Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Remember that most of the drivers on the roads around Disney area are not from Florida.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
My Disney/Fort Wilderness Trip

We lived near there for about 12 years and loved WDW experience we often had annual passes. The only thing that I can think of that can be a deal breaker regarding enjoyment is the sweltering heat and humidity of Florida in the summer. Summer lines are long and it is unbearably hot at times. I always recommend that families who don't have school age children visit the parks when school is in session while they can. Fort Wilderness increases the enjoyment in my opinion and has so many perks within the campground that a day out of the parks can be enjoyable too. Plan accordingly, relax and you'll have a great time!
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
We just returned yesterday from a 5 night visit at Disney/Fort Wilderness. We have a 4yr old and wanted to take advantage of the off-season before she starts school.

Concerning Fort Wilderness, it was our first visit and we were extremely satisfied with our experience. Obviously, the price is high for a campground, but given the conveniences and amenities at the campground, it was well worth it. The fact we could take the ferry to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Transit buses anywhere else was a huge perk. Our truck didn't move (and was covered in pollen to prove it) the entire week.

I would also agree that a theme park ticket isn't needed for every day of the stay. At times our daughter was more excited to play in the pool at the campground, as opposed to getting over to one of the theme parks.

I'd also add that I was surprised at the route into the campground. I was expecting much more congestion and traffic as we neared the park, but our GPS took us through several communities with very little traffic at all (except of course the Florida Turnpike and I75 prior to that.)

Tom
schkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
We really like Ft Wilderness. Raising two young children it became our go-to camping place. My inlaws gave us seasonal passes so a load up and go weekend trip was do able. As the children grew Disney and camping has stayed in their hearts. At your children's age the bus, boat and monorail experience will be memorable. Get a multi-day pass, use the early access and get out when the kids tire. Eat well for breakfast, snack in the park, most likely you will be back to the camper for a late lunch and naps. You will have a much better time if you don't push the kids. My kids are in the 20's now. My son is there today.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
You will love it. Go! Get a stroller and buy tickets to at least Magic Kingdom and Epcot and plan to spend a full day in each. When our kids were young we planned downtime back at the room/RV around 2:00 and let the kids nap then went back out around dinner time which is when it "cools off a bit" like it is ever cool in Florida. Downtown Disney is free to walk around and is also a lot of fun. Just one thing to be sure you do - take lots of pest repellant (they have crawling and flying insects in Florida that exist no where else in nature) and loads of sun block. The nice thing about staying on-property is that you can use the provided WDW transportation. Also if you are on-property the shops will send purchases you make for pick up where you are staying so you don't have to walk around with several bags full of stuff. They used to and hopefully still do a light show on towed barges with music on the lake by Ft. Wilderness and also a big cook out at least once a week on the beach. Sure WDW is 100% fabricated to create a personal experience (just like Las Vegas) but it sure is a great vacation!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Newport , Rhode Island
The back road is a great way to enter or exit and go shopping etc. we usually stay a week over Christmas and go to DR. Phillips area which has two publix and whole foods. When you leave the fort take a left and that takes you through a couple neighborhoods and out to all the shopping. We love staying at raccoon lane Loop in the fort. Have Fun!!!
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
Good luck with finding a spot then. FW is filled to capacity now. I camp at Tropical Palms in Kissimmee, just outside the WDW. http://www.carefreecommunities.com/r...ms/rv-camping/. $80 for premium site (includes everything) or less with fewer amenities. Then you can spend the money saved on the park since the rates are going up significantly for "fun" times of the year.
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
My husband and I camped at Ft. Wilderness in December 2014 - We're senior citizens with no kids, but I really wanted to see the Christmas lights. We met some people who come to Ft. Wilderness every year and spend a good part of the day decorating their RV and site! Oh, and their golfcarts too. Suggest you purchase tickets as soon as possible and then reserve any special events that you want - like character meals. I think that you can start to reserve FastPass attractions 2-3 months before your visit - do this as soon as you can. Don't count on pool time in the afternoon. We had cooler than normal temps - I think it was in the 50s the night we did Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. And, we had a full day of rain. But, you could 70 or 80 degree temps too. As for the Christmas Party, it was fun, but expensive. You do get unlimited hot chocolate and cookies. Not sure that very young children will want to wait along the streets to get a good glimpse of the parade. But, don't miss Cinderella's castle lit up at night. The light show on the castle is awesome. Dinner reservations are a must if you want to eat at any of restaurants, although this might get boring for very small children - we had reservations for dinner at the German restaurant at Epcot before the Christmas show - and still had to wait almost an hour to be seated. I'd probably skip any sit down meals except for character meals. You might be tempted to skip Epcot, but we saw Mary Poppins in "England", Belle in "France" and "Norway" should have the "Frozen" ride up by now. Frozen mania was in full swing.
peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #29
TAC-TN3

2005 31' Classic
near nashville , Tennessee
Cool aldean

hi just thought I would add some info I have used for our trips to wdw

if u r going to travel in fla getting a sun pass is helpful

go online to allearsnewsletter they have wonderful info on closings, refurbs, programs etc

go to disneyfoodblog.com to find out re allergy, glutin and any other menus and where u might find them throughout the kingdom

also when getting through the gates, m ost people go right so we always go left and hit the rides there that r not busy

go have fun take plenty of pix ( we r older very retired couple but we sure love to look at the pix of hubby and I with chip and dale !! )
transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
My husband and I camped at Ft. Wilderness in Dec. 2014. We're seniors, no kids, but I really wanted to see the Christmas lights. We met people who camp there every year around Christmas and spend the better part of a day decorating their RV, campsite, and golf carts.

