Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
National Parks waive fees some weekends this summer

National parks to offer fee-free weekends - CNN.com

Entry fees waved June 20 and 21, July 18 and 19, and August 15 and 16

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I took my older son on a Boy Scout weekend the first weekend in April (coincided with the first weekend of our local school system's spring break) to the Apalachicola National Forest in the Florida Panhandle and the camping fees were waived for that weekend also.

The campground was basic (water only at each campsite) but the bath house was clean and the sites were well maintained and spacious and the campground was not crowded. There was a good sized lake adjacent to the campground that was stocked.

I think the free weekends are a great program during these tough economic times and a great way to raise awareness of the National Park System.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Free National Parks?

This is a good idea for a place like Joshua Tree National Park in the Mojave Desert, but if anybody thinks that because the government has waived fees on the national parks and thinks this will be a good opportunity to visit Yosemite---GOOD LUCK!

Yosemite for instance had every campsite reserved in about 10 minutes after the opening of the 4 month advanced window for reservations. In other words, sold out.

Actually, I am glad that I don't have reservations for those weekends, because I suspect it will be very crowded even though casual visitors will not be able to camp in the park.

As for being free, it seems to me that for two days it is never expensive to camp at a national park. For somebody who isn't in to camping, it would be a lot more expensive to get equipment in order to camp than to stay in a motel for instance.

I'm usually a very positive person, but in this case...glass half empty.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
"(CNN) -- It's hardly a bailout, but the federal government is hoping that waiving fees at national parks will help boost local economies across the country"

Please note - Local TV station mentioned tonight, that it's only the 'entry' fee that being waived - not camping fee's, etc...

...IMHO, if our Govt. had just given all those billions directly to our domestic oil companys, and not to the 'broke' auto companies, with the proviso that they lower gasoline prices to $1 per gal., we'd all be driving around like kids in a candy store, spreading 'bucks' all over the country...

With cheap fuel, we'd need more cars, hence the Big Three would be busy again, etc., etc., etc..all down the line! RV's & boats would be flying off the lots - talk about boosting local economies...
Old 06-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Sorry you're not old enough.

Hi, this year I got my "Senior Pass" for $10.00 and the rest was free. I checked and you are just too young. Sorry.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by OB Bambi View Post

As for being free, it seems to me that for two days it is never expensive to camp at a national park. For somebody who isn't in to camping, it would be a lot more expensive to get equipment in order to camp than to stay in a motel for instance.

You can camp quite simply, with only a tent and perhaps borrowing that. We did it when the kids were young, used blankets instead of sleeping bags, cooked on a fire with a cast iron skillet, etc. Even a nominal site fee can be the difference between camping or not, if your $ are tight enough---been there, done that. Sounds like the waived fees were a good idea, and may make the difference for an outing for some families. Every little bit helps.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
When we camped in Apalachicola National Forest, the camping was free. We went expecting to pay for the campsites and were delighted when told the camping fees were waived that weekend.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote