Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhilley View Post
A month ago as my wife and I were travelling with our A/S a very large 18 wheeler bumped our trailer and put it into an oscillation which I was unable to control. It went over taking the tow vehicle with it. I had two anti-sway bars and a w/d hitch. My wife was uninjured but I had a broken vertabre in my back. I was in the hospital for 30 days! My question is "what was she worth?" It was a 20 ft 2006 Safari in immaculate condition. New tires, two new AGM batteries, brand new air conditioner, two newaluminum gas tanks, etc.. I think she was worth at least $25,000 but the insurance company says not. Here we go again! What do you think she was worth and how do I prove it?

Oh man...I'm so sorry. But I may be able to help a bit. We bought a used 2006 safari in superb condition in July of 2009 from Colonial in new Jersey.
As I recall we paid right about 25k. I'll dig out the paperwork if it will help you.

Hit me offline at wheelsucker@hotmail.com if you want more details.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
So sorry to hear about this...we are glad you are on the mend, Mike, and that Jan was not hurt...stick to your guns with the insurance claim, and use comparables to determine the value with them. It should be the responsibility of the trucker's insurance company and they will be harder to get to come around than your own, but you might get your own insurance company involved to help out...

Keep the faith!

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2000 23' Safari
Vero Beach , Florida
Forgot to mention that truck never stopped! Try to find him but 30 days had expired before I was out of hospital. Are already looking for our next A/S!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My beautiful Airstream is gone, gone, gone.

Greetings mhilley!

Quote:
Forgot to mention that truck never stopped! Try to find him but 30 days had expired before I was out of hospital. Are already looking for our next A/S!
So good to hear that your recovery is progressing well, and that you will be continuing to Airstream!

I was hoping that your encounter wasn't with a rogue trucker. It seems that I am seeing more erratically driven semis every time that I travel the Interstate near my home. My closest encounter was last winter while driving my car at night when a rouge trucker passed myself and the car ahead of me (we were traveling the speed limit) -- immediately upon pulling into the lane ahead of us, he turned on several high candle power rear facing lights in an attempt to blind the drivers behind him . . . we were very fortunate that no accident resulted but it was a scare just the same. I am to the point that I start looking for escape routes whenever I see a semi looming in my rear view mirror.

I hope that your recovery is complete and speed; and that you will be out enjoying Airstreaming in a very short period of time!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
he turned on several high candle power rear facing lights in an attempt to blind the drivers behind him . . . we were very fortunate that no accident resulted but it was a scare just the same. I am to the point that I start looking for escape routes whenever I see a semi looming in my rear view mirror.
He might have been giving you a "thanks" if you blinked your lights when he came past, and spaced turning them off. We travel all the time, and believe me, the 18 wheelers are 99% courtesy, as we are blinking the high beams when they come flying by.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
My beautiful Airstream is gone, gone, gone.

Greetings Mike Leary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
He might have been giving you a "thanks" if you blinked your lights when he came past, and spaced turning them off. We travel all the time, and believe me, the 18 wheelers are 99% courtesy, as we are blinking the high beams when they come flying by.
I wish that I could believe that it was an oversight, but it was obviously meant as a threat. He braked as soon as he pulled in front of the car ahead of me (about 4 car lengths) then turned the lights on . . . leaving them on for more than 2 miles. When he passed me, he was traveling at least 15 to 20 MPH faster than I placing him more than 15 MPH over the speed limit. When he had slowed to 50 MPH, he immediately sped away and turned his lights off (including his tail lights). Just wish that I had thought to call five miles ahead to the State Police weigh station to report the incident -- I was at my exit and was quite relieved to leave the Interstate. In the past ten years, I (or my family) have had four encounters with rouge truckers (three in this same vicinity) -- fortunately, only one resulted in an accident (property damage only, my mother and her sister wer uninjured, but her nearly new car was totaled).

Kevin

P.S.: Three of these four incidents happened within five miles of the Interstate 57 and Interstate 24 interchange in Southern Illinois. Each incident was late at night (after 11:00 PM). The incident that I related began about 5 miles South of the interchange while we were traveling North. One of the arguments for dropping Illinois' 10 MPH reduction in speed limits for heavy trucks and vehicles towing trailers was that it would decrease the likelihood of incidents such as this, but I am not convinced . . . this last occurrence was several months after the speed limit change.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Mike Leary!

