Old 08-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Much appreciated, but I can backup just fine.

Vocabulary expansion is always a side effect of doing anything difficult or technical.

Trust me, solving tough computer problems in a big hurry expands the heck out of your vocabulary....and occasionally blisters paint😀😀

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums

'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I have had men ask me if I want them to back my trailer in. I assume it's because I'm a woman, because I don't think they would ask a man if he wants them to back his trailer in.... I kindly refuse their help & back that baby in. No problemo :-) They usually give me kudos after they witness what they thought would be an entertaining time, but was rather quick & uneventful!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:05 PM   #45
Rivet Master
2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have a high-visibility reflective vest like construction workers wear stashed in each of my vehicles. I carry them in case I have to change a tire by the side of the road ..... In the event that I ever need help backing up (not likely with my Interstate unless I arrive after dark, but you never know), I'll make my helper wear one of those vests to help me keep track of where they are.
This made me LOL (not the coworkers injury, of course).

I'd hand them a big, yellow toy whistle, too.

PS. Has a stranger helper ever actually put it on?
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #46
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

What do your Ocular migraines look like? Mine look like tiny vertical prisms refracting the light.

I did have a TIA about 10 years ago. My wife called 911 and I thought she was crazy. About 2 mins later, I was totally fine and telling her to cancel the response. However, luckily for me, she refused and off I went to the hospital. A couple hours later, I found out my left carotid was 95% blocked, and found myself in surgery getting it cleaned out about an hour after that. Surprisingly, I learned to listen to Susan.

Hi Ken,

Hard to describe, generally starts as a small area in the centre of my field of vision with zig-zag scintillating multicoloured lines. The small area gradually grows to cover most of my field of vision, stays for a few minutes then slowly retracts - usually all cleared up and back to normal in 20 minutes.

Then the headache would set in - usually severe and with me for the rest of the day!

These days, I still get the visual aura now and then but either no headache following or a quite mild one lasting a few hours.

I have been told this is an age related thing as the arteries cannot dilate as much as they did when younger - and supposedly that is what contributes to the headache.

Also in more recent years I seem to be finding that the aura starts more to the left of my field of vision and extends curved branches out across.

I see it in both eyes and also whether or not my eyes are open - it is quite a dramatic light show when my eyes are shut!

Certainly I cannot read nor drive when it happens. I have had to pull off teh road a few times when I knew an episode was beginning.

Luckily my tests for TIA came out ok, the woman doing the carotid artery test told me "You have the pipes of a 40 yr old!" (I'm 73) Of course I said "Well I ain't givin 'em back!"

PS - as for backing trailers, I have finally managed to convince my wife that she needs to always be able to see our truck mirrors so she will know I can see her - it only took a few years!

Now, I'm working on the next stage to convince her she must push the "Press to talk button" on the GMRS radio before trying to talk to me! So frustrating to see her in the mirror chatting away into the damn thing and hearing nada!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #47
Past Prez.NEU/Membership
2005 34' Classic
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
We were camping in the Finger Lake region of NY. State Park. The site was fairly large but the entrance was real tight. As usual I got out of the TV and scouted out the site. With DW and dear daughter on either side started to back in. Actually the moment I got back in the TV other SOB campers started to form a crowd- and I could clearly hear them saying- he will never make it in- should he (me) get another site - can we help you etc. They were totally ignoring my spotters (of course as they are not men). They kept on saying- he will never make it.

We of course had our best reverse job and made it in in one pass. Then the crowd started to mumble- its those Airstream and they tow well, must be the fancy hitch (Hensley) etc. I just smiled. Always trust your wife and daughter as they have done this a 100 times before.

T & Gail
2015 Airstream Interstate Ext
2005 34'Classic- Mercury (Goddess of Travel)
2004 Yukon Denali
, 2016 GMC 2500 Denali-Duramax Diesel

AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 PM   #48
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I have a high-visibility reflective vest like construction workers wear stashed in each of my vehicles. I carry them in case I have to change a tire by the side of the road— ever since a coworker was struck by a car and crippled for life on I-20 near the Tyler, TX exit. But the point is…

In the event that I ever need help backing up (not likely with my Interstate unless I arrive after dark, but you never know), I'll make my helper wear one of those vests to help me keep track of where they are.
When I tow I wear a high-vis running shirt. I have had some issues on the road, everything from a blow out to a kid who had to go...

I figure if I already have it on, its one less thing to worry about.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #49
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
PS. Has a stranger helper ever actually put it on?
No. Because so far I've done all of my backing solo. No stranger helpers (yet). Backing an Interstate and toad is simple because you disconnect first and then back up, not the other way around like with a trailer, and that really cuts down on the number of spectators and kibitzers.

They do seem endlessly fascinated when I hitch up the toad, though…

For the record, when I was working for a living I had a collateral duty as a safety coordinator, and the notion that everyone standing, walking, or working in the vicinity of a moving vehicle on the job site had to wear a high-vis vest was drummed into our heads by the safety chief. And in all fairness, not one person wearing a high-vis vest was ever hit by a moving vehicle on any of our job sites. Whether the vests helped the drivers see the pedestrians, or the act of putting on the vest made the pedestrians more aware of the danger, I really can't say. But they worked, and that's what mattered.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote