Old 06-20-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
Mt. Rushmore tips needed

planning our first trip to Mt. Rushmore from Minnesota via I-90. Probably stop at/near mitchell first day. Wondering best place for our 27FB. Would love not being crowded in right next to others. Need elect, water, sewer great but a dump station will work. A pool for the kids is nice but not mandatory. Have heard of Rafter J Bar? Welikeit? Custer state park. Anyone had a really great experience? We expect to stick around for 4 or 5 days id guess to see all the stuff. Ive done a lot of searches but its really hard to get a read on which places might be best. Someone did say if you plan to see devils tower and hang there for a bit to stay at the DT KOA. Any other tips? Planing on later in August after the sturgis crowds die down a bit. Thanks

Old 06-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Badlands was my highlight

There is a forty mile road that starts and ends on route 90. It goes through Badlands. ( don't bring a trailer, as it is hilly ) I think that I enjoyed that more than Mount Rushmore. I should warn you that it was almost winter when I was there. It might be real hot in August.
The road takes you high above Badlands for a spectacular view.
It's like you are on some other planet than earth.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Other than the Sturgis Harley rally there is a lot of space in the campgrounds on federal land in the Black Hills.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Spearfish City Campground

We stayed at the Spearfish, SD city campground last year and had a wonderful time. The campground is located right at the edge of town and within walking distance to many things to see and do. All sites are full hookup and the price is very reasonable.You are about a 1.5 hour drive to both Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower. If going to Devils Tower would suggest going up hwy 85 toward Belle Foruche then hwy 24 to Devil's Tower. This is a great scenic route. Spearfish also puts you close to Deadwood and Hill City. Both of these towns are located in the Black Hills National Forest. Don't forget to take a ride on the Black Hills Central Railroad when visiting Hill City. If you get a chance visit the Opera House in Spearfish, great local talent perform various plays and musicals year round. You may need to plan more than 4 - 5 days.
Have a wonderful trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6220016.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	621.5 KB
ID:	82690  
Old 06-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you take the trailer to the site do not take it up to the parking lot. I got my 34 up there and got up front BUS PARKING but had questions about getting it down.

If you are interested in fossils the is a great sink hole with hundreds in it about 75 miles south of Rushmore.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
HIGHLY recommend not to go the week before and during the Sturgis Bike Rally. What's nice about Whispering Pines Campground is that it is central located to all the sites.

http://www.blackhillscampresort.com/
Old 06-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
HIGHLY recommend not to go the week before and during the Sturgis Bike Rally.
Aw...come on now...that is when it is the most fun .

"TomCat" and ThunderCat" in Two Harbors, MN...what is it they say..."If I have to explain...you just won't understand
Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Aw...come on now...that is when it is the most fun .

"TomCat" and ThunderCat" in Two Harbors, MN...what is it they say..."If I have to explain...you just won't understand
Had great times on the Harley many times during the Sturgis Rally. One year we where at Crazy Horse, left at 4:00 pm, took us over 4 hours to get to our tents at Buffalo Chip Campground.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randjg1 View Post
.... Probably stop at/near mitchell first day.
Sounds like a great trip! We've stayed overnight in Mitchell a couple of times. The Cabela's in Mitchell has nice RV parking for an overnight sans hookups. The KOA is outside of town and located in a pretty nice setting. It's a decent KOA. We've stayed at Rondee's. It's right by the interstate. Very close together sites. They are associated with an on-site hotel. WiFi was weak (really the hotel's). Had to pay the "water park" price just to use the pool! Close to Cabelas, but not walking distance. Would not go there again.
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you find yourself thinking about staying overnight in Newcastle WY I would keep going. The few RV parks there are nasty gravel parking lots. We stayed in a place called the Fountain. I felt like I was in a Steven King movie.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Don't forget to stop by Al's Oasis for lunch or dinner.

Als Oasis The One Stop Family Shop on I-90
Old 06-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
rafter j bar

Has anyone stayed there? it looks like a pretty good place. Somehow I think someone reccommended it but now i forget. Looking to fit a 27FB and neededing water and electric. Sewer great but dump ok. Anyone? thanks
Old 06-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Several years ago we stayed at the Hart Ranch RV just south of Rapid City,S.D. This is an excellent park with a large pool and hot tubs. A great place to make those side trips to Devils Tower, The Badland, Rushmore, and Custers State Park. You want be regret the selection. I believe that it is rated 5 stars.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Lazy J

We have been staying at the Lazy J since May 28th and will be here until July 11th. It's got a pretty transient population and a GREAT view of the city. It's easy access to almost everything. On HWY 16 south a few miles north of Hart Ranch. I think you have to be a member to stay at Hart Ranch. We are still touring the attractions. Has FHU and an outdoor pool. Rapid City has a lot to see and do. Will take more than a few days to see it all. Hope you have a great time. If you have kids with you, be sure to go to Storybook Island. They will love it. We went and took a bunch of pics. Some or our pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/billanlyn
Bill