Old 07-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
VAC President

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
Nasty Accident

We are on our way home from International and a visit with my brother & his family. On Hwy 151 from Madison to Dubuque we came across a very nasty accident involving one of our own. We could see a newer model larger size trailer, WBCCI # 19011 laying on its side with the roof facing traffic. It looked really bad!
Not sure of the occupants condition.
If the numbers are correct the trailer belongs to Bob & Patricia Laycock of unit 31, Tampa Bay, FL. They have attended numerous National caravans.
Lets hope that they are alright and that the only damage they suffered was a totaled trailer.
Lets keep them in our thoughts and prayers....

Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It was mentioned at the IBT meeting. They said that the occupants were shaken up, but doing fine.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It was mentioned at the IBT meeting. They said that the occupants were shaken up, but doing fine.
That is, indeed, good news.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
See I heard it was a vintage trailer!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Aurora , Colorado
We past the wrecked trailer too. I thought it looked like a vintage trailer, or what was left of it. It obviously rolled several times down a long embankment. I can hardly believe that no one was seriously injured or killed.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 AM   #6

1986 31' Sovereign
Aurora , Missouri
Smile Upsate on the Wreck on Highway 151 (Wisconsin)

The wreck on the morning of July 5 at this location involved members from our unit, Missouri Greater Ozark Unit. I don't know where you came up with membership # 19011. Their WBCCI # is 3786. After the sheriff contacted members at the rally site (IBT) the Region 8 president's husband called us (among others) and we went to their rescue. We had gone only 18 miles from the rally site at the time. The driver sustained a broken collar bone and he and his wife both sustained bruises but no head injuries, etc. The driver was able to call 911 on his cell phone and a farmer living nearby, who had witnessed the wreck came to the scene and kicked in the windshield to determine the occupants were alive. After being taken to the hospital, they went to a motel where we made contact, parking our Airstream in the motel parking lot for two nights. We spent Sunday retrieving items from the tow vehicle but could not see the AS until Monday as it was taken to a salvage yard which was closed on Sunday. Monday was spent retrieving their belongings, etc. from the collapsed AS and loading them into a rented UHaul truck. My husband then drove the truck home with the owner (w/broken collar bone) as a passenger. I towed our 31 foot AS home with the wife as my passenger. We arrived home (southwest Missouri) on July 8. I might add that, when we arrived at the motel to check on the wreck victims, six other Airstreams pulled into the parking lot as well! How great it is to know other Airstreamers care! I might add also, this is the reason all women who are capable should learn to tow their trailer (or drive their motorhome) as emergencies do occur sometimes.

Joan Viney
WBCCI # 13854
Old 08-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #7

1986 31' Sovereign
Aurora , Missouri
Sorry about the spelling error in the title of the previous message. It should say "Update on the Wreck on Hwy 151 (Wisconsin)."
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #8

1986 31' Sovereign
Aurora , Missouri
I forgot to mention that the wrecked AS was a 1977 model, so would be considered a Vintage trailer.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I'm glad everyone is in good shape and home safe and sound. Trailers and tow vehicles are easy to replace, but lives are not.

It would be good if we could know what caused the accident, as it might save someone else from the same.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Same question as SteveH. woppa 4
Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Somewhere , in the USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Viney View Post
The wreck on the morning of July 5 at this location involved members from our unit, Missouri Greater Ozark Unit. I don't know where you came up with membership # 19011. Their WBCCI # is 3786. After the sheriff contacted members at the rally site (IBT) the Region 8 president's husband called us (among others) and we went to their rescue. We had gone only 18 miles from the rally site at the time. The driver sustained a broken collar bone and he and his wife both sustained bruises but no head injuries, etc. The driver was able to call 911 on his cell phone and a farmer living nearby, who had witnessed the wreck came to the scene and kicked in the windshield to determine the occupants were alive. After being taken to the hospital, they went to a motel where we made contact, parking our Airstream in the motel parking lot for two nights. We spent Sunday retrieving items from the tow vehicle but could not see the AS until Monday as it was taken to a salvage yard which was closed on Sunday. Monday was spent retrieving their belongings, etc. from the collapsed AS and loading them into a rented UHaul truck. My husband then drove the truck home with the owner (w/broken collar bone) as a passenger. I towed our 31 foot AS home with the wife as my passenger. We arrived home (southwest Missouri) on July 8. I might add that, when we arrived at the motel to check on the wreck victims, six other Airstreams pulled into the parking lot as well! How great it is to know other Airstreamers care! I might add also, this is the reason all women who are capable should learn to tow their trailer (or drive their motorhome) as emergencies do occur sometimes.

Joan Viney
WBCCI # 13854
Joan,
There were two wrecks on July 5th after International. #19011 was the 2nd to occur and was considerably father from Madison than the 1st one if it was only 18 miles away. #19011 was supposed to be on the Wandering Western Wisconsin caravan with us and several caravanners saw it overturned on the way to the caravan rendezvous point. We apparently we just in fornt of them and did not see it. I do not believe they were in a vintage trailer. We did later heard that they too were OK, although the trailer and truck were totaled and family members were heading in to help gather and transport belongings.

I had heard that there was a vintage Airstream that "wrecked" earlier in the day, but never got a WBCCI number nor any more information on that incident. Thank you for providing the update.
WBCCI/VAC #6768

(Looking for a vintage 1960's fiberglass front window guard)
66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Just the thought of each of these gives ya the willys,,,, any input on the causes ???
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #13

1986 31' Sovereign
Aurora , Missouri
Accident Causes

Sorry to hear of a second accident on July 5 involving Airstreamers, but glad to know they were not seriously injured. The accident on Hwy 151 involving the vintage AS occurred 45 miles from Madison at about 8 a.m. We were traveling a different route about 9 a.m. and had only gone 18 miles when we received the message informing us of the accident. As for the causes, the driver stated he was probably driving too fast and, in hindsight, stated his tow vehicle (shortbed pickup) was probably not large enough for towing a 31 ft trailer. Also, he had just emerged from a cut, so wind may have played a part. When the trailer started to sway, he tried the trailer brakes which did not correct the problem. He then tried accelerating in an attempt to get out of the sway. Of course, when that did not work, he knew he was losing control and told his spouse to "hang on"---rolling both the tow vehicle and the trailer. As a result of the swaying, the trailer actually passed the tow vehicle landing farther south than his truck. Luckily, it broke free and did not crush the truck.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Thank goodness no serious injuries. How odd that there would be to A/S accidents on the same day and so close together. We travel for many, many miles and never see another A/S.