Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Natchez Trace

I'll be exploring the Natchez Trace in my Airstream Interstate Class B during the week of Memorial Day, and I'm looking for recommendations from people who have done the Trace before:
1 - Must-see attractions;
2 - Must-eat-at restaurants;
3 - Must-stay-at campgrounds, preferably with water and 30-amp hookups, also preferably offering Good Sam or Passport America discounts.

My itinerary is 9 days and 8 nights, 26 May to 3 June. First day will be New Orleans to Vidalia/Natchez. Last day will be Vidalia/Natchez to New Orleans. The rest of the schedule is flexible, as long as I make the whole round trip, Natchez-Nashville-Natchez in the remaining 7 days and 6 nights. I only have to average about 125 miles a day to make the round trip, so there's plenty of time to do things other than driving.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
This is no help at all, but... There is a tall bridge the Parkway crosses. Great place to get out and walk around. Something to do with a dam project, methinks.

It's bad when the mind goes.

What were we talking about?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Noob

2009 22' Sport
Columbus , Texas
Ooooo: Natchez-Trace bridge, Collinwood, United States
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDad View Post
It's bad when the mind goes.
You know what they say, "When the memory goes, you can just forget it."

I've seen pictures of the bridge you mentioned; it won some kind of design award, if memory serves. Don't know if it qualifies as a "must-see" but it's certainly a "can't miss."

Hope there's someplace to park at each end, so I can get out and take a look. It would be very bad to drive off the edge because I was trying to rubberneck and couldn't keep my eyes on the road.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Ahhh, the Trace! A perfect place to slow down and enjoy the Journey...

We enjoy Natchez a few times a year, check the city's tourist website to make sure the place won't be jammed full because of a festival. We stay across the river in V'dalia at a Riverview RV Park (?)

I think we have stopped at ALL of the pulloffs. The park HQ has a nice map that shows them by MileMarker.

Dry camping at Rocky Springs is fun. Explore the old town even if you don't stay at the campground.

Further North of Tupelo we enjoy PineyGrove Campground. It's a Corps park, take reservations and FILLS UP on some weekends. Nearby is Tishamingo(sp) State park, also very nice.

I'll let others chime in on the gaps I jump over, we tend to get in a transit mode on the rest of the Trace.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Further North of Tupelo we enjoy PineyGrove Campground. It's a Corps park, take reservations and FILLS UP on some weekends.
Now THERE is a must-do for me! I work for the Corps of Engineers— though the New Orleans District doesn't have any campgrounds— and it will be interesting to get a taxpayer's-eye view of one of our projects.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Fantastic trip but watch out for poison ivy at some of the pulloffs. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmm.

You know that French Quarter RV resort will take PA for one night, but not weekends? It is nice on occasion to be within walking distance of everything, especially if you have a sweet dog who loves to stretch her legs. NOLA is very, very dog friendly.

We stayed at the Clear Springs Recreational Area in Homochitto NF near Meadville, MS about a month ago. Beautiful place, very clean, campsites with decks overlooking the lake.

It will be warm and humid during this time of year, make sure your AC is working.

Maggie
Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thibodaux , Louisiana
I know this is late, but you should eat at the King's Tavern. It is old and awesome.
scubachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
I know this is late, but you should eat at the King's Tavern. It is old and awesome.
Not late at all! My Natchez Trace excursion isn't until late May. Where is the King's Tavern?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Another thought: Don't know the exact route you are taking, but you could drive northwest from NOLA and take the ferry across the river at St. Francisville, just for fun. (We love ferries.) St. Francisville is a beautiful, beautiful old town, worthy of a day or so to poke around in.

You could also do a bit of the Great River road if you were so inclined, and like antebellum plantations. What's not to like, I say! There are several PA campgrounds in that area, as I recall.

Have a great trip!

