Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #61
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks for the report Shane and the way you are handling this thread. We are all interested in the outcome. This airstream is still very new.. im sure they will do the right thing.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #62
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
I'm going back in the morning...to check the progress. I want to see the whole floor with furniture removed. I'm already out fuel,now 5-8 nights of hotel fees...close to 1500.00 bucks....not to mention food,time lost from work,,etc...I'm not halving anything.

Shane
Cost per mile on that truck of yours (since it is non-deductible, unlike for work, the full cost applies) is well above $1/mile for a 2011 Ford 4WD diesel. In a sense, these are not miles you "chose" to drive (even though transportation of the trailer could have been otherwise).

I'd figure it at $1.15/mile, all miles.

And I'd want a new floor. I'd never stop thinking the rot would continue. Will support your choice. Great shots of the shop!!

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #63
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hey Shane,
Glad you made it there safely and are in good spirits. It is unfortunate the circumstances in which you are there, but you seem to be enjoying yourself. I would recommend you take a machinist's scribe, scratch awl or ice pick and probe the perimeter of the floor to ensure it is sound. If it is sound, GREAT, if not, you need new sub floor. I would also recommend they remove the interior skin in that area to inspect/replace any water logged insulation. If the water entered the trailer from the bumper trunk area, I don't think you'd see that much water on top of the floor. With the interior skins off, you can see evidence of water intrusion, or not. Just my thoughts. Keep up the great attitude. I know mechanics will do a little better quality work for someone with a pleasant demeanor.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I agree with TOP. Your on top of the problem and have a good attitude. Why not come home and let them do an appropriate job. Then fly back (I figure those trips cheaper than hotels.) Then come home and come over to the lake here and we can break in the new flooring. By the way...I don't see any early 50's in the maintenance line up. They sure made 'em good then. I had leaks in my Cloud but nothing in 55 years like yours. Check in regularly.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
I'm going back in the morning...to check the progress. I want to see the whole floor with furniture removed. I'm already out fuel,now 5-8 nights of hotel fees...close to 1500.00 bucks....not to mention food,time lost from work,,etc...I'm not halving anything.

I'm just going slow and gonna think before things get put back together.

Thank you for all the advice....I have been told by several people in my life I take things too relaxed sometimes.

I might need a advisor representative standing next to me when I get back there....

Shane
I think I would want to see exactly where the water was coming in,,,, as in running water on the outside and watching where it is coming in at. That way after the repair is made they can repeat the test and see if it worked.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #66
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The water test they use at JC in the service center is a portable shower (bigger than the one in the bathroom, but not really large). They pull the trailer outside and spray it for a while. How well this compares with a driving rain that goes on for hours and hours while driving 65 mph is questionable. A poorly done sealing job may not show up for weeks until you are somewhere far away.

It is lunch time in Ohio now. I wonder how it is going today.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
My 2007 27FB had a leak issue at the rear bumper, like many other FBs manufactured around the same time period. It was out-of-warranty when I discovered it. I took it to the mothership and they did a great job repairing it. I didn't kickup a fuss with them. I mentioned that apparently this was an issue with this year group; as identified in the Air Forums. They didn't outright acknowledge a problem but the non-verbal cues indicated otherwise. They did an awesome job fixing the leak and the repair cost was very reasonable. The mechanics have a very pleasant demeanor and are reasonable people. It isn't their fault that there are sometimes design issues on the production line. Knowing that, I keep my attitude in-check; although it does make me a little disappointed that something so expensive and in production for over 70 years can have such an obvious, factory preventable design flaw in that year group.

Pill, if you are still concerned with leaks, try to find an RV repair shop that can perform a pressure test with the Sealtech 430R. I own one, and it is a great tool for finding leaks. If you are ever in the Washington DC area, let me know and i'll test your trailer.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #68
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Update.

I get there this morning and she is completely gutted. Had a fan drying the wood. I walked out there and felt the wood to confirm,,no soft spots at all. So Paul takes me over the trailer in the next bay and explains that there is insulation ubder the wood that was holding the water. So for future,...IF there ever becomes a leak, then the slit in the insulation will prevent water from collecting between the insulation and the wood. Which is what exactly happened to mine.

Here is a picture of the old flooring removed....DRY AS A BONE everywhere...even where I had the front Pano replaced because of a leak......

BTW,..this whole floor repair gives me a huge peace of mind!!! I know I dont have any leaks and my baby is solid...Peace of mind is a wonderful thing!!

Then I asked Rick about the classic floor color. I like the color better. He said not a problem and I'm having it installed. Here is a picture before and after........

Before Paul put in the new flooring,...well he laid it in and is keeping the drying wood open for awhile,,another day or so. I asked him if he could remove the wall over the leak so I can see the insulation and the wood under the wall to check if there was any rot. Paul said Absolutly..I went and sat down and about 10 minutes later he came and got me. The insulation looked brand new. I placed my had low and underneath the fiberglass and bot in the slighest damp or wet. The i examined the wood at the base with my knife....SOLID!!!!!! I caught this leak at the right time and am EXTREMELY satisfied with Airstream. The Service is impeciable and the employees are Family and are proud of their work.

Added note, with the added darker floors I talked to Amy about getting new replacement sliders for my top bins because they getting scratched too easily....Well look what she found for me,.....

This with the CCD walls,Darker Floors and and now Bamboo sliders....I have a custom Airstream REBULIT...LOL by Paul.

I almost Forgot....The leak Test Picture.....Paul says he is suppose to let the water run 30 mins,.....But instead he did a FULL hour!!!! Then we both went in the trailer for inspection......DRY DRY DRY!!!

CUSTOMER for LIFE,

SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like it all worked out, Shane.

Maggie
Old 02-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Mine - I didn't catch it in time, but on my rear panos, the 2006 model - the corners of the center pane weren't welded but caulked - and that leaked down between the walls. I also had mucho problemo with the bottom trim line leaking.

I personally think that the sprinkler is a very weak test of the the seals. There are so many sources of leaks:
  • one loose rivet,
  • the drain cap over my center window
  • around the running lights,
  • around the tail lights
  • every seam,
  • every window frame and window pane
  • the fantastic fan
  • the antenna
  • the effen cheapass skylight (twice replaced now)
If you aren't pressure testing it from the inside trying to create bubbles on the outside - you aren't sure it's not leaking. There's a member here who lives in the DC area who bought a pressure tester that fits over a fantastic fan. It's been only a few months since I had my work done, but I'm planning on making very good friends with him, and paying him to let me pressure test "foiled again" twice a year. Living on the foggy bottom east coast of Virginia - I've got to expect moisture to be a constant problem.

I've also bought a small dehumidifier for the same reason because I know I'm contributing moisture from the inside out too (fulltiming!).

Both are facts of life in a wet climate. I wish Airstream would think about US - who need a "Swampstream" that will drain it's moisture out through the C Channel....

And I will definitely NOT buy that gorgeous 30 Serenity until they offer it with weepholes in the C-CHannel AND a Nyloboard floor. ... or when pigs fly whichever comes first. (Yes I would even pay $1000 upgrade fee for the Nyloboard floor.) Gads I put that in writing, didn't I? Also in writing, I will not have another wretched skylight, but will take a 3rd Fantastic Fan!

(Now big mouth - put more money in that "new Airstream savings account" just in case they not only read but LISTEN to and ACT UPON this thread!) If they never do those things? Well I'll be paying for a custom vintage unit with a NyloBoard floor, etc! And it just might be an Avion or Silver Streak.

Paula
Old 02-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #71
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Well...Uh Paula....where is that Hijacked emotiocon?

Anyway....I'm pleased and Verrrry Happy. I did notice on the tour today at the rear of the beltline where my leak happened they are installing a rubber type gasket into the rear gap. I asked Paul about it because mine does not appear to have one.....Paul said he will talk to Rick about getting one installed.

What I'm gettin at in MY scenario is the customer service is unbelievable. They truly care about you as a customer when you have a problem. To me that goes a long way. I'm talking about like a Ford Problem or a Gm Problem.There is no concern ..you just a number......

Your Problem with Airstream, question or concern MATTERS!!!! You get to talk to the tech, walk around the shop, visit with the big wigs........To me thats priceless.....PRICELESS.

PLEASE everyone do not Tarnish my time I have spent here. If you have an issue or a complaint, this is not the thread. This thread is about my situation and how it was handled.

Thank you,..I hope you understand.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #72
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sounds like they are taking very good care of you and that is great to hear. Have you spent too much money at the company store yet? I understand that it is a common issue when visiting JC.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm very impressed how quickly they got all of the interior components out! Glad to hear you're happy with how it's going. Those cabinet sliders are lovely.

Paula, I wonder if it would be cheaper to just wait and buy a 3-year old 30' Serenity - and then take it to the trailer restorer of your choice to get Nyloboard put in. Hmmm...

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #74
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Great to see the progress Shane and reassuring they are taking good care of you. I would really like to see a picture (or 3) of the rubber gasket you mentioned.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #75
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Great to see the progress Shane and reassuring they are taking good care of you. I would really like to see a picture (or 3) of the rubber gasket you mentioned.

I took the tour today,...and no pictures are allowed while workers are working. So Im taking the tour again on friday and I will hopefully be able to sneak one or two.

Stay tuned.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, looking good Shane; I like your new floor choice too. Glad to hear that you are being, well taken care of, in Ohio.

I will be waiting right here for more updates.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #77
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Have you spent too much money at the company store yet? I understand that it is a common issue when visiting JC.
Lets just say that I LOVE THAT STORE!!!!!!!!
Plus parts wise,.......There is nothing that cant be had!!!!

SHane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #78
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Shane,

I'm glad to hear you are happy with what is happening. Everyone here is trying to help you even if they go off on tangents.

Other places that leak are the awning brackets on the side and the step light just below the lower awning bracket. Make sure they are well sealed. Water runs down the side of the trailer at the ends of the awning and right down past (and into) those items. I'm getting water right below there inside and bought some aviation grade Form-a-Gasket to seal under the brackets, then I'll put Acryl-R sealant around them.

I'd like to see a photo of the gasket at the beltline. We had one installed at JC (they didn't come on the '08's) because corrosion happens where the upper and lower panels meet. No gasket, but lots of sealant. I assume you mean the beltline just below the panos, not the trim at the bottom of the aluminum body. Our leaks at each end have been from the panos. They took apart the rear one and put all new sealant in at JC several years ago. They sealed the outside of the front one and I had to seal it again a year later. When you are looking at the goodies in the store, you might stock up on sealant.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM   #79
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Gene,

I'm referring to the belt line. Remove the belt line above the sewer storage there is a gap where the trailer top meets the bottom section. That's where the rubber gasket is located.

Panos are not the problem in my situation. In front or rear.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Anyway....I'm pleased and Verrrry Happy. I did notice on the tour today at the rear of the beltline where my leak happened they are installing a rubber type gasket into the rear gap. I asked Paul about it because mine does not appear to have one.....Paul said he will talk to Rick about getting one installed.
Shane
You may want to ask if that gasket will give you an 80mph rating in rain.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, jackson center, rot