Old 03-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
As someone else said it will be more of a trip for the adults. My daughter is six years old and loves all the princess stuff etc..... But she is now just coming of age to really appreciate such a big trip to feed the Mouse.
I will be watching your thread to see how things go.
Have a great time.

Steve, Christy, Anna and Scout (Border Collie)

1994 30'11" Excella - rear twin
2009 Dodge 2500, 6 Speed Auto, CTD, Quad Cab, Short Bed
Hensley with adjustable stinger

WBCCI # 3072
AIR # 6035
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
Mesa , Arizona
AldeanFan there is a previous thread here somewhere that covers Fort Wilderness and had lots of good information. Someone might post it or Google
"Airforums Fort Wilderness"
"Airforums Fort Wilderness Disneyland"

Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
My Disney/Fort Wilderness Trip

Thanks for all the great information.
I really appreciate the advice about the parks and the campground.

We've got a tentative reservation so now we're working out the travel details. Last time we drove to Florida it was just my wife and I in a car and we did it in two days mostly at 75mph. For this trip were planning to leave 4 days to travel, which will average 500km per day. That should be more than manageable and give us a buffer in case of bad weather. My only concern is getting far enough south the first day to find an open park to stay at and warm enough weather to de-winterize. If we make good time and make the trip in less than 4 days we can either stay somewhere for 2 nights of route or find a spot for one night in Florida before our fort wilderness arrival date.

We took the airstream to myrtle beach last spring with our daughter. We found that she was good for about 3 hours in the morning with the DVD player. Then we'd stop for an hour+ for lunch and let her run around either at a rest stop or in the trailer, then She'd nap for around 2 hours. And when she'd wake up we'd stop for a snack and a rest then drive about another hour. This worked really well and made for nice relaxing travel days.
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Originally Posted by jayseejay View Post is a great source of info about the ins and outs of experiencing Fort Wilderness. Joe

Thanks so much, this is a great site!
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
If u scroll to the very bottom of the page u will also find other threads on Fort Willderness
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1977 23' Safari
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
We recently priced FW and it's just too expensive for a long stay. I believe it's in the area of $160 a night or so. You get a nice asphalt pad, table, water, electric and sewer. But that's a lot of money to us, Then again, we stay down there 3 months

For WDW I strongly suggest getting the book "The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World. It tells you how to set up a schedule so you're on the rides while people are eating lunch and vice-versa. An interesting item, they did a survey among children about what their favorite part of the trip was. The overwhelming winner was the hotel pool. So maybe checking into a motel with a pool is a good choice too.

I have 3 adult children but I remember taking them to WDW back in the 70s. They were all very young but we had a great time, stayed in the Contemporary when it was brand new, rode the monorail, had a great time.

Get reservations as soon as the window opens at their site. Florida drivers are not so polite (my observation, YMMV). When you go, pace yourself, make sure the kids get plenty of water, you too. Take frequent breaks. Disney Springs (old Downtown Disney & Pleasure Island) is free and has some interesting restaurants and stores. There's a balloon ride, video game building, theaters, water features etc.

Remember, it's a vacation, it's supposed to be fun

The pricing swings pretty wildly from as low as $70 to as high as $170 that I've seen and lots of things are priced out when booking 3 months
On top of that we're paying with Canadian money so we're paying a premium of about 40%+\- right now

The book is ordered from Amazon!
1977 Safari Land Yacht
2005 Toyota Tundra SR5
2010 Ford Flex Ecoboost
Old 03-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Remember that most of the drivers on the roads around Disney area are not from Florida.
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:24 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1977 27' Overlander
1996 34' Excella
Florida Panhandle , Florida
My Disney/Fort Wilderness Trip

We lived near there for about 12 years and loved WDW experience we often had annual passes. The only thing that I can think of that can be a deal breaker regarding enjoyment is the sweltering heat and humidity of Florida in the summer. Summer lines are long and it is unbearably hot at times. I always recommend that families who don't have school age children visit the parks when school is in session while they can. Fort Wilderness increases the enjoyment in my opinion and has so many perks within the campground that a day out of the parks can be enjoyable too. Plan accordingly, relax and you'll have a great time!
The Evans' Family
Florida Panhandle
WBCCI 7091, Unit 153 & AIR 88474
1977 Overlander / 27' ~ The Attitude Adjuster
1997 Airstream Excella / 34' ~ The Sane Asylum
Paddledipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
2014 23' FB International
Springdale , Arkansas
We just returned yesterday from a 5 night visit at Disney/Fort Wilderness. We have a 4yr old and wanted to take advantage of the off-season before she starts school.

