Old 07-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Parking our FC23FB in two aligned supermarket slots was easy with our Grand Cherokee. Now with a RAM 1500 Crew Cab I need about two more feet. I simply find two slots further out, on the end if possible, where nobody can block me. Seldom a challenge.
Same here. Pulling a 23FB with a Tundra Dbl Cab. It can be done at the end of a row with only taking three spots. FYI, I doubt the 16 is any more narrow than the 23. I think Airstreams get wider with the 25s.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #44
Peter D

2019 27' Globetrotter
San Luis Obispo , California
Thumbs up Maneuvering is all about skill and confidence

I had to smile big when I saw this posting. In the past five years I've gone from a 22 to a 24 to a 27 and each experience had its share of freakouts when I turned a corner and saw a dead end, or pulled into a shopping center and noticed how tight the parking was.

When I purchased the 27FB I have resolved to "up my game" inspired by a neighbor in my home cul-de-sac, who can maneuver his 27' box trailer backing up into a tight driveway within a few inches of his waist-high retaining wall. I've resolved to just get better, like these truck drivers who back semis into small alleys and loading docks.

The backup camera gives some confidence but I always like to go back for a look ("Trust, But Verify")

With my 24 Lance I could get away with the two parking spot approach in shopping centers but those days are over with the 27FB. I still look forward to the wizardry of backing into tight spaces and people have complemented me on paralell parking my 27 on the curved curb of our cul-de-sac for loading before trips.

Good luck and NO DENTS.

MetalMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Wilmington , Delaware
No Problem

I have a VW Touareg and a 23D. I often pull thru two spots at a market. No problem. I’m about 40 feet total.
WBCCI #1971
BambiWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:43 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
Thanks. Pulled the trigger today. Lordy it's bigger than "The Bean". Sad to see it go but bigger adventures await

Congrats!!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:05 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We’ve had no real issues (truck +27 AS), but often have to park in the street or a long way from where we are going. Unless a parking lot is empty, we don’t park perpendicular to the parking space lines...that’ll make the natives really crazy. We watched some locals totally box in a 5th wheel who did that in a fairly busy lot. He was ready to go and his new friends were slowly loading their cars, then apparently decided to go back for a coffee...and pretended they didn’t even see him pounding on his horn. He was stuck and just had to wait until one of them had pity and moved their cars.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #48
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
YOU be the judge.

Quote:
Hi all,

Seriously considering moving from our 16 to a 23. One question I can't find the answer to: we often pull into a supermarket parking lot (TV Yukon XL, Equal-I-Zer) and park in two spots. No problem getting in or out and turning the corner at the end of the rows. Is it still possible with a 23?

Thanks in advance.
There is no other judge better than yourself.

Why not take a 7 foot measuring tape with you to your parking lot of choice, park your rig, and get out and measure it for yourself?

As far as maneuvers . . . if you've been trailing a while I'm sure you have witnessed 30 +/- footers in a parking lot with larger TV's than yours.

We have a full size diesel p/u and a 25. If you think it through, there aren't too many places you can't park. Heck, even Cracker Barrel has their parking lots striped for tour buses and those are longer than your XL and a 23.

Safe journeys.
Popeye

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Same here. Pulling a 23FB with a Tundra Dbl Cab. It can be done at the end of a row with only taking three spots. FYI, I doubt the 16 is any more narrow than the 23. I think Airstreams get wider with the 25s.
just a FYI: My 2017 M-16 Bambi is 8' wide. My previous popup was 7' wide and it was pretty easy to park it at storage. After I sold the popup and bought the Bambi, I found it a little difficult to park it between two big campers but I made it all right.

2017 M16 Bambi
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:59 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

London , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMissile View Post
I had to smile big when I saw this posting. In the past five years I've gone from a 22 to a 24 to a 27 and each experience had its share of freakouts when I turned a corner and saw a dead end, or pulled into a shopping center and noticed how tight the parking was.

When I purchased the 27FB I have resolved to "up my game" inspired by a neighbor in my home cul-de-sac, who can maneuver his 27' box trailer backing up into a tight driveway within a few inches of his waist-high retaining wall. I've resolved to just get better, like these truck drivers who back semis into small alleys and loading docks.

The backup camera gives some confidence but I always like to go back for a look ("Trust, But Verify")

With my 24 Lance I could get away with the two parking spot approach in shopping centers but those days are over with the 27FB. I still look forward to the wizardry of backing into tight spaces and people have complemented me on paralell parking my 27 on the curved curb of our cul-de-sac for loading before trips.

Good luck and NO DENTS.
Rule#1 for backing.

G.O.A.L.

(Get Out And Look)

Unless you know the spot well, take a look around.

It is really embarrassing to bump a bollard that was hiding around a corner.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:06 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
Parking

Quote:
Hi all,

Seriously considering moving from our 16 to a 23. One question I can't find the answer to: we often pull into a supermarket parking lot (TV Yukon XL, Equal-I-Zer) and park in two spots. No problem getting in or out and turning the corner at the end of the rows. Is it still possible with a 23?

Thanks in advance.
I tow a 1978 31' and have never had a problem in store parking lots, of course, I don't go into small Mom & Pop stores just malls and truck stops to fuel because most Truckstops have gas pumps and the entry & exits are usually better!
Bev1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halford1 View Post
just a FYI: My 2017 M-16 Bambi is 8' wide. My previous popup was 7' wide and it was pretty easy to park it at storage. After I sold the popup and bought the Bambi, I found it a little difficult to park it between two big campers but I made it all right.
Yep, both the 16 and 23 are 8’.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Yep, both the 16 and 23 are 8’.

I’m pretty sure all traditional aluminum airstreams are made standard height and width, only thing that that differs is the length.

There will be a difference in towing a longer trailer than the 16. Take wider turns and stay away from super small parking lots. Essentially, always have an exit strategy.
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
I’m pretty sure all traditional aluminum airstreams are made standard height and width, only thing that that differs is the length.

There will be a difference in towing a longer trailer than the 16. Take wider turns and stay away from super small parking lots. Essentially, always have an exit strategy.
Above the 23’ the width goes to 8’ 5.5”. The additional 5.5” width on all the larger models obviously adds some additional weight, and makes them a tad bit more difficult to see around in your side mirrors. Not really sure how much those 5.5” would effect maneuverability and backing into tighter campsites.
Furnace in 23 is 18,000 btu, 25 is 25,000.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM   #55
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yup.

Indeed, the larger trailers are now "wide body" versions. The extra half foot is nice when you are inside and a bit more fun in a tunnel Back in the day, the larger ones were not quite so wide.

More or less, there are three basic widths, 7.5, 8 and 8.5 feet. At some point I suspect they may try an 8.5' wide 16' long Bambi ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
vero beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverpuller View Post
The note’s author was suffering from “silver envy.” Glad you didn’t let it get under your skin.

Yep---silver envy!! Love it!

sherrylynne is offline   Reply With Quote