Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Spearfish Canyon is one of our favorite drives as well and whenever we get in Black Hills Country, we make sure to plan for Spearfish. One recent year the area was in drought and the burbling Spearfish Creek was silent-sad. I look forward to a next time, more dancing water and high rock walls. It's funny how we have "favorites" or "dates" all over the country, places we have to revisit, like a favorite book. Another for us is the National Wildlife Museum outside of Jackson, WY. Built into the hillside, it resembles nothing so much as a natural rock outcropping, and inside is an insanely wonderful series of Gallery rooms. We never tire of revisiting this place. We'll drive across half of Wyoming whenever we get there again for a "lunch date" at the Wildlife Museum, feasting outdoors on delicious lunch sandwiches with icey tea, overlooking the river valley and elk preserve. Priceless. We hope many of you enjoy these treasures this summer. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #22
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think it was the Bay Leaf Cafe we went to for lunch on two different trips. I have to admit on the 2nd trip my in-laws were a bit confused by all the healthy food.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Minnetonka , Minnesota
wow awesome ideas and insights. we booked a lengthy stay at rafter j bar. web site looks good. seems like a top notch place and a local friend reccomended it so glad to see it turn up here too. So many ideas listed as well. That will be awesome we hope to fill 10 days or so in the area. I'll want to hit devils tower. Though maybe a day trip. So anxious to go for a while and in the new rig and tv. So much more room than the bambi. Tho I'll miss her. Thanks everyone. Will be keeping my eyes peeled for other airstreams along the way. Can t wait.
Randjg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
yah know...such great ideas, was wondering about worthy stops along the way. Like we plan to stay over at the mitchell koa, hit the corn palace. Should we plan on wall drug? any other worthy stops with a trailer in tow along I-90?
Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
In Mitchell the city campground at Lake Mitchell is a very nice well run campground. In the Black Hills area Pactola Lake campground west of Rapid City is nice. We camped there every year for ten years during the rally. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:56 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Minnetonka , Minnesota
from rushmore on to yellowstone

If we were to go from the black hills on to yellowstone. Is it a mountainous trip for trailer hauling? Not sure Im up for that just yet as I get the hang on our 28 footer. Has anyone made the trip and can pass along the best route? Thanks
Old 07-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randjg1 View Post
If we were to go from the black hills on to yellowstone. Is it a mountainous trip for trailer hauling? Not sure Im up for that just yet as I get the hang on our 28 footer. Has anyone made the trip and can pass along the best route? Thanks
I don't have my atlas handy but the terrain should be pretty gentle. Consider a stop at Devil's Tower on the way. There is one good pull in Yellowstone but otherwise no major climbs. Lots of turns and hills though.