Old 08-19-2016, 09:16 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
What do your Ocular migraines look like? Mine look like tiny vertical prisms refracting the light.
Mine look like irregular blobs that glow in some indescribable color right in the center of my field of vision— kind of like a bright reflection of the macular region of my retinas, in fact. I didn't even realize that they were migraines until my ophthalmologist told me. They're caused by over-stimulation of my optic nerves.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Mine look like rainbows and lolly pops. Oh wait, maybe that is just the flashbacks they promised us.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I'm tickled that a man brought this up....as a 5'4" blonde woman, I had leaned toward blaming sexism for the multitude of "help" offers as I back in to a new site. The funniest occurred in an ancient park on Florida's East Coast: I pulled up and before I could even get out of my Jeep to check the space, I had 4 men--all clearly at least in their 8th decade--gathered around contradicting each other in giving me "essential advice". I thanked them, said I could manage...but they were not to be deterred. Two more mosied up, and all six were at my windows loudly giving conflicting advice. I so wished I could have videotaped the scene. In the end I rolled up all my windows and slid in smoothly. Show over, my helpers ambled away in disappointment.

Great story, I can so clearly see it!
Old 08-19-2016, 09:43 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I guess backing the farm implements of different shapes,combinations and sizes over the years was useful training for the Airstream rigs today..
Right! Nothing prepares you for backing up an Airstream like having to learn at a young age how to reverse with a baler and wagon together.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:57 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I figure it never hurts to have someone watch any possible contact points. But I back in the way I want. Most people are just being neighborly. And if they have a boating background we all take a hand grabbing dock lines. It just makes things easier and safer as people do not have to jump down. Generally though it seems to me that people are just being friendly and a little help is a good conversation starter.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:06 PM   #34
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyV View Post
I figure it never hurts to have someone watch any possible contact points. But I back in the way I want. Most people are just being neighborly. And if they have a boating background we all take a hand grabbing dock lines. It just makes things easier and safer as people do not have to jump down. Generally though it seems to me that people are just being friendly and a little help is a good conversation starter.
There seems to be some variance in the tone of conversation started, however.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 07:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my biggest problem with backing up my trailer is that I want everything perfectly lined up. As for my wife helping, I must see her in my mirror or I stop. I only want three signals from her; Point in the direction that you want my trailer to go and hand up to stop. Too many signals equals confusion. I can't wait for the first time backing into a space with my new back-up camera.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
The backup camera doesn't help me much. I guess I just don't trust it. Also, I too only like 3 signals.

I have not unhitched my trailer for 2 trips and likley won't unhitch when I get home, then out again in two weeks and won't unhitch then. Then if I did unhitch, I have s Propride so that takes some strategy. I don't think anybody realizes this.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I have a backup camera with grid-lines and distance-markers displayed, and I can back up to within 10-12" of any object with regular accuracy.
Whenever someone jumps in to help me, I generally ask them to just warn me of overhead objects and hold up the number of fingers that represent
"feet" to any object. (That way they're kept busy while I disregard them.)

It is important to walk back there in the beginning and look up/down/all-around before backing tho'.

I've also come to the conclusion Dr's and hospitals will look at your insurance policy and then run each and every test it will pay for.... regardless of whether it has anything to do with the cure. They simply "harvest" whatever fees that can have even a remote relevance to the presented symptoms.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Fresno , California
I am not so macho that I claim to not need or want help. My wife is the best when it comes to helping. She lets me know when I have backed far enough and when we have reached the best point for hook ups. She enjoys helping and I appreciate her concerns and advise.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #39
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
you guys that want your wife to help you are doing it all wrong.

My method is to be sure my wife doesn't hit anything while she's backing the rv in.

It works great because she is very good at backing in a trailer, but not very good at giving directions that I understand.

Ken
Old 08-20-2016, 11:47 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
So far I haven't given the wheel to my wife when we're headed down the road. And so far, she doesn't seem to mind. But when it's time to park, it's her turn. I give directions while she backs in. She follows my directions so closely she doesn't even need to look out the window.

When we showed up at our church camp last month, contrary to every other story here, the guy who jumped in to help out clearly had more expertise than me and was giving better directions. I quickly moved to the back corner of the trailer to watch for clearance and kept my mouth shut. Unfortunately, another guy with a bigger voice and a smaller brain jumped in and took over. ARGH!

You win some, you lose some. But we got settled at last.
(Is there no respect for an 8-ton CGVWR truck? *sniff* )
Alluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:00 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
funny but true

This summer I went to the Smokies and was led to my campsite by the owner in a cart. Then the "fun" started, the guy says follow me and I pulled past the site, that I thought was easy to get into. Well I'm not gonna argue with the guy (and that isn't usually me if I'm in "a mood" So what happened next was amazing to me at least, he's like "turn your wheel three times clockwise and back up 5 feet, stop, straighten your wheel l and back up 10 ft, stop, turn you wheel two times counter clockwise and back up 8 feet, stop and so on..... I'll be damned but without a doubt he had me on the spot perfect. I am fully capable, and did not resist (been know to leave a place with valet parking) and was awe stuck by his precision.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Chillicothe , Ohio
Plumbing and backing a trailer with unsolicited help tend to foul my language skills. When I was younger and undertaking a plumbing issue in our home, my wife would send the boys outside with the phrase "go play,Daddy is going to do some plumbing" ... today they laugh when sharing the memory.
We will see if I've improved in another few days when we take delivery our our brand new 2017 AS FC.

2017 27FB FC