Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #1
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Mountains with my V6 and Safari 22

Planning a trip this summer to Estes Park from Chicago then up to Black Hills. Not sure how well my 2009 Honda Pilot with V6 will pull the AS 22 footer with a family of 5 in the car (fortunate to be small people). Any experience getting up to the National Park campgrounds at 7,000ft?

Thanks
mcipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I did something similar two years ago with my 2005 Honda Odyssey towing a 2000 lb T@B trailer. The trailer was lighter, but its aerodynamics aren't quite as good as my Argosy (or your similar Safari.) I towed 8000 miles from Connecticut through the Black Hills into Grand Teton and Yellowstone. You have a bit more power than I do. If memory serves, the 2009+ Pilot comes with all of the transmission coolers built in already.

I won't say that I sprinted uphill. But it could be locked in D3 and maintain 45 mph. No overheating or anything bad like that. It was hot in the Black Hills, but was snowing at 9500 feet entering the Grand Tetons.

Take it slow, make sure everything is well maintained, watch the temperature gauge - and have a fun trip.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our Infiniti V6 is similar in size and performance to your Pilot and the hills here in Ontario don't slow us down when towing the 23'. Haven't towed in the mountains yet but wouldn't expect any issues.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
hey Road Ruler what model Infiniti do you have ? and can you share any ups and downs on pulling with it? just curious, because I have a Nissan frontier and wonder what a good A/S to pull with it would love a newer 23' but thinking a 19' would be a better fit
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You might think about adding a set of Firestone air rides, it will keep your sag to a minimum and help with the tracking.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Mc,
Last year we pulled our "54 Canned ham to Tacoma (via Hw 2, through Glacier NP) with the mighty Silverado (V6). A little slow through the mountains, no overheating problems.
The nice thing about a TT is that you can leave it at the campground while you sight see. Nothing to worry about in the Black Hills.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:09 AM   #7
The Bean

2008 22' Safari
Glen Ellyn , Illinois
Thank you

Thank you everyone for the comforting words and advice. I was going to double check that the Pilot has the transmission cooler and if so I think we will be good to go. Very Excited! Thanks again.
mcipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We do real mountains all the time with a 2006 Honda Ridgeline. Absolutely no issues.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
you know sometimes the radiator already has a trans. missh. cooler but there are 60 and 70 dollar kits that can be installed on the front of the radiator to go along with that.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Rivet Master

You didn't say anything about the weight of your trailer or the tow rating of your vehicle.
With five people aboard and packed for a vacation, you may be over or close to your gross combined vehicle weight, even if your trailer is within the tow rating of your vehicle.
However, you have picked one of the easiest places to get to in the Colorado Mountains. Both highways from the east are up canyons with moderate grades and slow speeds. Take it easy and go slow around downhill corners. One of the things you notice with a heavy rig and a marginal tow vehicle is that you will get pushed around down hill corners. If you are going slow and in control, this may be uncomfortable but is not dangerous.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
hey Road Ruler what model Infiniti do you have ? and can you share any ups and downs on pulling with it? just curious, because I have a Nissan frontier and wonder what a good A/S to pull with it would love a newer 23' but thinking a 19' would be a better fit
Sure thing oslow.... We have been using the G35 for 5 years now. Custom receiver, etc was done by Can Am so it is a pro set up. We have over 200hrs of towing with this car and have had no issues with performance or reliability. In fact the car now has over 100,000 miles on it and it drives and feels like new.

Although the G and Frontier are both V6 Nissans beware that they have little in common as far as their ability to handle the trailer. The engineering and physics with the G is a real advantage when it comes to performance and handling so it is not really fair to compare the two vehicles. Sorry I can't be more helpfull with your Frontier project/questions.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:48 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
No Problem

The highway between Loveland, CO and Estes Park has at most a 45mph speed limit, mostly because of the curves. I don't think you will have any trouble maintaining those speeds. Besides, it is such a beautiful drive, you may not want to go any faster and miss the scenery. Have a great trip!
OH! and when you get to the Black Hills look for a campground called "WELIKIT" near Custer. Great place to stay, nice folks.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote