Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #41
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
There is no greater "JOY" to me than cruising down the highway in the company of a big rig ( or 2) with an experienced and professional driver. I put myself in that same catagory so that will make 3 of us cruising together. However, there are fewer and fewer of US on the roads. A couple of years ago I was driving a heavy duty tow truck. We had a truck impounded by the police in the yard for documents. When the paperwork was straightened out the truck was released and the driver came to me and asked me to turn it around for her. Our yard was not especially tight and average skills could easily manoever in it. I turned it around but couldn't believe an over-the-road driver that was not able to handle it. That's what we have pulling these big-rigs out there today, so BEWARE. Among the many capable and qualified truckers out there are these good, hard working people, with limited experience that we need to watch for.

Drive defensively and watch out for the other guy.

Merry Christmas and see ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
[onsoapbox] As an OTR (over the road) trucker for many years I'm dismayed by the average truck driver competence that I see on the roads today. A quick way to judge the competence of a truck driver is to observe his ability to stay centered in his lane because it's a direct indicator of skill and attention level. When I drove, as soon as I noticed that I wasn't staying centered in my lane it was time for me to pull over and get some rest. What I see on the highways these days indicates to me that there are mostly green and marginally competent drivers out there and you should make all efforts to stay out of close proximity to them because no good can ever come from rolling along in close quarters to them. Plus, if you've ever seen a 200 lb brake drum suddenly split apart and the cast iron pieces go bouncing down the road you won't like being close to a big truck ever again. Always do what you have to to keep the odds in your favor. [/onsoapbox]
Crusty,

Thanks for the great post. In college I spent my summers doing transfer driving for Ryder, I was trained by one of their over the road drivers and learned very quickly that there were two kinds of drivers "professional" over the road drivers and "crazy" local drivers and also learned very early on to be able to distinguish the two and to keep an extra measure of distance between my rig and the local driver. Sadly, as my recent road trip observations seem to indicate, the level of professionalism amongst over the road drivers has taken a big hit. Fortunately, I didn't have any problems with them, but I could see that there were a lot of accidents looking for a place to happen. So thank you for posting your views and confirming mine.

Stay safe out there,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Great information in the above post, however it is evident that a bad encounter often spills our emotions and they run onto innocent bystanders. For the most part the professional trucker is just that, and conducts himself in a very professional manner. When pulling my Airstream the overall length is over 50 feet and I try to act as a professional driver: signaling lane changes, avoiding quick maneuvers, and staying constantly aware of all surrounding vehicles. I find that some of the best company on the road is the professional trucker. He is aware of increased stopping distances as well as other cautions that must be observed while trailering. I know that they are human and some make mistakes and some are inconsiderate. Let us be kind and courteous so that when we arrive at our destination our blood pressure will be in check and no damage to physical being which cain't be replaced.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
I am the original poster! We (actually my wife) finally settled on our claim. She got a total of $28,300 for the trailer, which I think is just about what she was worth. That includes $1,800 in state tax that the insurance company refunded. It took almost two months and I bet the insurance adjustor is really glad to finish the claim. My wife is rather aggresive! I say good for her! Those Irish girls make good spouses! GMAC is the carrier. I would recommend them but I am yet to receive my bill for 2012. Now comes the look to replace her (the trailer - not my wife). Can't believe how far this post went.
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I hate to think what your new insurance bill is going to be. They will get "their" money back one way or the other. Glad it worked out ok for you in the end. Sounds like your wife is a keeper.
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Oh, phew - good luck on your hunt! We'll be looking forward to seeing what you find.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:16 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Ditto's Mhilley

Glad you got your claim settled to your liking.....Insurance companies are hard to deal with at times........Let us know what your new rig looks like !!! Safe travels !!!!

ole-red
ole-red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:36 AM   #48
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
I am the original poster! We (actually my wife) finally settled on our claim. She got a total of $28,300 for the trailer, which I think is just about what she was worth. That includes $1,800 in state tax that the insurance company refunded. It took almost two months and I bet the insurance adjustor is really glad to finish the claim. My wife is rather aggresive! I say good for her! Those Irish girls make good spouses! GMAC is the carrier. I would recommend them but I am yet to receive my bill for 2012. Now comes the look to replace her (the trailer - not my wife). Can't believe how far this post went.
Yeah, we got more than a little sidetracked above. Sure glad that this portion of your troubles is over, that you'll be able to take a breather. Hope you're feeling better as well.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:23 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
Quote:
I am glad that you got a favorable settlement and wish you good speed in finding another Airstream.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
So glad you got a decent settlement - now go SHOPPING for another one! Drool, dream, plan and anticipate. Glad to hear things are turning for the best. BTW there's a 20 ft Flying Cloud in the Classifieds.

Happy trails. Paula
Old 12-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
accident

I just caught up w your post. We had a very similar accident a couple yrs ago w another semi. We had a Reese w anti sway bars. They were good, to a point. We lost everything, trailer and SUV, but came out w minimal body damage, we did spend a great deal of time w chiropractor. We were not going to get into another 'stream but friends talked us into it and we are glad. We made one important investment, a Hensley hitch! Our lives are worth the investment. Good luck, stay safe.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
Getting in late here; after thought, remember, each state has an Insurance Commissioner, this person 's job is to (among other things) renew each Insurance companies license each year.
If your having trouble with your company a personal visit to the commissioner usually breaks up the log jamb quickly, they fear this person and don't want trouble with them....
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
But not nearly as much as "he" (the commissioner) fears losing that highly remunerative job or consulting position in the insurance industry after his stint in government.

Cynicism aside, I agree it is worth the trouble.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
But not nearly as much as "he" (the commissioner) fears losing that highly remunerative job or consulting position in the insurance industry after his stint in government.

Cynicism aside, I agree it is worth the trouble.
In the end and after much back and forth for two months my wife ended up getting more money than we paid for the trailer. In addition we got the state sales tax and $3000.00 for the contents. She discovered that we had checked off the box that says "fair replacement value" on the insurance application. She found several throught the country for sale, made copies, and sent the copy to the insurance company. The only very unfortunate happening is that she now refuses to tow an Airstream! How can I blame her?
mhilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Congratulations! on a (mostly) happy ending

Quote:
In the end and after much back and forth for two months my wife ended up getting more money than we paid for the trailer. In addition we got the state sales tax and $3000.00 for the contents. She discovered that we had checked off the box that says "fair replacement value" on the insurance application. She found several throught the country for sale, made copies, and sent the copy to the insurance company. The only very unfortunate happening is that she now refuses to tow an Airstream! How can I blame her?
Well - you can't blame her. Remember the observation that a cat, having jumped on a hot stove, will never jump on any stove again.

OK. We're done with that bit.

Let's hope that with time you will be able to recall the joy of your last best camping trips, take the lessons with you and leave the black cloud behind.

Good luck when you decide to find your next Airstream.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #56
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The only very unfortunate happening is that she now refuses to tow an Airstream!

Does not want to tow a trailer . . understood. But, as all other new trailers are verifiably, easily-understood-to-be-inferior (seriously so) to a new Airstream in regards performance parameters, a bit of emotional distance may be needed.

Personally, I'd much rather have a well-sorted high-end tow rig than pretty much any Class C.

Thanks for updating us, glad for the ending posted, and good luck.