Maggie
Old 02-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Trace has an original trail that can be done with tow vehicle. Two ruts of the original trail, even get to ford a stream at the end. Don't remember the mile marker but if you stop by office I'm sure it is on their map. Maybe someone here can remember. We did it in our Westfalia many years ago.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Coca Cola Museum in Vicksburg;The Old Country Store Restaurant 18801 Hwy 61 in Lorman, Miss (famous for "heavenly fried chicken);Elvis Presely Museum in Tupelo, MS;Ivy Green, birthplace, childhood and museum of Helen Keller in Tuscumbia, Al;also in Tuscumbia, Al is "The Palace Ice Cream and Sandwich Shop" restored to it's 1905 era. Also, we enjoyed the Grand Old Opry in Nashville.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Keep the Ideas Flowing

OK, we are planning a 2 Unit caravan up the Natchez Trace arriving Natchez 09 March. Please keep the great ideas and sites coming. Anyone know about Mammy's Cupboard in Natchez?
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1955 22' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Gulfport , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubachris View Post
I think the King's Tavern is in Natchez AND (I think) a follow Airforums member, NatchezBear, is the owner---or at least he was a few years ago.
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Going near McComb - the Dinner Bell restaurant is an old time lazy suzie style southern food eatery. A lost tradition in the south and going away fast. Good food.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
1) DON'T SPEED! The Trace is a Federal highway. They really enforce the speed limit and the fines are steep!

2) There is a really nice RV park just off the trace in near the Reservoir near Jackson. I spent two months there during a job change. It is very close to the trace and right on the lake.

ROSS BARNETT/TIMBERLAKE CAMPGROUND
143 TIMBERLAKE DR
BRANDON, MS 39047
(601) 992-9100
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:46 PM   #18
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
We highly recommend stopping at Mile 266 French Camp. They have 'fantastic' sandwiches and soup - not a big place but a real wood fire and a few tables. They were so good we had to buy more to take with us. Usually there is enough parking for several large rigs.
WBCCI #205
AIR #42
1994 34' Limited
2004 GMC 2500 HD
Hensley Hitch
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
We have ridden the Trace bottom-top, top-bottom, and some in the middle during our Harley days. Our most recent trip (with the Airstream) was last October, when we drove from Jackson, MS to Nashville, TN.

You have gotten some good suggestions thus far, especially the note about "not" speeding. Unless you really plan to delve into the historical aspects of the Trace, I think seven days is going to be a bit much. The first time we rode our bike from Natchez to Nashville, it was really entertaining (with a stopover in Tupelo). But, after a couple of days in Nashville, we rode back South and I have to admit that it was a bit boring on the return trip. The most scenic part of the Trace is the northern portion. If I was planning your trip, I would allow 3-4 days for the Trace, 1-2 days for touring Nashville, and the remainder for the return trip to NOLA via a different route.

Make sure and stop in the Jackson Welcome Center for coffee and great Trace info. The afore mentioned suggestion to stop for lunch at French Lick is one to really consider. The first pic is of their famous BLT (best I have ever eaten) and soup.

Second pic is Trace State Park outside Tupelo.......great paved, full-hookup sites, on the water........lousy roads to the park.

Third pic is the view of the bridge in TN from the observation point off the parking lot......plenty of room for parking.

Fourth pic is one of the many bridges spanning the Trace.

If you decide to spend a few days in Nashville.......I recommend Seven Points Campground (a Corps campground on J. Percy Priest just outside of Nashville). There are a few commercial campgrounds (overpriced) near Opryland, including a KOA where we stayed once. If you want to see Nashville quickly and economically, I recommend Grey Line tours.

Hope some of this helps.

Safe travels,
Chief
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0529.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	235.6 KB
ID:	151273   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0554.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	657.8 KB
ID:	151274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0597.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	547.8 KB
ID:	151275   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0585.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	151276  

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Chief

Great photos! After looking at those and your write up, I think that I need to plan a trip down the trace.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote