Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2018, 03:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
My 5,500 Miles Round Trip VA-CA-VA

Got my new to me 2008 Safari 25 from London, Ontario in February and could not wait to take it on a trip. Before doing so, I wanted to added everything under the sun to it to make it mine. Had Solar Panels, belt line trim, acrylic guards on the front added. Got home to Virginia and decided I needed a back-up camera since I didn’t know what sites I would get during my travels. I did not like the flooring, so replaced it with vinyl peel and stick planks. Cut the credenza and made a small cabinet for cups and plates, and placed a chair in front of the cabinet for extra seating. Got all kinds of things and I started to think this is getting expensive and I haven’t even started on my trip.

In April, BMW X5, Safari, two dogs, and I hit the road to San Diego. Took I-81 where one gentleman in his red pick-up pulling an Airstream was going the opposite direction flashed his lights which was really nice. Headed onto 40W and that was something else. This road from Tennessee to California really sucks. There were times when I thought there was something wrong with my tires or tow vehicle and it was the road. In Arkansas there was a crash that shut down 40W. I encountered the craziest wind storm during my drive from Oklahoma to New Mexico. I thought my sway bars were off or one of the pins had come off as I was getting whipped around. Then I noticed the 18 wheelers/semis were doing the same and realised it was windy. The first rest stop I was able to stop at was in New Mexico and I parked in between two semis, dropped the stabilizing jacks and the Airstream was still rocking like a boat in a storm. Found out there was a wind warning (60-70 mph without the gusts) which was in effect for three days. Travelled a little further and stopped for the night still in New Mexico. Next morning after checking my tyres and taking to a tyre shop because one was low, found out I had a nail in it.

Made it safely to San Diego in four and half days. Stayed in Camp Pendleton and also at Seal Beach. At Pendleton and all Military facilities, one can only stay for two weeks and then have to rotate to another site which I did not mind doing. However, when I had the boondocking site, low and behold the Solar Panel didn’t work. So no power, no ……. Me pissed off and regretting having the Airstream since I was boasting about being able to be off grid.

Mid-June, I started to head back to Virginia. Took 40E coming from Irvine through San Bernardino and after eight hours, I had only completed 200 miles. I wondered why I didn’t take I-8. Oh, I was trying to avoid the hills only to climb part of the Rockies through the Mohave Desert during a heat wave. Cars and trucks dropping like flies due to overheating and I am chugging along till I get to Kingman, Arizona and my coolant low light comes on. It is 2:00AM and I cannot find the camp ground, this light is on, I have been on the road since 10:00AM, and now all the hotels are booked. The one I get which accepts dogs after taxes is $200.00.

Next day, find the camp ground and check in. The only person who works on foreign cars are closed Saturday and Sunday. Monday, bring the X5 in and the cap to the reservoir is not closing / sealing properly. Have to order a new one. Next day, part comes in and after a test, I have a crack in my reservoir so when the coolant heats up and goes in there it leaks out. They have to order a new reservoir. They tested the car and made sure everything was fine. They were really great. Never thought I would stay in Kingman for a week.

I was going to take my time and only drive 300-340 miles a day rather than 700-800 miles a day and it was not going according to plan. Unbearable heatwave makes it so unpleasant. Now I know why I like driving at night, it is cooler and no traffic. Continued driving back East and just missed San Diego weather. Tennessee was so humid and full of bugs. It poured in and the camp ground lost power a few times. I had a leak when my AC was on during the rain. Got to Bristol, TN and I went over the yellow road paint. The left front side of the Airstream was yellow, my Navy blue car was yellow from the 2 tyres, sides, wheel well to the under belly. I looked like a partial yellow cab.

Got back safely with the dogs and looking forward to going out again. At the moment, Airstream is in London, Ontario and will be going back to get her next week hopefully.

P.S. Stayed in KOAs on my way to California and back. Really liked all of them except the one at the Grand Old Opry. Stuck me in a smaller lot than could accommodate my Airstream and TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	435.0 KB
ID:	321934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3681.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	321935  

Name:	IMG_3629.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	418.9 KB
ID:	321936   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	321937  

Name:	IMG_1447.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	321938  
romaa.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Wow, sounds like an epic first trip!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Old 09-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpsgolf View Post
Wow, sounds like an epic first trip!

Congrats on your purchase and welcome!
Thank you.

With all the crazy stuff, I am looking forward to going on another trip. This time it will be a well planned trip even if it is going back to San Diego. Roads to avoid, shorter daily drive, and camps booked in advance.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by romaa.13 View Post
Thank you.

With all the crazy stuff, I am looking forward to going on another trip. This time it will be a well planned trip even if it is going back to San Diego. Roads to avoid, shorter daily drive, and camps booked in advance.

Suggest avoid any road that has an "I", arrive by 4:00 and never book a campsite more than a day before you arrive.

80,000 miles and 10 years of our travels, always the best trips are the most 'unplanned'
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:56 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Cumberland , Maryland
That's the spirit, get on back out there!
Thanks for the story, we hope to head that way soon.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:12 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Hi neighbor! I'm looking forward to the days when we can make trips like that.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
→ #1. Thank you for anecdoting your experience towing a flagship RV with a BMW X5. Your adventure reminds me of my parents’ descriptions of towing a 24’ AS Tradewind with their Plymouth Fury to Alaska when the '64 earthquake shook Anchorage. Enjoy your travels.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I enjoyed reading about your big trip. That was quite an accomplishment for a first major trip. Now that that trip is history, your next trips should be much easier. Of course from my motorcycling days, the most memorable trips are when stuff happens and you have to deal with it. Hey, that’s life!

Like others have said, don’t plan too much. We tend to camp without reservations and prefer dry camping. If we are going to an area where you need reservations we make them, but if not then we don’t. Try some of the National Forest Campgrounds and Corps of Engineer Campgrounds. If dry camping no reservations needed.

Welcome to the insanity. This is a great group of people who enjoy their Airstreams and camping.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Rockaway , New Jersey
wowza

That is the kind of story that gets my juices flowing for my 2019 summer adventure - which will be my first!

well done - love the attitude!
Tomfeury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Thanks for sharing the pros and cons of your trip. When you travel there is always a story to tell and I enjoyed yours!
Hans627 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Will do and try different routes so I can see more of the country. I was in hurry as my daughter was about to have a baby and her husband was doing work ups before deploying.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:31 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
That's the spirit, get on back out there!
Thanks for the story, we hope to head that way soon.
You will love it. I can't wait to go again to a different part of the country.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Woodbridge , Virginia
Now when I am driving around, I look at people's houses to see who has an Airstream parked at their house and wonder if it might be you.
Old 09-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
Your first trip sounded awesome. I don't think I've ever been over the plains without gale force winds! Yup, that heat around Mohave is brutal! I think you missed the hardest towing stretch that I've ever been on - from Death Valley to Mt. Whitney in California. The winds were blowing so hard they had to plow the sand off the road! The heat was so bad signs said to turn off the A/C! The mountain passes were so steep that I had to use 2nd gear for miles! I can't wait to go do that pass again!

You have the right sense of adventure to own an Airstream! See you on the road.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote