Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Nashville camp Recommendations

So....wife and I have 4/17-4/20 - a 4 day weekend just the two of us without the kids. We live in Birmingham, AL and want to keep the drive to less than 6 hours.

I wanted to at first go to the gulf and camp, but wifey does not as we will hit tybee island in June and she wants something else.

So...I have never been to Nashville really (technically did as a small child, but have little memory of details), and thought I would find a nice camping spot at a COE park nearby....there are a number of them.

I am hoping some of you all know a really nice spot, perhaps with nice view and biking trails....

We want to do just a couple things in Nashville (or wherever we end up going), but otherwise just relax, hike, bike....

I have not ruled out the smokey mountains somewhere, but I think this late, a reservation in a nice spot seems difficult/impossible.

If you all have any recommendations, that would be great. It need not be a COE park. It need not even be Nashville necessarily...

I wanted elkmont in GSM's, but its booked solid it appears.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
We have been to Nashville several times over the years, as recent as last September and we love it! We prefer to stay at the KOA, walking distance to a great place to eat supper, called "The Cock of the Walk" and Camping World. The thing we like about the KOA is that they offer tours to everything in Nashville. Grand ole Opry, General Jackson, The Hermitage and Belle Mead plantations. Downtown and the Ryeman, just to mention a few things to see. You can also visit "American Pickers" store. We can go and spend a week without any problem of ever getting bored. We prefer the Deluxe sites with the patio, furniture and fire pit.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Thanks for that tip.
Is the campground pretty much urban ?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 02-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I came thru there last year I also stayed at the KOA. I had a package deal that included two Grand old Opry shows and back stage after show party. It also included transportation passes. I plan on heading back up that way possibly after Springstream. Usually not a big fan of KOAs but this stay was worth it.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Here's several

We live in the Nashville area and use the COE parks frequently. Our favorites are Cedar Creek COE in Mt Juliet, 20 minutes to downtown and Cages Bend COE in Gallatin, 30 minutes to downtown. Both are small but beautifull sites laid out on or near the water. Because they are small, they don't offer hiking/biking trails but are located in residential areas. Bledsoe State Park is in the next county (Sumner) in Castalian Springs and is also nice and offers trails; about 45 minutes to downtown. There are 4 campgrounds along Music Valley Dr, (near Opryland Hotel) where the KOA is, and I would call it urban; not that they are bad but they are different from COE's. There are other COE's south of the city but the above 3 we can vouch for.
GreggH
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cages bend I had checked - booked full it seemed - I think cedar creek had availability

I'll need to finalize with my wifey

Old 02-07-2015, 09:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We took a 180 degree turn and booked a spot at at Andrews state SP Florida lol

Old 02-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
You will enjoy St. Andrews. I recommend captain anderson to eat at and schooners is a fun old fashioned beach bar.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool - thanks!

Just have to count the days now

We will hit up Nashville later though for sure.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Pharm. when you do decide to go to Nashville check out Seven Points COE. Once you pull in the gate after negotiating a couple of subdivisions you would never know you are 20 minutes from downtown Nashville. Weaselmouth recommended it from their cross country move and I heartily second the nod

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
Agree with the previous post, you will love St. Andrews SP. Best spot for the beach in PC if you want avoid navigating around condos. Nice water views from the sites and we usually see deer when we are in the park! Good call!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Let us know how you like it. St Joe State park is pretty close to PC and we like it there. It is about as secluded as you can get. When the weather gets warmer you might want to consider Fall Creek Falls State Park in TN. It is not far from Nashville. My view of camping in Nashville is that it is a cheap hotel for visiting tourist traps.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
We loved loved loved port at joe last year - it was booked solid

Also I want to try at george island - it was fully booked though - I'm booking next years trips as soon they come available jeez

Old 02-08-2015, 07:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
We just got back from Jetty Park in Cape Canaveral. There is lots to do there but the campground is like grand central station. It was more like a parking lot. There are better sights than we had though. You can see the cruise ships come and go and see launches from the cape. The Cape Kennedy Visitor Center was too expensive for us since we already have a visitors center here in Huntsville that we have a membership to. I can get into it with for free with my NASA badge where I don't get any deal at KSC. I have heard that folks are walking away once they get there and see the price. They also get you on parking.

We stopped at Three Rivers State Park (FL) on our way back out on Friday night and we were underwhelmed with it. So much so we left a day early. It seems that all parks are at their worst on the weekends. We were down wind of a stinky fire from some tent campers. Also someone burned one of those artificial wax logs for your home fireplace. It was very carcinogenic.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I once made the mistake of using one of those logs in a camp fire. Never again. My apologies to any one that was down wind from me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote