now remains as a highpoint in our memories.

So carry some - even 10gals or so will increase your flexibility.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote