Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Overkill engineering department carries 8 cones that get put all around the trailer and TV as a deterrent to others getting even close to the rig. DW insists on this...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #22
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
~ One time some lady pulled right in front of me blocking my exit. When I asked her to let me out by backing up she acted like she had just landed from another planet. I guess it takes all kinds.
guskmg
I firmly believe folks who do the blocking do so on purpose. It's just the meanness coming out in some folks. They surely cannot be THAT stupid they aren't doing anything wrong. I make my convictions based on experirnce: every time I've been blocked on the front end, a scope of the parking lot says the blocker could have parked in any number of available spaces... Including one ot two to their right or in the next aisle.
😡😤🤬😜
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Hanford , California
"They surely cannot be THAT stupid they aren't doing anything wrong."

Yes they can.
StreaminGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGeo View Post
"They surely cannot be THAT stupid they aren't doing anything wrong."

Yes they can.
The median IQ is still 100...

There are plenty of people who are that clueless. They just don't have the experience with why you parked like you did (if they're dumb), or the foresight to deduce the reason.

They are also the ones that add on an additional parking spot at the end of a row because it was too far to walk from the back of the lot. They then look at you weird when you can't negotiate the turn at the end of the row. (You should be a better driver, and make the turn anyway)

There are also the tools who will park there out of spite. (The ones I wish I had my valve stem remover with me)
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
We stopped for groceries in upstate NY last year and had a note on our window about having to take up 11 spaces. Oh well, gotta do what we gotta do with a 30' Airstream. And we were as far out as we could have been.
Our truck and AS Classic 30 is 54 ft long. It is the same length and width as a small semi. Two parking spaces , end to end , are 40ft more or less depending upon the parking lot.

Since we have to pull in and park 90 degrees to the parking plan we block a lot of spaces and always pull into the last one so we can turn and exit without being blocked by a less than thought-full other car. Park WAY out in the less popular spaces.

Eleven spaces complaints? There's always somebody that won't like it. No matter what it is.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Overkill engineering department carries 8 cones that get put all around the trailer and TV as a deterrent to others getting even close to the rig. DW insists on this...
Actually a good idea. Take a que from the phone company. They have to put cones fore and aft of the truck. For different reasons of course.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 03:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Looks like 6 or 7 spots I get the front end of the truck in there so I can possibly pull right out if a doofus parks in that spot in front of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_141445_resized.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	345435  

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2005 33' Land Yacht Gas 33
pembroke pines , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Dogs cats and kids love me. Adults almost never.
I always have said that kids and dogs love me, but women dont have much use for me.
normandgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #29
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
The median IQ is still 100...

There are plenty of people who are that clueless. They just don't have the experience with why you parked like you did (if they're dumb), or the foresight to deduce the reason.

They are also the ones that add on an additional parking spot at the end of a row because it was too far to walk from the back of the lot. They then look at you weird when you can't negotiate the turn at the end of the row. (You should be a better driver, and make the turn anyway)

There are also the tools who will park there out of spite. (The ones I wish I had my valve stem remover with me)
Well, I guess we'll just have to keep tolerating them and trying to think for them. I would never think of a valve stem remover... HAHA I'd just get caught. 😂
Old 07-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Well, I guess we'll just have to keep tolerating them and trying to think for them. I would never think of a valve stem remover... HAHA I'd just get caught. [emoji23]
The valve stem remover is a great tool.
You can start a slow leak, and cause passive-aggressive grief for someone without actually damaging their property.

In theory, of course. I wouldn't do that myself, nor would I condone that action.

It's no where near as damaging as quail eggs in someone's fuel tank. (Another gift that keeps on giving)
Old 07-06-2019, 07:16 AM   #31
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
The valve stem remover is a great tool.
You can start a slow leak, and cause passive-aggressive grief for someone without actually damaging their property.