I wish that I could believe that it was an oversight, but it was obviously meant as a threat.
He could have had wiring problems, but that was no excuse. I've gotten on the horn many times when the big boys failed to maintain their rigs or stayed on the road too long.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I had my AS appraised the professional appraiser, also a forums member, made up a folder using prints of Ebay listings.

NADA also has a RV price book.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
insurance claims

Quote:
A month ago as my wife and I were travelling with our A/S a very large 18 wheeler bumped our trailer and put it into an oscillation which I was unable to control. It went over taking the tow vehicle with it. I had two anti-sway bars and a w/d hitch. My wife was uninjured but I had a broken vertabre in my back. I was in the hospital for 30 days! My question is "what was she worth?" It was a 20 ft 2006 Safari in immaculate condition. New tires, two new AGM batteries, brand new air conditioner, two newaluminum gas tanks, etc.. I think she was worth at least $25,000 but the insurance company says not. Here we go again! What do you think she was worth and how do I prove it?
Ouch, hope you'll be ok. Claims agents aren't always right, gather real data with recently sold units and units available and present that info to the claims person. If they dig in, ask why, could be your policy, could be they are clueless, ask them to provide at least three local (50 miles) locations you can buy one, with tax, tag transfer, etc., you may be able to push the issue depending on your state insurance laws.

Good Luck
Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Nada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
When I had my AS appraised the professional appraiser, also a forums member, made up a folder using prints of Ebay listings.

NADA also has a RV price book.
NADA is useless for an airstream, I sold my 76 Argosy for $8500 , it shows $800 for a 77 Safari 23.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
These guys are putting hi-candlepower in the cab reverse lamp position (docking lights). I see this crap too. I haven't had this in a while (first time I thought it was a mistake), but next time I'm gettin' on the CB to broadcast truck description/trailer license far & wide. And calling the Smokies to report reckless endangerment if they come near to sideswiping me. I use the flasher unit in the trucks I drive to say thanks. Otherwise, the "thanks" is only a switch (cutout) on the clearance lamps. Reverse or docking lamps not affected. Once, a mistake . . more than once (and seen it a half-dozen times) it's a bad learned behavior.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
These guys are putting hi-candlepower in the cab reverse lamp position (docking lights). I see this crap too. I haven't had this in a while (first time I thought it was a mistake), but next time I'm gettin' on the CB to broadcast truck description/trailer license far & wide. And calling the Smokies to report reckless endangerment if they come near to sideswiping me. I use the flasher unit in the trucks I drive to say thanks. Otherwise, the "thanks" is only a switch (cutout) on the clearance lamps. Reverse or docking lamps not affected. Once, a mistake . . more than once (and seen it a half-dozen times) it's a bad learned behavior.
I've only used my OnStar twice since I bought my Silverado in 2008. Both times were to call for assistance from a State trooper because I was being harassed by a rogue trucker. Once I was towing the Airstream. I was on an interstate and was harassed by a trucker pulling a trailer for over 20 miles. It was almost 15 minutes before I remembered the On-Star button. I saw the trooper making a U-Turn to come into the northbound lane. The truck driver must have hit 90 to get out of range before the trooper could complete the turn and merge into traffic. I pulled over and gave a statement to the trooper who said they'd had numerous complaints about this same rig - and the plates and DOT numbers were all fake.

I felt like I'd wandered into a Hitchcock movie or the Twilight Zone. Totally creeped out, I changed my whole route. Don't know if they ever caught him.

The second time - it was the backup light thing that lasted for about 2 minutes.

There are some scarey people out there.

(and also some great ones, so focus on the positive)

Paula
Paula
Old 12-10-2011, 06:20 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
This is a good reminder for all of us to review our insurance coverage. "Agreed value insurance" might be a good choice for Airstream owners since book values are so low.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Truck drivers on the road these days

[onsoapbox] As an OTR (over the road) trucker for many years I'm dismayed by the average truck driver competence that I see on the roads today. A quick way to judge the competence of a truck driver is to observe his ability to stay centered in his lane because it's a direct indicator of skill and attention level. When I drove, as soon as I noticed that I wasn't staying centered in my lane it was time for me to pull over and get some rest. What I see on the highways these days indicates to me that there are mostly green and marginally competent drivers out there and you should make all efforts to stay out of close proximity to them because no good can ever come from rolling along in close quarters to them. Plus, if you've ever seen a 200 lb brake drum suddenly split apart and the cast iron pieces go bouncing down the road you won't like being close to a big truck ever again. Always do what you have to to keep the odds in your favor. [/onsoapbox]

Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote