Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Nature Valley Trail View

My brother shared this website with me, thought I'd pass it on just in case you haven't seen it.

Nature Valley Trail View

Its a great site to go to if you are planning to visit some of America's National Parks. This site has "Street View" technology where you can climb, hike, and view over 400 miles of 360 deg photo-views of the trails. It's pretty cool and a great resource.

Given that I just had knee surgery and probably won't be doing much walking in the near future, this is a great alternative to actually walking the trails.

Right now, you can only "visit" Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Great Smokies and Yellowstone. Hopefully, they'll add more parks in the future.

ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
Given that I just had knee surgery and probably won't be doing much walking in the near future, this is a great alternative to actually walking the trails.
I had foot surgery a few years ago, and the incisions got infected with MRSA, requiring two additional surgeries to remove infected tissue. I was on crutches for fourteen weeks, and on a cane for several more. The first time I was able to walk without a stick propping me up was an absolute blessing. To this day I walk relatively slowly and with a limp that I can feel but others seem not to notice, and can't run a step without agony, but it sure beats the alternative!

Anyway, I firmly believe there is no alternative to actually walking the trails. However, your link is a great tool for planning which trails to hike when you recover well enough. I'd probably use it to help determine which trails are within my somewhat limited capabilities and which are out of my reach.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Protagonist,
Sorry to hear you were infected with MRSA, and glad to hear you recovered! I know how bad MRSA can be, my cousin was infected with MRSA on his arm, and he barely made it. I remember he was in the hospital for weeks, it was horrible.

I totally agree with you about actually walking the trails. Exercise is so important, and I long for the days when I use to run and walk without thinking about it. All I know is that right now I can't even go shopping at Costco without my knee hurting! I never realized how big that store is!

They say trouble happens in threes, well that's what happened to me. In early December I went to the doctor about my right knee only to learn I had arthritis. About ten days later, I had a meniscus tear in my left knee. I had surgery on Dec 23rd, two days before Christmas. During my recovery I noticed my left calf was hurting, it was tight and a bit swollen. I just thought it was because of the surgery and it was part of the recovery. Long story short, I went to the emergency room on Dec 29th and learned I had developed a blood clot. I'm now on blood thinners and still dealing with the blood clot and the surgery.

So my three troubles: arthritis, meniscus tear, blood clot! Am I done? I hope so?

Anyway, just thought it would be fun to share stories. Funny how as we get older, hearing stories from other people become more meaningful, at least for me anyway.

I know eventually I'll recover fully from the blood clot and the surgery. My only fear now is the arthritis. I see more walking issues in my future.
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I had foot surgery a few years ago, and the incisions got infected with MRSA, requiring two additional surgeries to remove infected tissue. I was on crutches for fourteen weeks, and on a cane for several more. The first time I was able to walk without a stick propping me up was an absolute blessing. To this day I walk relatively slowly and with a limp that I can feel but others seem not to notice, and can't run a step without agony, but it sure beats the alternative!

Anyway, I firmly believe there is no alternative to actually walking the trails. However, your link is a great tool for planning which trails to hike when you recover well enough. I'd probably use it to help determine which trails are within my somewhat limited capabilities and which are out of my reach.

Pro,
Sorry to hear you've had so many difficulties with your foot. MRSA, is a terrible problem, as you certainly know. What precipitated the problem, the original surgery? Sorry, I'm being too intrusive, anyway...
Couple years ago I broke my ankle, but after my surgery (8 ankle/leg pins inserted), I was lucky to escape the hospital infection issues that seem all too prevalent.
Perhaps limited hiking will get you to all those kayaking spots you'll find in your soon to obtain,...retirement. How many days until then, 318? Anyway, have a good day.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Great Site.

Hello time2play. Thanks for the site. haven't explored all of it yet.
Good luck on the knee operation recovery. I had both my knees replaced, at the same time, in 2009. Every thing worked out good and there is no more pain, can do most things as before and never regreted getting the operation.
The first 2 months are the worst but after that the swelling is down and things get back to normal. Just keep on moving those knees. Good luck
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2play View Post
My brother shared this website with me, thought I'd pass it on just in case you haven't seen it.

Nature Valley Trail View

Its a great site to go to if you are planning to visit some of America's National Parks. This site has "Street View" technology where you can climb, hike, and view over 400 miles of 360 deg photo-views of the trails. It's pretty cool and a great resource.

Right now, you can only "visit" Sequoia, Grand Canyon, Great Smokies and Yellowstone. Hopefully, they'll add more parks in the future.