In theory, of course. I wouldn't do that myself, nor would I condone that action. (sure, sure)

It's no where near as damaging as quail eggs in someone's fuel tank. (Another gift that keeps on giving)
Wow! I've really lived a sheltered life! 😳 I'd never think of doing those things. 😂 But, yes, revenge can be sweet. 😏
Old 07-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJ View Post
Wow! I've really lived a sheltered life! [emoji15] I'd never think of doing those things. [emoji23] But, yes, revenge can be sweet. [emoji57]
You need the fancy quail eggs to fit through the restrictor cap that unleaded fueled cars have.

Older leaded vehicles as well as Heavey trucks can be blessed with ordinary chicken eggs...

(They take about 2 weeks to kick in, then they clog the fuel lines... You're nowhere nearby when that happens)
Old 07-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
Be careful everyone. Video cameras are everywhere these days.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:03 AM   #34
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
You need the fancy quail eggs to fit through the restrictor cap that unleaded fueled cars have.

Older leaded vehicles as well as Heavey trucks can be blessed with ordinary chicken eggs...

(They take about 2 weeks to kick in, then they clog the fuel lines... You're nowhere nearby when that happens)
Oooooo - wee!! Who says you can't teach an old dog a new trick? 😮😝🤯😏
Old 07-07-2019, 05:11 AM   #35
RJJ
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 20' Flying Cloud
St Petersburg , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimroll View Post
Be careful everyone. Video cameras are everywhere these days.
So true and for good reason. We might get a little huffy about our privacy being invaded, but that angst disappears as soon as our perpetrator is filmed and caught. 👀🎥🧐
Old 07-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Hi all,

Seriously considering moving from our 16 to a 23. One question I can't find the answer to: we often pull into a supermarket parking lot (TV Yukon XL, Equal-I-Zer) and park in two spots. No problem getting in or out and turning the corner at the end of the rows. Is it still possible with a 23?

Thanks in advance.

Parking our FC23FB in two aligned supermarket slots was easy with our Grand Cherokee. Now with a RAM 1500 Crew Cab I need about two more feet. I simply find two slots further out, on the end if possible, where nobody can block me. Seldom a challenge.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #37
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Supermarket parking is as much when you go / where you go as anything else. If it's dead time at that location, there will be enough room to park a fleet of RV's. If it's lunch time and *everybody* gets sandwiches there ... good luck.

One very real option when it's packed - keep moving. Drop off the designated shopper and simply circle the lot with the RV. As long as you are rational about your route and it's a light shopping stop, it works pretty well. It also works in the same situation when you don't want to park the giant truck it those *tiny* spaces

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Hah, great suggestion uncle_bob.

My wife and I certainly have tag teamed in that game multiple times when I couldn't confidently leave the vehicle taking over multiple spots in a busy shopping center. We do that picking up food at times too when there's no spots to speak of that could accommodate us. Even once at a busy airport when trying to rendezvous with family joining us on a road trip. I suspect security picked up on our game as dragging an airstream round and round the airport isn't exactly incognito.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:16 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
Hah, great suggestion uncle_bob.

My wife and I certainly have tag teamed in that game multiple times when I couldn't confidently leave the vehicle taking over multiple spots in a busy shopping center. We do that picking up food at times too when there's no spots to speak of that could accommodate us. Even once at a busy airport when trying to rendezvous with family joining us on a road trip. I suspect security picked up on our game as dragging an airstream round and round the airport isn't exactly incognito.
What!?

There weren't 14 others doing the same thing?

(In the security office;

"Hey Charlie, that Airstream is doing another lap."

"What? Are you sure?"

Charlie gets cuffed by camera operator, who mutters something about his brother in law's kid is just dumb...)
Old 07-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
What!?

There weren't 14 others doing the same thing?

(In the security office;

"Hey Charlie, that Airstream is doing another lap."

"What? Are you sure?"

Charlie gets cuffed by camera operator, who mutters something about his brother in law's kid is just dumb...)
Hi

Well, now that you mention it, I actually *have* chased another Airstream around a supermarket parking lot At various points in our loops, we would pull up next to each other to chat. *That* did not seem to work very well for more than a brief conversation.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote