Old 05-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Get back out there!

YOU CAN and WILL do it....

Some attitude adjustments....

Fear - is a terrible and crippling emotion that we create for ourselves. So break down the fear.

First your safety has been jeopardized - so several here have suggested, a professional to give you some driving tips. Like the Transport or RV schools. This could never hurt even if you too one or two crash lessons.

Two the damage to your trailer. Heck girl - why do we pay so much insurance!!! cause accidents happen. Just think if you don't run into things, back into things, scrap up against things and come in contact with things that have no business being there. Then you would have a perfect trailer waiting for a different type of accident...like a tree or hail or kids playing ball, flying lawn chairs, dogs scratching to get in or out well that list of things that can happen to a beautiful Airsteam list is endless.

A point from a vintage lover too. When you buy one of those babies they have a Novel of bumps and dents and scratches that you would just love to know what happened with each and everyone.

I know it is nothing too serious but look what I did..and right on my pretty little AS! But before that I pretty near cut my wrist off....to this day I don't know what hurts more!! So I understand how you feel when you get those nasty things happen to your airstream.

I'm not going to give you any driving advice as there is a ton here and all great. But I will give you that woman to woman boost of confidence. Don't let that fear get the better of you. Fear is a self generated emotion. You can choose to push right through that fear and reach out for your dreams and learn from each and every one of your trips out. Or you can sit and watch your dream sit in your driveway - IT IS A CHOICE! Turn your fear into knowledge and let it give you the strength you need to become an excellent kick AS RV'er!!!

Can't wait to see your next post that says - I am back out there.... So on your next time out - Keep her between the ditches and the shinny side up!!! Something I say to myself every time I put my Modpod and I into D (Drive)

See you out there.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6773.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	101941   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6785.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	101942  

Old 05-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Same thing going on here...got a birthday coming up, have NEVER pulled this AS ever...and have planned to make a short trip eighteen miles north to the quartz mtn. State park. We aleady went ahead and looked at the campsites to stay at for the weekend. But this will be the first trip we will be making. I read somewhere to pull it in one of the 'd' (drive selections) one is normal and the other is high? But I will ask again. AND we are looking to re-pack the bearings with assistance on skype from a fellow friend in Kentucky using our web cams. I will be looking at the arrangment of how level the truck and the trailer sit together. And will check all the lights and blinkers. It will be scary at first but I bet we can do it.

Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
danville , California
I know it will be hard but you just need time behind the wheel. I learned how to pull a trailer in old mans f350 4 door long bed with a 27 ft trailer so a total OA length of about 50 feet give a take. We stopped to fuel up he asked me if I wanted to drive, I had my learners permit mind you and I said sure. He laid down in the back seat my older brother who also had never pulled the trailer was upfront with me. We drove about 350 miles down I5 in central CA. yes I was scared but I did it, nothing bad happend. Just take you time watch your mirrors and dont be afraid to pull over when it is safe and take a break.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I hate to be redundant but TAKE YOUR TIME. Do not be intimidated by other drivers. On right turns from a two lane to a two lane,take your time and wait till traffic clears and then use both lanes of the road you are turning right onto. NEVER HURRY!
As Sharon say's GET BACK OUT THERE! FDR said "You have nothing to fear but fear itself "
The very best of luck to you and PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
So I was a nervous new Streamer a year ago when I bought my Tradewind. As I was getting ready to depart on a trip I said a quick prayer to God for protection, safet,y the usual "God don't let me wreck this thing and kill some one prayer". I got a quick simple reply back, "Wherever you go the Trailer will follow". Not trying to be religious here but when I look in my rear view mirror and see my trailer following behind me I remember that promise. When I have fears that it's going to come loose and go speeding past I remember those words. It works for me.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #48
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Talking what a great post!

You paint a great picture with your words! If you are not a writer, you could be! Thanks for the encouragement and the laughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Fear. It's easy to give advice, but I've spent enough time with folks with anxiety and panic disorders to know how powerful fear can be. It's easy to say "just jump back on the horse," but it can be tough to do. Don't be shy about seeking help, not only with driving, but with confidence and dealing with anxiety.

Everyone has different coping strategies. For me, I channel my inner red neck. My father is one of the most bull-headed men on the planet. To call him "mule headed" would do a terrible injustice to the breed. What I admire about my father, his utter belligerence in face of certain disaster. His attitude is... if I bought and paid for the damn thing, I'm by God entitled to push it over a cliff if I feel the urge.

This is the guy who... wait, let me set the scene. We're up in logging camp, living out of camper trailers. My father has a packrat living with him, somehow in the walls of the tinny "same old box." Every night... scratch, scratch, scratch. Rustle, rustle, rustle. After a few nights of having his "beauty sleep" interrupted, the old man loads up the shotgun. He waits in the dark, the dark heart of hunter until he hears, "scratch, scratch, scratch."

BOOM! He blows a hole right in the side of the trailer. With the smell of gunpowder, he rolls over. Just before he falls asleep.

"Rustle, rustle, rustle."

Out of sheer stubborness, he refused to fix the trailer. Ventilation, he called it. He never did get the packrat... though I am proud that we talked him out of his backup plan... lowering the trailer into the reservoir until the animal ran out of air.

You aren't doing brain surgery. You're pulling a trailer. It's going to get dinged. Accept it. Embrace it. It yours. Perfection is the franchise of the terminally parked. Adventurers, free spirits, the bellicose and belligerent, well, my friend, we bump into things.

Keep on camping. You're always welcome to the spot next to me.

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #49
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Lightbulb great idea, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So maybe you need a special "driving" hat, scarf, shirt, badge, dashboard Jesus whatever to put on before you leave the driveway. Not that it will make you invincible but like a race car driver puts on his helmet it will remind you that 25' of expensive aluminum is behind you. There are times I almost forget I'm towing and at that point I can get careless and that's where the danger is.

You could also watch Star Wars where Yoda coaches Luke on how to deal with his fear.
I have been wanting a cowboy hat to go with my badass big black truck, and thinking of adding a gun rack while I am at it

MY DS16.5 knows of two scenes of which you mention, has offered to cue/que them up for me!

Thanks!

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 05-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #50
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Thumbs up me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
So I was a nervous new Streamer a year ago when I bought my Tradewind. As I was getting ready to depart on a trip I said a quick prayer to God for protection, safet,y the usual "God don't let me wreck this thing and kill some one prayer". I got a quick simple reply back, "Wherever you go the Trailer will follow". Not trying to be religious here but when I look in my rear view mirror and see my trailer following behind me I remember that promise. When I have fears that it's going to come loose and go speeding past I remember those words. It works for me.
Yup! I offer up a similar prayer (must have forgotten that day!).

Funny, because my TV is more than enough for my 25FB, I can forget I am towing (yes, the engine sounds a bit different, but no lack of power up hills, etc.). Every now and then I will have forgotten, glance into the rear view mirror, and be SHOCKED that someone would follow me that close! Then I remember it is my baby back there

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #51
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Rivet Great news! Goin' camping!!!

Thanks to all the encouragement, you got me psyched to go!

Have conflict today and tomorrow, so cannot go up and join NEU at ChillyMan (great time and people if you ever get the chance!).

So, have sked a few days on the shore at our favorite place. Leaving on Sunday so DH can follow me in his car, in case I need to swap. Planning the route carefully, seeing myself doing it calmly, I am going for it!

Thank you all SOOOO much!

Will let you know how it went near the end of next week

Thanks again!

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #52
Aluminitus Carrier

1968 26' Overlander
south lake tahoe , California
Send a message via Skype™ to lovingtahoe
Hey Roamin' Cat! DO NOT give up! I still get scared and I still second guess myself... then I start remembering that I am supposed to be having fun and as pretty as Airstreams are, they are meant for having fun and being out camping... and towing. Girl to Girl ----- see if someone close enough to you on the forums will come out and spend some time with you towing to boost your confidence. You have to dust off and get back up cuz the only airstream that should be collecting dust is the one on the MOMA!

maybe this will make you laugh - Blogging in Aluminum Towing

WBCCI - #4066 / Sierra Nevada Unit 157
TAC - # CA-9
South Lake Tahoe, California
lovingtahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #53
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Thumbs up great post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingtahoe View Post
maybe this will make you laugh - Blogging in Aluminum Towing
This is a GREAT post, very funny and well written! Sounds exactly like my first tow home from the dealership

Going back to read more of your blog!

Thanks for the encouragement

AIRSTREAM Life

Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Taft , Texas
Great advice! I'm only going to add what I haven't seen here.
I taught my wife to back our new 23FB by simply backing down the ranch road...for a mile. She's done it three or four times now and the last time went over a half mile without once pulling up. Now she naturally knows which way to turn when backing and gets it in our narrow driveway in two or three tries, as good as many men. Forget all that hand placement. It's like typing, who knows what letters their fingers are on. I don't.
My second important advice is don't try to bull your way through. Get out and look. Don't be afraid to stop in the road. I'd rather have someone giving me the finger than scrape something.
Backing, get out and look. I don't like helpers waving and making me nervous and have taught my wife that. Stop, get out and look.
I learned to pull semi trailers hauling steel out of Pittsburgh before interstates. Swapped mirrors a few times in those damned little PA towns along the rivers with cars parked on both sides.
2016 F-350 6.7 Diesel (Overkill and loving it)
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Oh, our GPS sent us through beautiful downtown Asheville North Carolina while towing Bertha, and some of the streets were 10 feet wide, total...
Our Armada GPS took us to the top of a mountain instead of the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. When we called the hotel they said it did that for everyone using a GPS!
It has sent us down a street that dead-ended at the edge of a freeway and told us to drive across the freeway. It sent us down a cul-de-sac and told us to drive through a house. It had me drive off a major street into a neighborhood once and then had me doing circles in the neighborhood. It was like being in an Escher print! It did wacky stuff every time we used in the Marietta, GA area.

We use a Garmin now and it seems to work a bit better than the built-in Armada unit.
Bird's Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
GPS = Gremlin Propagation System

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Colorado | Top | Florida »