Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
My all girl adventure Blue Lakes California

Hi all,
I did an outing without hubby and took our Tin Hut. My mom, daughter, and my mom's little adoptee. Heading for Blue Lakes and had never been there before even though I live an hour away. Wanted to do some hiking also. Sent my mom and rest on ahead to scout out a spot for the trailer. One short thought, was I should have fired up the walkie talkies. Anyway, I headed on up and went into the camping areas. So I'm hauling this trailer heading up and around these lakes. I don't know the camping grounds and they look very tight. I am not a backer upper at all. I had to stop and ask people if sooner or later I was going to be able to turn around sometime. Assured that eventually I will be able to do just that. Went all the way to the end til 4 wheel drive roads and the last campground was the most promising for a trailer, but I did not see the rest of my party. So I went back to the gate. Did have to put the truck in 4WD once to get up a hill. So I went the other direction and got down in a spot that was a tight turnaround. I think they need a sign that says no trailers beyond this point. YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! So saw no one and then I just sat at the road waiting for the posse. They finally showed up and they found a spot down the road. Good!!!!!!! Cause I don't think I saw anything in the campgrounds that I could handle.
The road they found for me to navigate was tight, real tight. I have a wide body trailer. Tight gate, go slowly between tree on one side and rock on the other. And then had to do a tight turn into our camp choice. Good thing I have just a 22FTer.
Spent 2 nights out in a very pretty area and then had to go back out home. Tight squeeze but had mom check to see if that gate would open wider which it did. So got home and as I was coming into our yard to proceed to the back my husband said "stop stop!!!!!!" He was concerned I was cutting it too close to go around our other truck parked in the yard. Gee!!!!!!!!! no sweat!!!!!!!!!
If only he had any idea where Tin Hut had been the last few days, he would lay an egg!!!!!!!!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Now that's neat. zz

Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Good for you. I really need to start practicing so I can do this too. Times like this I wish it was 22'
Old 09-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I doubt I coulda got my truck by itself out of that spot you were in, you go girl! Oh did you happen to do any fishing up there? Some real interesting inclusions in the rocks on that slope by the lake.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Good for you. I have been doing the back up to hook up the hensley. Hubby is better at directing than I am, so this is working for us. Also I have been backing into the space next to our house. Takes sometime, but I am getting it in pretty good.
Keep it up.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1997 21' Excella
Carson City , Nevada
When I got home I was going to back it up to it's parking position but my hubby thought I would ruin the transmission before I ever got it parked. So he took over. I will figger it out someday.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Yes you will, and more power to you. Susan