Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I really dont know.,,,800lbs of tounge weight maybe?
SHane
You set it up on a scale? Fords may be, well, weak? Mine barely moves more than 1" with just over 1,000-lbs in TW.

Tell us it's the angle or the pavement or . . . . .

Glad you're "home". Keep the pics coming.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
I really dont know.,,,800lbs of tounge weight maybe?

SHane
I was thinking the same thing. Have you looked at adjusting your hitch head better? Lower it on the shank some more and tilt the head back a few degrees. Your steering looks like it's affected some. I'm sure the ride will be better as well.
I too hope they will take good care of your trailer and get it back as good as new.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Glad you made to JC ok. I also need to make a pilgrimage there to fix 15 yrs use and apparently a design flaw with my Excella.

One thing that bothers me that I see owners complaining about repeatedly in these forums is that the leakage problems with Airstreams continues to plague owners, especially floor rot for one reason or another, what is going on here? I would think JC would know exactly what is going on with these leakage issues and would stop it from the beginning. I mean after all, how many trailers does JC need to fix that have the same problems over and over again in order to stop it from ever happening to begin with. Even my unit that is 15yrs old has had leakage issues somewhere along the way (before I purchased it), that has virtually destroyed my drapes on the roadside of the living room and caused some bulging in the interior ceiling. I don't know why they can't put some kind of rubberized membrane over the framing to seal out moisture. I have a rubberized membrane on a 20 year old camper I own (Western Wilderness), and It has never leaked and I have never covered it.

Sorry about the ranting, but it just continues to amaze me after all these years of manufacturing a great product that we are still addressing the same issues with the Airstream, and it contiunes to plague us owners. It makes wonder whether it isn't a "Grand Design" in the first place.

Also you might want Airstream to look at your TV / Trailer setup, it does look like it is leaning a little low on the back. If they can't level it out, I'm sure they will give you some great suggestions.

I hope your issues are resolved completely and have safe journey home.

Hank
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #44
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I looked some things up. The "classy" restaurant in JC is the Cafe Verandah. It is in a Victorian house on the south side of the highway. It is walking distance.

I could not find the place we ate at in Sidney. I recall coming into town on state highway 47 and going to the town square. It was just before it. There is a restaurant there called the Spot. It has been there for many, many years and looks interesting; I don't know anything about the food.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #45
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Well woke up extra early this morning and wanted to be on time. Was sitting in my truck waiting for the service doors to open at 6:15....even though I knew they opened at 7. I walk in at 7:00 and meet Paul, my tech. Spoke with Jim and Rick...super great guys. I mean really do treat you well. I was grinning ear to ear just to be inside such a magical place. You guys know that's where magic happens right? I believe it does.
So I hung around the lobby and kept peeking by out the window towards the service bays and Paul was working away.....here is a picture I took.

Then I talked ore with Paul as he was working. Very nice man. So I snapped a picture of the front side of my Airstream ..among others...

So I went and waited again in the waiting room,....but the next time I came out I was there for the "unveiling"

Warning! Graphic pictures ahead. If you are in least bit queezy, do not continue reading this thread.......

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED,,,

Can you handle it?.....more.?

Ok one more."......

I could smell the musty odor. Not too strong though.

The end result is...wood is salvageable. Not going to replace. BUT, they are going to replace the floor covering. Which is going to require a full gut. Everything is going to be removed and a new floor will be laid. Bad news is maybe Monday or Tuesday next week....slim hope for Friday.

So I'm in a hotel, for the next 5 days..or until they can get my bed out and then back .

I'm not unhappy. I feel honored to have been to Airstream, always wanted to go, and meet some of the magicians that work there. Great people who treat you friendly and like you really matter. First Class all the way.

next posts will be about the progress and someof the interesting things in the lobby,..aka ,..waiting area.

Be patient,....LIFE IS GOOD!

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Shane,
Nice post! Paul was the tech for us last Spring. He did a great job on all our little things, and stayed in touch with us during the process via cell phone and in person. Glad to hear you're getting it done right the first time. Get out and enjoy the history in the area.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
NOT going to replace the wood? Really? You are a much better person than I - I hope it all works out for you in the future.

Mold inside the walls? Insulation wet?
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That is gross Shane. It is a lot worse than my floor. I am taking up the vinyl to replace with a new floor.

First of all, there are leaks that have to be fixed or this will happen again. One place to check is the awning mounts—I have a leak showing up just below that. But, the windows and around the doors are also likely culprits. Front and rear panos are a frequent problem.

Second, I am not taking out the cabinets. I did remove the dinette seat next to the door. If they put down a new sheet of vinyl with the cabinets and partitions on it, the expansion/contraction cycle may cause the vinyl to develop humps. The vinyl or other flooring will do that when the trailer contracts during a cold winter. I don't know the lowest temps seen in the Dallas area, but this can happen when temps go below zero. Maybe it will not be a problem for you. But if you put in planks or tiles, they can be lifted up easier so you can look at the subfloor. I am using "loose lay" planks by Karndean and leaving about a quarter inch expansion/contraction zone around the edges. I will secure the planks with Velcro and removable spray glue. I will put trim over the expansion spaces. I know Airstream has installed laminates in trailers at the service center and that may be a reasonable alternative.

Third, are they sealing the plywood to reduce future damage? Some people use epoxy paint especially if there are any weak spots. Then exterior polyurethane on top of that. I will be using just polyurethane.

Fourth, are you sure there is no rot where the subfloor goes under the inner skin?

Fifth, looks like that black stuff is mold. How are they going to get rid of that?

Now you can wonder what is under the carpet in the front. I have a water stain to the immediate rear of the door and one near the sink, apparently from a leak from the sink drain. I am afraid to look under the carpet.

While your trailer is out of warranty, no trailer should have leaked like yours has. It is not that far out of warranty and seeing all those water stains and the possible mold, this has been going on for a long time. Talk to the customer relations people, ask for the boss, and suggest that if the trailer had been sealed properly this should not have happened. You live in drought country; imagine how bad it would have been had you lived somewhere else. Ask for some consideration or that they cover the whole thing. They have done it before for individuals.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Jackson Center Service

Shane,

Looking at your photos, I believe my trailer is in the bay next to yours (I can tell by the spare tire with the green tape on top). It is a 27FB Safari with Kiwi interior. My floor did not look quite as bad as your in terms of the size of the area affected by water intrusion, although the rot had progressed to the point where the table leg punched through the vinyl into the plywood. When I left they were planning to replace the plywood as well as the vinyl floor. If you have a chance, take a look at mine and let me know how it is progressing. Jim is the technician working on it.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #50
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy View Post
NOT going to replace the wood? Really? You are a much better person than I - I hope it all works out for you in the future.

Mold inside the walls? Insulation wet?

Shane,

Glad your trip went well.

Maybe it's just the photo's but the floor,(wood) does look a little iffy. On edit...A LOT iffy!!!!

Our trunk floor took three days to dry enough to install the modular plastic flooring.

It really should be thoroughly dried and hopefully sealed before the new topping is applied.

Are you comfortable that all the leaks have been addressed properly?

I just read Gene's post and he has expressed some of my concerns and did a much better job doing so.

Please be firm but agreeable, (maybe even as a last resort), offering a 50/50 split on any work you feel is needed but not included.

All the AS World is watching, use this thread to your advantage.

Good Luck!!

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You know, your friends here are steering you correctly.

Even to me, the near-unknowing, there was a lot of moisture seeping into your very new trailer. You can't be out of warranty that long and this cannot be chalked up to normal wear and tear.

Our seriously annoying and prolonged leaks around the vent fan and black tank vent were from bad initial installs. There are perhaps hundreds of complaints on this forum from others about the same thing. These are design flaws or flaws by design, which they are not remedying over time.

Put your foot down and insist they deal with this properly.

Maggie
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
You know, your friends here are steering you correctly.

Put your foot down and insist they deal with this properly.
Maggie
What Maggie said times 10.

This thread has the potential to be one of the best things thats happened for current and future AS owners in a very long while.

15 members and 25 guests!!!!

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
I'm going back in the morning...to check the progress. I want to see the whole floor with furniture removed. I'm already out fuel,now 5-8 nights of hotel fees...close to 1500.00 bucks....not to mention food,time lost from work,,etc...I'm not halving anything.

I'm just going slow and gonna think before things get put back together.

Thank you for all the advice....I have been told by several people in my life I take things too relaxed sometimes.

I might need a advisor representative standing next to me when I get back there....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #54
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
.......etc...I'm not halving anything.
I might need a advisor representative standing next to me when I get back there....
Shane
Just take your laptop with you, open on the Forums.

Feel your pain Shane.

Best of luck..

Bob
Old 02-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Interesting thread and useful for newbies to see the service bays and hear first hand of your impressions and experience. Glad you made it to the mothership. You are in good hands. Keep the pictures coming. Did you go on the factory tour yet? You know you can ask whatever questions or spend extra time in the manufacturing area of your interest? Each day (tour) can be different. Have you seen the new models? Are there any of the European units (those not available for US purchase,) those always interest me, those and the really BIG DAWGS (30-34') ?! Meet anyone from AIR in the terraport?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Here is an interesting thing in the waiting room....A Motorcycle, made by Jesse James, from wet coast choppers...along with the story,,,

Just awesomeness!!

I really do love this place.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
So have they found the source of the water?
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #58
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
We believe it is coming from the beltline. Right above the sewer holder compartment. Looks like the bead wasnt large enough.

Hey, its handmade. Made by humans.

Im not upset. Having a handmade product.. Well things happen on accident. Airstream is making it right. Thats all that matters to me. Airstream also said they are gonna test it for other leaks.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I am so impressed by your laid back attitude, and that is not a negitive comment - I have blood pressure meds to prove it. BUT, testing for leaks will not show leaching in from the beltline - that usually is a slow wicking of water that comes in contact with the wood and is drawn in. Did they remove the inside skins to look for damp insulation? Mold? the wood - once wet - will continue to degrade over time - it is now compromised as a structural member. Do they warrenty the repair if it fails (over the 90 days they will give you in this repair visit) since they are not replaceing the wood?

Do they read this - you are darn right they do. If only we could have a visitor list to each thread for viewing. It would do no good as they would log on as a guest. How do I know? I started one of these when I went there for my repair - not as nice as yours. I had a real good visit (sarcasim).

Best of luck - document everything - all conversations and people you see. Pictures work good for proof. Remember, that mold will stain through the new flooring in a year or so. It won't go away.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #60
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Do they really read this?

Doesn't matter to me. I'm honest and I believe they are being that way to me.

Gonna go back to the Mothership in the morning,...I'm sitting here in piqua,Ohio...watching tv drinking a beer. I honestly won't sleep much tonight because there is just something about being there. I'll post more tomorrow.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432

Tags
floor, jackson center, rot