Concerning Fort Wilderness, it was our first visit and we were extremely satisfied with our experience. Obviously, the price is high for a campground, but given the conveniences and amenities at the campground, it was well worth it. The fact we could take the ferry to the Magic Kingdom and Disney Transit buses anywhere else was a huge perk. Our truck didn't move (and was covered in pollen to prove it) the entire week.

I would also agree that a theme park ticket isn't needed for every day of the stay. At times our daughter was more excited to play in the pool at the campground, as opposed to getting over to one of the theme parks.

I'd also add that I was surprised at the route into the campground. I was expecting much more congestion and traffic as we neared the park, but our GPS took us through several communities with very little traffic at all (except of course the Florida Turnpike and I75 prior to that.)

schkube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Clearwater , Florida
We really like Ft Wilderness. Raising two young children it became our go-to camping place. My inlaws gave us seasonal passes so a load up and go weekend trip was do able. As the children grew Disney and camping has stayed in their hearts. At your children's age the bus, boat and monorail experience will be memorable. Get a multi-day pass, use the early access and get out when the kids tire. Eat well for breakfast, snack in the park, most likely you will be back to the camper for a late lunch and naps. You will have a much better time if you don't push the kids. My kids are in the 20's now. My son is there today.
ChuckFeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1969 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
You will love it. Go! Get a stroller and buy tickets to at least Magic Kingdom and Epcot and plan to spend a full day in each. When our kids were young we planned downtime back at the room/RV around 2:00 and let the kids nap then went back out around dinner time which is when it "cools off a bit" like it is ever cool in Florida. Downtown Disney is free to walk around and is also a lot of fun. Just one thing to be sure you do - take lots of pest repellant (they have crawling and flying insects in Florida that exist no where else in nature) and loads of sun block. The nice thing about staying on-property is that you can use the provided WDW transportation. Also if you are on-property the shops will send purchases you make for pick up where you are staying so you don't have to walk around with several bags full of stuff. They used to and hopefully still do a light show on towed barges with music on the lake by Ft. Wilderness and also a big cook out at least once a week on the beach. Sure WDW is 100% fabricated to create a personal experience (just like Las Vegas) but it sure is a great vacation!
kdickinson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
Newport , Rhode Island
The back road is a great way to enter or exit and go shopping etc. we usually stay a week over Christmas and go to DR. Phillips area which has two publix and whole foods. When you leave the fort take a left and that takes you through a couple neighborhoods and out to all the shopping. We love staying at raccoon lane Loop in the fort. Have Fun!!!
eliset123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
Good luck with finding a spot then. FW is filled to capacity now. I camp at Tropical Palms in Kissimmee, just outside the WDW. $80 for premium site (includes everything) or less with fewer amenities. Then you can spend the money saved on the park since the rates are going up significantly for "fun" times of the year.
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
2014 30' Flying Cloud
St. Marys , Georgia
My husband and I camped at Ft. Wilderness in December 2014 - We're senior citizens with no kids, but I really wanted to see the Christmas lights. We met some people who come to Ft. Wilderness every year and spend a good part of the day decorating their RV and site! Oh, and their golfcarts too. Suggest you purchase tickets as soon as possible and then reserve any special events that you want - like character meals. I think that you can start to reserve FastPass attractions 2-3 months before your visit - do this as soon as you can. Don't count on pool time in the afternoon. We had cooler than normal temps - I think it was in the 50s the night we did Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. And, we had a full day of rain. But, you could 70 or 80 degree temps too. As for the Christmas Party, it was fun, but expensive. You do get unlimited hot chocolate and cookies. Not sure that very young children will want to wait along the streets to get a good glimpse of the parade. But, don't miss Cinderella's castle lit up at night. The light show on the castle is awesome. Dinner reservations are a must if you want to eat at any of restaurants, although this might get boring for very small children - we had reservations for dinner at the German restaurant at Epcot before the Christmas show - and still had to wait almost an hour to be seated. I'd probably skip any sit down meals except for character meals. You might be tempted to skip Epcot, but we saw Mary Poppins in "England", Belle in "France" and "Norway" should have the "Frozen" ride up by now. Frozen mania was in full swing.

peggy2ten is offline   Reply With Quote