Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Navigation Systems, what's your experience?

Navigation
I'm considering a portable nav system for my TV. I currently use my lap-top based Microsoft street and trips.

I travel around 15-20K a year with my Airstream and was wondering what the Airstream Forum members are using.

I've heard about the Tom Tom-700 and Garmin 330.

Lost in America
Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #2
_

. , .
go garmin.....

hi artlink, you ramblin man......

first i'll disclose some connections to garmin.....
so my view is biased
toward the best products!

models are a moving target....but

they have got a great assortment....

big screen.......... steet pilot 7200/7500

mobile phone.......mobile 20

newest features and bluetooth....510/550

wanna use it jogging or biking.....forerunner 205/305

i think they are even trying to do something for the mac slackers.....

i'm currently testing the next forerunner........it will be sweet

but any of the street pilot series are fine nav units.....
and keep in mind you'd like to use/upgrade for a while with the same hardward right?

without naming names (not microsoft) there is another system out now with many features and look/feel of garmin...but don't expect long term support because they are being sued.....since it's a little tooooo close to patiented garmin technology.

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Garmin IQue 3600

I have the Garmin IQue 3600 which is a palm based PDA that sits on the dash with a nonslip cradle that plugs into the 12V outlet (cig lighter). It's great and has saved me many times finding retail locations such as CG's, restaurants, gas stations, art supply stores, quilt stores, etc. It's best used in locations you're not familiar. It also serves as a date planner/phone/address/memo/calc if you're into that (which I am).
The screen is easy to read and turn prompts are voice activated well in advance, so you can get into the correct lane ahead of time. I gave Doug&Jamie on these forums a rec for this and I think they are also happy with theirs. Garmin has come out the M5 which I know nothing about that is supposed to replace the IQue 3600.
Check it out at garmin.com

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Santa brought me a TomTom 300 this past year. I love it. Just plug in where you are going and done, instant trip map. If you go off of the plotted trip it remaps from where you are. Before I got this, I used Streets and Trips with my laptop and a handheld GPS also. Nice program, but too many wires and mess. This is all one unit with a nice suction to the windshield mount. I set mine up to also display the current speed (very acurate) and compass. Also has an easy to change brightness adjustment for night time. I have been very happy with mine!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Santa gave me the TomTom 700 this past year

It's very good. Plug and play. Provides next exit and cross streets. Many other features I have not even tried out yet including an interface with your bluetooth enabled cell phone.

I like the different voices. I use "Ken", his is my boyfriend.

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #6
_

. , .
ok you guys......

santa may have given you a knock off.........

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060209/1226899.html?.v=1

i guess those pre holiday shopping ads paid off.....

thanks for the set up.....

cheers
2air'
Old 03-08-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
For Boondockers

Once you have a GPS that puts out a serial NEMA sentence, you can use a laptop for some really sophisticated navigation. I use Oziexplorer, a great shareware program from Austrialia, that is both user friendly and a technological marvel. Go to their website and check it out.

It's laptop based and can do moving map displays. It interfaces with most GPS units to upload waypoints and download tracks. I can't live without it. I'm going to do a demo at the Denver Unit maintenance rally in May. It really excels at displaying USGS Topographic DRGs.

And if you use Ozi on a laptop you can also do Streetfinder kinds of programs for those who insist on exploring the asphalt jungles around us...

Ozi has an excellent user forum on Yahoo. Topic range from using CE devices, intefaces, to hard core geodetic and geospatial theory. You will learn datums and projections and host of things that inquisitive minds want to know....

Roger
Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We use GARMIN (old EMap unit) and move it from vehicle to vehicle. On our TV we've mounted a small, semi-permanent base to the dash and on another vehicle we use a suction cup mount on the windshield. We've used GARMIN GPS systems for years and while they were not particularly 'User friendly' at first, the system is now a 'no brainer'. Every year and a half or so, GARMIN makes new software available for downloading from your PC into the GPS. We find the unit very helpful when on the Interstate Highway system as we can locate favorite upcoming facilities such as fuel, food and other services along our route and then flag how far and the exit #. We love other features such as sunrise/sunset times, average speeds, elevations above MSL, backlighting at nighttime. For the serious outdoorsman the unit can put you right on your favorite fishing spot or locate your favorite hunting spot deep in the woods or high on a mountain top. Prior to a trip, we download detailed map software along our route from our PC and do it quickly with GARMIN's USB Data CArd Programmer. We can load detailed maps along routes from Texas to the east coast for example, showing very small details and every minor road, along with banks, restaurants etc. We store favorite spots, restaurants, campgrounds etc. as WAYPONTS so we can locate them again with no difficulty. We never travel without our GARMIN. Good luck with your decision.
BTW, GARMIN offers great customer service, warranty and support services.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
Itowair

2004 28' International CCD
Clinton Twp , Michigan
I am currently using MicroSoft streets and trips on a laptop with the GPS sensor mounted to the windshield. I find it works well however the laptop and the cables can be a real pain to deal with.

