Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Mike Leary!

I wish that I could believe that it was an oversight, but it was obviously meant as a threat.
He could have had wiring problems, but that was no excuse. I've gotten on the horn many times when the big boys failed to maintain their rigs or stayed on the road too long.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I had my AS appraised the professional appraiser, also a forums member, made up a folder using prints of Ebay listings.

NADA also has a RV price book.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
insurance claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
A month ago as my wife and I were travelling with our A/S a very large 18 wheeler bumped our trailer and put it into an oscillation which I was unable to control. It went over taking the tow vehicle with it. I had two anti-sway bars and a w/d hitch. My wife was uninjured but I had a broken vertabre in my back. I was in the hospital for 30 days! My question is "what was she worth?" It was a 20 ft 2006 Safari in immaculate condition. New tires, two new AGM batteries, brand new air conditioner, two newaluminum gas tanks, etc.. I think she was worth at least $25,000 but the insurance company says not. Here we go again! What do you think she was worth and how do I prove it?
Ouch, hope you'll be ok. Claims agents aren't always right, gather real data with recently sold units and units available and present that info to the claims person. If they dig in, ask why, could be your policy, could be they are clueless, ask them to provide at least three local (50 miles) locations you can buy one, with tax, tag transfer, etc., you may be able to push the issue depending on your state insurance laws.

Good Luck
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
When I had my AS appraised the professional appraiser, also a forums member, made up a folder using prints of Ebay listings.

NADA also has a RV price book.
NADA is useless for an airstream, I sold my 76 Argosy for $8500 , it shows $800 for a 77 Safari 23.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
He might have been giving you a "thanks" if you blinked your lights when he came past, and spaced turning them off. We travel all the time, and believe me, the 18 wheelers are 99% courtesy, as we are blinking the high beams when they come flying by.
These guys are putting hi-candlepower in the cab reverse lamp position (docking lights). I see this crap too. I haven't had this in a while (first time I thought it was a mistake), but next time I'm gettin' on the CB to broadcast truck description/trailer license far & wide. And calling the Smokies to report reckless endangerment if they come near to sideswiping me. I use the flasher unit in the trucks I drive to say thanks. Otherwise, the "thanks" is only a switch (cutout) on the clearance lamps. Reverse or docking lamps not affected. Once, a mistake . . more than once (and seen it a half-dozen times) it's a bad learned behavior.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
These guys are putting hi-candlepower in the cab reverse lamp position (docking lights). I see this crap too. I haven't had this in a while (first time I thought it was a mistake), but next time I'm gettin' on the CB to broadcast truck description/trailer license far & wide. And calling the Smokies to report reckless endangerment if they come near to sideswiping me. I use the flasher unit in the trucks I drive to say thanks. Otherwise, the "thanks" is only a switch (cutout) on the clearance lamps. Reverse or docking lamps not affected. Once, a mistake . . more than once (and seen it a half-dozen times) it's a bad learned behavior.
I've only used my OnStar twice since I bought my Silverado in 2008. Both times were to call for assistance from a State trooper because I was being harassed by a rogue trucker. Once I was towing the Airstream. I was on an interstate and was harassed by a trucker pulling a trailer for over 20 miles. It was almost 15 minutes before I remembered the On-Star button. I saw the trooper making a U-Turn to come into the northbound lane. The truck driver must have hit 90 to get out of range before the trooper could complete the turn and merge into traffic. I pulled over and gave a statement to the trooper who said they'd had numerous complaints about this same rig - and the plates and DOT numbers were all fake.

I felt like I'd wandered into a Hitchcock movie or the Twilight Zone. Totally creeped out, I changed my whole route. Don't know if they ever caught him.

The second time - it was the backup light thing that lasted for about 2 minutes.

There are some scarey people out there.

(and also some great ones, so focus on the positive)

Paula
Paula
Old 12-10-2011, 05:20 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
This is a good reminder for all of us to review our insurance coverage. "Agreed value insurance" might be a good choice for Airstream owners since book values are so low.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Truck drivers on the road these days

[onsoapbox] As an OTR (over the road) trucker for many years I'm dismayed by the average truck driver competence that I see on the roads today. A quick way to judge the competence of a truck driver is to observe his ability to stay centered in his lane because it's a direct indicator of skill and attention level. When I drove, as soon as I noticed that I wasn't staying centered in my lane it was time for me to pull over and get some rest. What I see on the highways these days indicates to me that there are mostly green and marginally competent drivers out there and you should make all efforts to stay out of close proximity to them because no good can ever come from rolling along in close quarters to them. Plus, if you've ever seen a 200 lb brake drum suddenly split apart and the cast iron pieces go bouncing down the road you won't like being close to a big truck ever again. Always do what you have to to keep the odds in your favor. [/onsoapbox]
"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #29
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
[onsoapbox] As an OTR (over the road) trucker for many years I'm dismayed by the average truck driver competence that I see on the roads today. A quick way to judge the competence of a truck driver is to observe his ability to stay centered in his lane because it's a direct indicator of skill and attention level.. . . What I see on the highways these days indicates to me that there are mostly green and marginally competent drivers out there and you should make all efforts to stay out of close proximity to them because no good can ever come from rolling along in close quarters to them . . . . Always do what you have to to keep the odds in your favor. [/onsoapbox]
That is a post I've bookmarked. Thanks, Crusty, very well said, as many or most truck drivers are not a problem to others . . but the ones who are need to be identified (behavior). The use of mirrors is new to all drivers new to towing. Take that for granted. Nearly all the rest of us need to improve. What is behind me is the future (as most traffic is overtaking me; as it should be) and winds or fatigue or distractions may cause several types of big truck handling problems for their drivers.

I do not ever recommend staying over to the right of the lane. One may need all of the lane maneuvering room one has. This is important. Plus, it only encourages those overtaking and passing (two separate time/distance occasions) to continue their bad behavior (all other vehicles). By maintaining "lane-centeredness" for nearly all miles I am exerting the discipline and control towing demands. And it tends to focus the passing driver (a narrower passage past me).

But when I see a vehicle coming up that is looking like a problem I'm off the cruise control and ready to move to the right of the lane as they transition from overtaking to passing. (By ready, I mean I have any slack out of the steering/hitch rigging taken up). I drop off in speed at the transition moment. Sometimes even braking (trailer first: keep the rigging taut) to absolutely minimize our vehicle proximity time. And then speed back up some as I do not want them moving back to the right lane too soon. Once they do I slow again, slightly, until a very sizeable gap emerges when I can re-establish travel speed.

The use of mirrors here is of the quality of "peripheral vision". I need to know where I may take this rig in the event of a problem. A good thing to practice. Always an out. Watching the problem vehicle is not conducive to best practice . . in fact it may make matters worse.

I would say that most long days of travel involve this pattern a few times. I don't think it unusual. Someone is always traveling faster than they should be (too fast for conditions). A "rogue" is something else entirely, a threat that is not at all accidental.

I don't expect to have to record license and other vehicle identifying characteristics, but as I have a trip plan already written out, it serves for note-taking as well. (Trip plans include alternate stops; so an early break at a truckstop or rest area is sometimes indicated depending on a gut feeling by "who" is out there).

Old 12-10-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
I forgot to add ...

I totally forgot to mention (probably because it's unconscious to me now) that the way to judge your lane position is to quickly look at the trailer wheels in both mirrors and compare the space between the wheels and the lane markers. When the gaps are equal you're in the center. You quickly learn how much space is correct for your rig and a glance at one mirror will usually verify your position.

One very good reason for staying off of the shoulder is that's where the trash lives and many bad things wind up lying there just waiting to jump up and hurt your tv, trailer and maybe even you.

I'd really like to instruct everyone here in the Smith System of Safe Driving but it's one of those things that's very hard to do in written words but very easy to learn riding around with someone demonstrating it to you. Seriously a 30 minute drive with an instructor can completely change your mindset about driving and when it's done correctly is exhausting because of the concentrated attention required. It also increases your safety on the road by at least a factor of 10 because hardly anything catches you by surprise. Maybe I can try to make a video and post it on Youtube.

One other tip that just occurred to me to mention. When you're in a tight spot like in a soon to occur wreck, your vehicle is going to go where you're looking (an unconscious tendency that we all share). If you stare at the side of the car which pulled out in front of you, that's where you're going to hit. So, when you get in one of these LOOK FOR THE OPENING TO SAFETY and that's where you'll steer your vehicle unconsciously.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 12-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Ooh, fab, guys, thanks. I've always looked up to the pro truckers out on the road, and I'd love to see a vid on the Smith System, Crusty. All props.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
A short video of the Smith System

I did find one short video with an instructor demonstrating the Smith System and speaking aloud what he sees and thinks as he drives while using it.

The system essentially teaches you to keep scanning and to really evaluate what it is that you're seeing as you drive. You can practice it by driving around in your car and speaking out loud what it is you're seeing and thinking about what you've seen. Just doing this will teach you an intuitive sense of the system.

You should keep scanning all around in your field of view (including your mirrors) and it's OK to include stuff like "dog sleeping in yard" or "pretty panorama here" (things with no impact on your driving) because that helps to keep you alert overall since one main object is to prevent tunnel vision and only focus on what's directly in front of you.

When done correctly it is mentally exhausting because of the high mental activity involved but it also markedly increases your safety on the road.

Since truck drivers are professional drivers, they're held to a higher standard of performance than "don't break any laws or get in any wrecks" and all trucking companies have programs to teach their drivers how to drive at this enhanced level, but it does take time to learn the methods and skills required and a certain amount of discipline to always use them.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 12-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
......One other tip that just occurred to me to mention. When you're in a tight spot like in a soon to occur wreck, your vehicle is going to go where you're looking (an unconscious tendency that we all share). If you stare at the side of the car which pulled out in front of you, that's where you're going to hitting. So, when you get in one of these LOOK FOR THE OPENING TO SAFETY and that's where you'll steer your vehicle unconsciously.
This is one of the lessons I learned a long time ago riding motorcycles that has served me well over the years. It is amazing how true this is. If you visually fixate on a road hazzard or the point of impact with another vehicle, you can quickly get into trouble. However, if you are looking at your escape route, you will stand a much better chance of getting out of a dangerous situation.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
We just returned from a 20,000 mile tour around the northern US. We had many close calls and several confrontations with semis. I have no faith in the abilities of the truck drivers who we are expected to share the road with. One of the truckers used a spot light to blind us as well. The level of aggressiveness is probably related to their use of meth. We have started keeping a camera on the dash so that we can document an event or report an aggressive & unsafe driver.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #35
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
In general, I find most truck drivers courteous on the road. I have had encounters with those that are not; one intentionally forced me off the road while I was riding my motorcycle many years ago. I've had a bad encounter with a car driver or two as well in the last 37 years as well, though; however, an idiot in an Miata is somehow less worrisome than one in a Peterbilt.

The best strategy seems to be to be very polite in terms of driving. Always signal your intent, leave lots of room for others and don't merge in front of others and then slow down, etc. Like it or not, we're a often a big obstacle on the road when pulling our 'Streams - we're 45+ feet long, and generally moving at 15 mph below the rest of traffic, at least in California. It's sort of like swing dancing on a crowded dance floor; everyone needs to watch out and plan ahead.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
No truck driver who expects to be in the business tomorrow will be using meth because of the random drug tests and the inability to fake the log books. I think what you saw was a bunch of overstressed drivers who no longer even have a last nerve for someone to get on.

What I see on the road today are marginally skilled truck drivers who are likely forced to meet an impossible schedule, have to travel in heavy traffic most of the time with brain dead car drivers who are too busy texting or talking to even look up, are routinely robbed by predatory law enforcement and weigh station personnel, who must listen to the often offensive and threatening bull corn on the cb radio, endure long working hours for what ultimately turns out to be about minimum wage, and are gone from home for extended periods of time. The driver turnover rate for most trucking companies has to be through the roof.

The old time truckers are almost all gone now or have changed professions because truck driving has degenerated into an intolerable way to almost make a living. I see so many poor or inexperienced truck drivers out there today it really makes me cringe.
"Rancho Deluxe"
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I don't agree with the 18 wheel bashings: we are out there all the the time and those truckers are as on top of it as can be. Granted, we'll see some nut cases, but I've seen a hell of a lot more trailer and mo/ho types that put everyone in harm's way. It's a matter of knowing how to drive on faster and faster interstates, when you're not. As I've posted, the new "skirts" the 18-wheelers are running on their trailers these days are very harmfull to your health unless attention is paid when they come breezing by.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Truck driving was ruined by being "de-regulated" in the 1970's. What profits there were now no longer go to the man doing the work. Turnover rates are 100% or more on average. The conditions in many of the big companies are terrible (on top of the stresses all experience in this work). That said, the primary cause of truck::car accidents is car driver mistakes.

If car drivers had an understanding of hard it is to do it they'd have a greater appreciation of how little incident there is in concerns big truck and car interactions. The bad truck drivers among them tick off other drivers even more than what the car drivers feel. I've seen other trucks corral a rogue big truck and not let him "escape" until the LEO's arrived. Like an elephant herd it was . . . .

Old 12-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Sounds like a Stan Ridgeway song!

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I am 62, been driving since I was 10 and full timing for 5 years. We are many miles down the road from the time when the truckers owned their own rigs. In the past 20 years a lot has changed. I can empathize with the truck drivers who complain about the increase in traffic but it does not give them the right to endanger the rest of us. This summer we were squeezed off the road by truckers who wanted to hit an off ramp at the last minute, had to lock up all 8 tires to avoid a colision with a semi, changed a lane because the semi to the left of us was distracted while eating his lunch, forced off the road to avoid a flatbed trailer that would have otherwise hit us, purposly blocked by a semi in a construction zone merge, forced to change lanes when a speeding truck comming from behind decided he deserved the lane more than we did in a "murder merge" in Wisconsin, endured tailgating and passes on double yellow zones because we were driving at the speed limit... The conditions on the road have gotten much worse in the past 15 years and these incidents (and many more) happened in each of the 27 states we traveled through. Interestingly we are in an economic downturn and there are fewer trucks and cars on the road but the hazards that the semis create (road gators, eratic driving, somnolent events, aggressive driving, etc) are increasing. Testing or no...meth has become a lethal problem on our hiways. Unfortunately, it is much more difficult for those of us who are towing to avoid the collisions with the semis. We saw signs for reporting aggressive drivers in only two states. Many more strategies and enforced rules for taking incompetent, drug impaired, aggressive drivers off the road are needed.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote