Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #161
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
After reading this thread, I am looking forward to making the trip to JC! This really boosted my enthusiasm. Shane, thank you for sharing your experience in its entirety.
Concur with Aviator~! Am seriously considering Alumpalooza this year.

Quote:
I sure do miss my wife.
Shane, the vision of you sitting in your pod far from home reminded me of this.... "She packed my bags last night preflight....I miss the Earth so much, I miss my wife...."

Kudos to Shane for sharing this, Schu, and everyone at Airstream for making this a Hallmark moment.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #162
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink

"this a Hallmark moment."

Really.....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1PGC4462_XL.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	152684  
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #163
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Time for my last summary and to end my experience to the Mothership.

It was an extremely pleasant adventure. The people I have met really touched me. I'm still thinking about everyone today. There is such a family close atmosphere that I do wish to return. I will bring my lovely wife next time. Heck we can eat at Subway...

The drive home was un eventful. I still got around 14 mpg. I made it the first day..I left at 3:00 Ohio time on Monday, right after the counter top fix. I drove till I reached Arkansas and spent the night in a rest area....2:30a.mTexas time.

Nothing like the arms of my wife and a face lick from my Boxer pup Zeus.

I feel as if I have a new trailer. I had the floor changed to a classic color. I also purchased some of the sliding doors, upper bins, with the ones with the bamboo sticks impressed into the resin. But what I really enjoy the most is the peace of mind. What I am referring to..is since Airstream had to remove the laminate I actually got to inspect other areas of the floor,...the raw wood. No leaks. No staining...nothing....so,I know in my heart of hearts and the comfort of my mind....no leaks. There is just something about knowing that. I always thoughtin the back of my mind...you never know you have a leak till its too late. Now I will maintain,renew my seals and seams....this Airstream is mine and I won't ever get rid of her...it's difficult to buy peace of mind.

On a side note...I have a one of a kind trailer...it is an original!!

Here are some pics of before and after.....

I wish to thank Airstream for the fine work, caring family atmosphere and ease of everything. I am a brand loyal person. It's in my blood. I have driven Ford trucks since I got my driver license. Never had a major issue. Minor ones along the way and have always been treated right and fair. I will not waiver from Ford. Now, airstream has been added to my list. For me to say that and feel it is huge. I will stand by them and defend them till the end. Airstream is an example of integrity and honor. They care and will do anything to make the customer happy. This thread has been a testament to that.

Again, Thank you. "Airstream"... You make be proud to be an owner.

I tow with pride!

Shane Reed

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #164
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Great follow up Shane. Love the new floor!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #165
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Looks fantastic! Love the new doors!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
It's beautiful! So glad you're home safe after such a great experience. I've really enjoyed following your journey and will miss the frequent updates.

Take care and enjoy your homecoming!
Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It really looks great, Shane! I like the new cabinet doors too. Those see-through doors really look great with the light behind them.

They would never work for me, though. My cabinets are more like Fibber McGee's Closet. There would be no way for the light to get to the doors for all the stuff.

Glad all went well and you're home safe.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #168
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Looks beautiful, Shane.

Glad you made it home safe and sound, and it all worked out so well for you.

Be safe.

Maggie
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #169
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Excellent report and glad you made it home safely. Thanks for your contributions to the Airforums!

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:37 AM   #170
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Quanah , Texas
Three Rules to Live By

Shane:

I have been following your journey. It does appear Airstream treated you well.

There are three rules to now live by:

1. Never Sell a Piper Super Cub Airplane

2. Never sell a Colt Pistol

3. Never sell a Airstream trailer
Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #171
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Added note, Jim at Airstream called me yesterday to make sure I made it home safely and to see if I was still happy with the service they provided.

Wow..I told Jim I miss being there already.

Good people,great company.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 03-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #172
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I was curious about the rubber gasket that Shane took a picture of in this thread because I thought that that was a part of the fix to his trailer, however it was not installed per Shane. I contacted Airstream and spoke with one of the customer reps and asked him about the gasket. He said Airstream began installing the gaskets in the rear portion only in late 2011 models and is now std procedure build.
Thanks for taking a picture of the box with the gasket material otherwise I never would have known and now I know I can buy a 2012 model and hopefully not have the same problem.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #173
2 Rivet Member

1997 28' Excella
Eden , Utah
Interesting reading the past couple of weeks, glad everthing worked out for you. All I can say is you have a lot more patience than me. I'm afraid they would have kick me out of the place because of all the questions I would have fired at them and wanting to know why it wasn't fixed correctly in the first place. I'm sure there would have been a lot of tension in the air while I was hanging around, but again they have probably delt with a lot of irrate customers and know how to diffuse the situation.

HankO
HankO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #174
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankO View Post
Interesting reading the past couple of weeks, glad everthing worked out for you. All I can say is you have a lot more patience than me. I'm afraid they would have kick me out of the place because of all the questions I would have fired at them and wanting to know why it wasn't fixed correctly in the first place. I'm sure there would have been a lot of tension in the air while I was hanging around, but again they have probably delt with a lot of irrate customers and know how to diffuse the situation.

HankO
MmmHmm, I quite agree.

He had the patience of a saint, as my mother would say.

Good for him, good for them.

Maggie
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #175
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
About those gaskets (subfan1, post #172): I observed them being installed on FC's and Intl's while on a factory tour in June of 2010 (so I must have been looking at early 2011 models). Even though I've learned not to expect a straight answer from anyone along the RV food chain, nonetheless, I asked the tourguide when they started using these gaskets. His answer was "they've been doing that for some time, now."
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #176
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Hank', actually you can be firm with them about things that should have been done right in the first place and not get thrown out. The people who work in the service center see the problems the factory causes all the time, so they are used to it. For them, it is employment insurance. I've been really annoyed with the company, but customer relations and the service center is not the part of the company I am annoyed at. There's no need to take frustrations out on them unless they do something wrong.

I have had many contacts with "Schu" and feel that after I make my case, he has listened and treated me fairly within the constraints of what he can do.

I did enjoy my trips to JC. When waiting for a trailer to be fixed, time can drag on and on. Food choices are limited in JC and they start work all too early for me to vacate the trailer so they can work on it. But the techs work with the customers, keep us updated, and check to make sure everything is ok. But there is fun coming to the "mothership" and meeting people from all over who are owners or intrigued by Airstreams and come for the tour.

As for the gaskets, there are many types and qualities of gaskets. Given the company's penchant for using the cheapest stuff they can find, the gaskets may not be much of a fix. To get a good seal, the two surfaces must mate closely and there has to be some adhesive to keep everything sealed. The beltline and the similar trim at the bottom of the aluminum skin do not mate to the body that closely. They are using the gasket at the lower trim, not the beltline. Otherwise they have run a bead of Acryl-R along the trim, but the bead can fail over time. So can a cheap gasket. So it may improve things, but whether it will work well over time is to be seen. I have come to believe (and have posted previously) that RV manufacturers should be using gaskets everywhere. That would reduce leaks substantially in my opinion.

I'm glad to see Shane is back home and hope the family can take the newly improved Airstream on a spring trip soon.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:14 AM   #177
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
3 rules -1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Price View Post
Shane:

I have been following your journey. It does appear Airstream treated you well.

There are three rules to now live by:

1. Never Sell a Piper Super Cub Airplane

2. Never sell a Colt Pistol

3. Never sell a Airstream trailer
I'm with you Bill 3 rules -1 with a *

1)Never Sell Your Cessna 172 unless you are getting a Cessna 182. I sold my 172 the same day I picked up my new to me 182 Didn't go a day without a airplane.

2) Don't Own A Colt No Need for one in MY World* (I'm Not a gun Hater)

3) Don't sell your 1st Airstream until your new to me Airstream is sitting in the driveway. That's what I did.

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #178
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
MmmHmm, I quite agree.

He had the patience of a saint, as my mother would say.

Good for him, good for them.

Maggie
Lucky for them.......

Having a design that allows wood to come into direct contact with a horizontal flat piece of external metal is a bad design flaw. Not sealing that contact area is a warrenty issue that should not have a terminal date as it was not properly done when built. That pathway for water will always exist, any gasket and sealant applied will eventually fail and the damage will occur again.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #179
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shane, when you get out the Acryl-R, here's what I learned today:

It takes a long time to get the sealant through the pump. You need a strong solvent to wipe off messes and clean your fingers over and over. Rags are necessary too. I tried a tool to smooth out the bead, but my finger works best.

Messy job, but necessary.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 PM   #180
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Shane, when you get out the Acryl-R, here's what I learned today:

It takes a long time to get the sealant through the pump. You need a strong solvent to wipe off messes and clean your fingers over and over. Rags are necessary too. I tried a tool to smooth out the bead, but my finger works best.

Messy job, but necessary.

Gene
THank you.....My question is...do I need to clean off the old acryl-r? or just apply it over the existing?

Also whats the curing time?

Thank You....

I have this warm fuzzy feeling about my Airstream today.

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432

Tags
floor, jackson center, rot