My dream system is the Pioneer AVIC-N2. It is not portable but boy is it cool.
I have had a chance to play with it at a local RV dealer and it seems to have it all. What I really like is the fact that the screen retracts into the unit, so when not in use it looks like a normal dash mount CD/Radio. I am not comfortable leaving a screen sitting on the Dashboard of my car or truck I feel it may be a bit to tempting and may walk away if you know what I mean.
ITOWAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
My navigation system is an atlas, I like the ones that are spiral bound. I occasionally enhance the standard data provided using a non-orignial manufacture data entry device (normally Bic) and customize the appearance with dehydrated essence from plants of columbian extraction.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
My navigation system is an atlas, I like the ones that are spiral bound. I occasionally enhance the standard data provided using a non-orignial manufacture data entry device (normally Bic) and customize the appearance with dehydrated essence from plants of columbian extraction.
I hope you are talking about the Juan Valdez stuff...

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Another alternative I am considering is this, I have a laptop with a video out. Use this video out, to an LCD mini display. I have seen these on Ebay for around $50. Keep the laptop and receiver under the seat, (you will need a unit that has an antenna connector and external antenna) running your favorite mapping program, hooked to your GPS receiver. Mount the mini LCD wherever you chose........
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Have the garman.... actually use the MS with laptop. Simpler. Bigger view,. Back that programing with an older version of Rand McNally I prefer, and we're good to go.
The garman does give us portability and take along while walking help.... but the print is small to read and use for me.
And you may be amused that I'm one that actually stilluses print media maps. I especially love to order those county maps, and study them! County road systems are amazing things. And I talk to the maintenance crews abot roads and so on.....they can point out some real gems of places if asked... they don't volunteer well, though.....
I like the fact I can get an overview at night... and glance at the overview for the next day, take a look at alternatives... and have room to take it in by using the laptop.
And before you ask, yes indeed we can, and did, do the same thing with garmin..... but I don't like thier programming, and I sure as heck did not like having to always purhase units of maps.... got pissed with the amount it was costing me to their software!
So, MS for me unfortunately..... reasonable cost and works for me. Sigh more money for Bill. HATE that.

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Garmin Streetpilot!

When I retired the folks took up a collection and I got a digital camera and a Garmin Street Pilot. I really love the Street Pilot! We always have a laptop with us and I can lay out several routes using several programs if I want. Currently using Street Atlas. Then I can upload the route for tomorrow into the Garmin in the evening and away we go.

Have been playing with Ozi and like it a lot but, the govt as of Feb. 1 quit letting us download maps for free. Now you have to buy them and they cost about $100.00 a state. That is $5000.00 for the whole country! I am still looking for a source for cheaper maps.

The Garmin has made traveling a lot more pleasant. When traveling my Wife always controlled the Atlas. She would work away on her lap top and forget to tell me when the turns came up and would usually exclaim, "Oh, that was our turn we just passed"! The Garmin took the navigation out of her forgetful hands.

I also like to use the garmin for a speedometer. It is very accurate. It also keeps a lot of data on our trips. Driving time, miles traveled, average speed, stopped time, ect.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I've worked with a lot of GPS equipment over the last 20 years, from PCs to PDAs, handhelds and cockpit units, and even the very first GPS survey instrument ever made. To make a long story short, I think the best thing for vehicle navigation would be one of the latest Garmin units designed specifically for road vehicles.

For the money, they are just superior to the competition in almost every way. I'm so impressed with the company that I bought some Garmin stock two years ago, which has appreciated quite nicely.

Having said that, we have a Magellan Roadmate in our tow vehicle, primarily because we got it for a really outrageous deal. Like 50% under a comparable Garmin. Now that I've used several other current units, I'd say one area where Garmins are definitely better is in the way they categorize searches, say for types of businesses. I use also use Streets and Trips for planning long moves, but I wouldn't want to deal with it while driving. If I had a huge motorhome with lots of space to mount a laptop with a really bright screen, I might think about it, but the interface in the dedicated nav units is just a lot more sensible to deal with when you're operating several tons of RV.

Be aware that all of the vehicle nav units are subject to the errors in the road data they contain. They pretty much all rely on data that comes from the same survey/collection company. You can't expect perfection, due to new construction and so forth, and there are also some other hysterical problems we've encountered in certain places. For example, you'll sometimes find contiguous road segments that aren't connected in the data. The device will invariably suggest you turn off the road, then turn around and get right back on. No device or software can overcome those kinds of basic data issues.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:19 PM   #16
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Street Pilot

I should add that I use the unit for much more. I fabricated a mount that sets the street pilot on the dash just to the left of my road view. I can see it very well as I drive and I have it on 12 volt power from the motor home.

I also transfer it to my car when I stop for a while and use it to navigate around cities. Works very well.

I also transfer it to my boat and use it to find spots on lakes and rivers. I came in one night on Lake Vermillion here in Minnesota with a storm brewing and it guided me through rocks and obstructions very exactly. You see it leaves a "crumb" trail wherever you go and you can even mark spots to avoid.

You can use it as battery powered or on vehicle power. Just plugs into a cigar lighter.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
CooperHawk,

Here's some info I got from the Ozi forum:
----------------------
You have already gotten the best advice for the short haul, but I read
the full policy statement on the USDA website and it seems the
Government is doing it's best to be "helpful" in the GIS age. They also
seem to be concerned with recovering bandwidth costs.
http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/USDA_SCA_geodata_policy_2005.pdf
<http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/USDA_SCA_geodata_policy_2005.pdf>

It seems all of this data is supposed to be moved to www.geodata.gov
<http://www.geodata.gov> but the site is woefully incomplete and has
that "gee-wilikers Marth Look at this!" interface that brings up
memories of Google Earth and the deconstruction of geo-referenced data
sets in favor of "eye candy."

They go out and pull data becasue they don't want to have duplicaiton in
the Government, but the new agency's website that is supposed to
integrate all of this data isn't fully operational, and incomplete.
Typical. Thank goodness I live in Texas, where www.tnris.state.tx.us
<http://www.tnris.state.tx.us> serves all my mapping data needs.
------------------------------------------------
I also use the GIS Data Depot, which really is very cost effective if you don't want to download every durn map in a state. Getting all the 250K topo maps for the entire country would probably be around 3 gigs, and maybe 3 times that much to get all the 100K topo maps. OK, went and looked at the zip file sizes and it looks like the average 250K or 100K topo is a little under 5MB. So for the $109/gig price, you could download maybe 185 maps. I know you want the east coast--you can get all of it in 67 1:250,000 maps, covering everything east of a line running north from New Orleans to quite a ways west of Chicago.

By the way, you can get the FAA sectionals for free from

http://aviationtoolbox.org/raw_data/FAA/sectionals/

but they are kind of weird to drive with because the roads don't show up as nicely as they do on the topo or highway maps.

For others who haven't seen our other posts, I'll just say here I've got all the highway, 100K and 250K topo maps for the western 11 states on 2 DVDs (8.5 gigs) for a nominal pain in the butt fee of $15, which includes priority USPS mail. I've also got the Quads (7.5 minute topo maps) for Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Idaho and California--Nevada doesn't quite fit on one DVD and California is bigger (not quite through calibrating all the California Quads). Some of the Quads aren't complete, like who wants the topo maps for the flat parts of eastern Colorado and Montana, or the Indian Nations where you can't go off pavement without special permission?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
I bought the Garmin iQue 3600 as a gift for Doug last year on jordandvm's advice. We love it!!! It's everything it was recommended to be and we can move it between the truck and car, wherever it's needed. Doug also takes it on business trips to use in his rental car in cities he's not familiar with. Last week I took it to Rhode Island when I started taking classes in an area I don't know very well. I accidentally got off the highway in Providence on the way home (my fault, I didn't bear left where I should have) and Ms. Daisy recognized this and got me back en route in a matter of minutes. We've never been steered wrong by it. We also like and use the PDA capabilities of the iQue .

-Jamie

p.s. Thanks again, jordandvm!!
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Portable nav system (specialized)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlink
I'm considering a portable nav system for my TV. I currently use my lap-top based Microsoft street and trips.
I travel around 15-20K a year with my Airstream and was wondering what the Airstream Forum members are using.
I've heard about the Tom Tom-700 and Garmin 330.
Lost in America
Michael
There are many choices that would be satisfactory for a single traveling unit as have been mentioned by other posters.
However, there is one esoteric device that has some unique advantages for a carvan/rally leader that wants to keep tabs on other units.
It is the Geosat4TRAVEL from AvMap, an Italian outfit. See their site;
http://www.avmap.it/index.php?sec=1&sub=349&lang=en
It is just recently being imported into the USA. The USA model will come with a 2GB memory card that will contain maps of the entire contiguous US along with a DVD with maps for Alaska and Canada.

In addition to all the normal GPS functions, it also alerts you to to traffic problems ahead via "the TMC function* that keeps you informed about the traffic conditions. *Optional external hardware needed."

It also has an input for the APRS capable Kenwood TH-D7 ham radio that will put your call sign icon on the map along with any others similiarly equipped. This lets you see where everyone else is, which way they are going and how fast they are traveling. If someone is going the wrong way, you can see who it is and send them a message. It could aid not only caravan/rally leaders but also search and rescue teams and of course the America's Challenge Gas Balloon Race and the Gordon Bennett Cup.

This unit is not for everyone but ham geeks will want it.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 08:42 PM   #20
_

. , .
well folks i do like using paper maps like gen dissarry suggests.......they is reliable and have no batteries......

garmin just released 3? new models yesterday.....these are part of the streetpilot series and are blue tooth enabled.......

as i understand these new models connect or allow phone calls, hands free talking (that's an odd idea isn't it) and cell phone uplinks...or some such thing......

as others have noted garmin has great customer service and help available....which is becoming rare in the binary world.....

i like the looks of that ozi thing with the usgs type maps, 3is' mentions.....

i'm gonna surf and check it out too......

if i can just find my computer..........without a map....

cheers
2air'