Suggest that you buy your tickets ASAP and make any dining reservations that you want - such as character meals. I think you can reserve your Fast Pass events 2-3 months before your visit and I'd do that as soon as you can. There probably isn't much of a wait at the "kiddie" rides, but there will be long waits at any of the performances that you might want to see.

December temperatures in Florida are variable so don't count on pool time. We had cooler weather than normal (needed a light jacket in the daytime - and more at night). And, a full day of rain. We shivered through Mickey's Very Merry Christmas party. Not sure I'd recommend with very small children. In order to get a good viewing spot for the parade, you need to get there early. But, don't miss seeing Cinderella's castle at night. The light show is awesome.

I used the Disney Tourist BLog on Facebook for lots of my planning.

We really liked the Animal Kingdom and I expect children would enjoy seeing the animals. We went to Hollywood Studios but probably wouldn't return - and there's only a few things that small children might enjoy. Loved Epcot and saw Mary Poppins in England, Belle in France, and Norway was getting ready for a Frozen ride.

The transportation system within Ft. Wilderness and to the parks worked well, but you probably need to allow an hour to get to/from the parks from the campground. So, going back and forth is pretty time consuming.

Hope you have a wonderful and memorable trip.
peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
As always this site is full of great information.

I absolutely agree thar Florida has an unusual number of bad drivers. I'm a little concerned about towing a trailer with some of those people around. Between granny going 1/2 the speed limit in her Cadillac with the turn signal on and all the young girls putting on Lipstick and texting while driving its a dangerous place. I work in Niagara Falls so I should be used to tourist drivers but Florida takes it to a whole new level. But there was one guy in Niagara Falls that tried to put his car between my truck and trailer, I still wonder what kind of car he thought was tailgating me.

Luckily for us my parents spend the winter in Florida at a community about 45min from Disney. So we'll have a babysitter available on demand! They've never been to Disney and steer clear of Orlando but they'll be a great help on this trip. If I can get my dad to lend me his golf cart for the week even better
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Changing the reservation I made to the one I want turned out to be easier than I expected. There was nothing available the week we wanted to go so I booked the week after. I checked today and the week I wanted was available. I don't know if it was a cancelation of that Disney made more sites available, but I managed to change my reservation (and saved $225) [emoji6]
Old 03-09-2016, 06:23 PM   #33
Vaquitaboss

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Lithia , Florida
Plan, Plan, Plan

What an exciting time you'll have I'm sure.
We've been many times to Disney, but only camped once.
My favorite thing to do is to get a dining reservation early in the morning for the Crystal Palace Character Breakfast. It is a wonderful buffet, and Winnie the Pooh and friends visit each table to make certain your kids get pictures and autographs. That experience is wonderful. The best part though, is getting into the park early. You'll beat all the crowds, and see a pretty empty Main Street. It really is incredible to see. I'm retired, and I still enjoy doing that when friends come down.

You must plan as early as possible, preferably when you book your campsite. I'm certain you would enjoy it.

Best to you all,

Richard
vaquitaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
One other tip I forgot. My normal practice for theme parks is to bring my collapsible wagon to carry kid stuff around and give them a way to ride when tired without having to be strapped in and out of stroller. Disney, however, doesn't allow the wagons so bring your stroller. Their rentals are expensive.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:32 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
The three year old will be thrilled with the magic kingdom. if you are traveling that far I would see the park

thanks
Earl
EarlM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Good to hear about the stroller, we've got a double and a jogging stroller, I'll probably bring both and the carrier. Too bad we can't use our wagon.

Right now the plan is to get park passes for most days for the family but my wife and I want to leave the kids with my parents and have one day just the two of us in the park.

We'll also have to go to my parent's place one day so they can show off their grandkids to their neighbours.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Bicycle Trailer?

So when I told my wife the cost of renting a golf cart at Fort Wilderness ($59 per day plus tax and exchange!) she decided we will not be renting a golf cart.

Then I had the brilliant idea to buy and bring a bicycle trailer!
I can buy one for much less than renting a golf cart, and we'll get some much needed exercise at the same time.

I'm mostly interested in going to the pools and looking at the Christmas decorations.

We'll be towing with the Tundra, so I've got room for two bikes and the trailer (assuming it folds up) so transporting bikes won't be an issue.

Anyone have experience with one of these trailers?

Something like this
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/cc...l#.VuMIy_krL4Y
Old 03-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I bought a bike trailer to ride my daughter around. Paid about $30 off of craigslist. It has worked well. I am thinking about converting it to ride my 15 year old dog around. He just isn't what he used to be. Hips, eyes, hearing, etc.....
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Following...
Looking forward to a time when I can go to Fort Wilderness, the most awesome campground in the wide world...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:22 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
We've been to WDW around Christmas. It is a busy time, but the weather is great! The decorations are beautiful and you can't beat the magic of WDW. We took my two oldest, then 3 and 12 months. Five years later my oldest still remembers certain aspects of the trip!

We were careful to filter the attractions...some seem fun but are so intense for little kids. I took my kids to A Bug's Life show and they were terrified. The goal is to leave with happy memories, not nightmares, haha.

If at all possible, bring another adult whi can take turns watching the kids. There are so many fun attractions for older kids and adults...it's fun to go back out at night after the kids are asleep.

Warmly,

Beth (mom of 4)

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote