Old 08-02-2004, 08:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

A-haa! Found an answer!

I will look to upgrade my vespa for a fat harley now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755

An AS and a bike, towed by one vehicle.

Old 08-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabofabo
I will look to upgrade my vespa for a fat harley now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6755

An AS and a bike, towed by one vehicle.
This is the unit my friends have on their BF Fifth Wheel. They love it. They're what you call "fulltimers".

cheers..jb

Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We have an extended cab/long bed diesel F250 and even my 4'10" wife has no problem driving it around town (power adjustable pedals help)... in fact, other than the Harleys, it's our only vehicle. I haven't had the Road King in the bed at all yet, much less while towing the 34' triple-axle Airstream, but I have had 2300 lbs of shingles in the bed, which is more than the 800 lbs of the Road King with tour-pak, and 1000 lbs or so of tongue weight. It did just fine.

BTW, I HAVE seen a TKLoader (or something similar) in action and it's SWEET!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd View Post
john boy

i've been taking my '55 fl camping with me for years.

forget the van and just get a pickup of your favorite flavor with a 8 foot bed. i use a nice folding aluminum ramp for loading and unloading.

if you are unsure about loading by your self here are a couple of tips, look for a low spot you can back the truck into. this allows you to be much closer to the ground. second, ask for help! i have never been to a campground yet where i cannot solicit help from a nieghbor. most all folks are willing to lend a hand! a few beers don't hurt either! makes a nice icebreaker, and you get to know your fellow campmates better.

here is a pic of my current setup taken about a month ago at a forum mini rally at savanna ill.

john
Looks good! Now if I could do that with my Triumph Rocket 3 and 2 kayaks then I would be set.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
I ride a fairly large BMW R1200 GS Adventure. I've gone thru the same decisions you are. So far I haven't found the perfect solution. AS makes a 25' that has a door/ramp in back, but I don't think you could get that big Harley in there.
My wife will only "camp" in a AS, so that eliminates all the toy haulers.
The best solution would be to meet her in various places. I'll ride the bike, she pulls the trailer. (I don't think that's going to happen.)
The big pick-up is the only solution for me. Haven't gone there yet, but I don't see any other way. I may have to downsize bikes. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading by myself. Good luck, hope you find the right solution!
Jeff
Old 07-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
I think there is similar thread elsewhere here.. I'll repeat part of post there. I have friend who full-times in 34' Airstream Limited with Harley Fat Boy Motorcycle, and he does it solo.. Trick is tall "Doghouse" style metal camper shell on back of Chevy Club Cab Pickup (2500 Model), with full width loading ramp, as esed by motorcycle dealers.. He is quite comfortable rolling it up or down ramp, bike is safe when trailer attached to truck, andit works well.. He adds portable satellite antenna and Honda 3000 generator for his AC and spends summers touring US and Canada, and winters in Orlando FL area.. He found manufacturer of aluminum shells that didn't advertise a lot but made tall shells on request for motorcycle carriage.. Shell sticks up about 2 or 3 feet above cab of truck, but wind resistance is modest increment...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #21

1999 34' Excella
1975 31' Excella 500
Wichita Falls , Texas
Hey guys, I have been a MC rider since I was 16 (now 32) and when we bought our AS six years ago I had to figure out how to have a bike with me. My cruiser wouldn't fit in my truck ('04 Chevy dually) with the toolbox in it. So I measured available room and bought a used BMW f650 that fit at an angle between my toolbox and the tailgate. That has been one of my best moves. We have been wintering outside of Bisbee, AZ for a few years and I can ride in the mountains and desert while the girls go shopping and what not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1689859740.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	578.9 KB
ID:	163392

Here's a pic of the rig all together somewhere in Montana if my memory serves me right.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #22
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
I ride a fairly large BMW R1200 GS Adventure. I've gone thru the same decisions you are. So far I haven't found the perfect solution. AS makes a 25' that has a door/ramp in back, but I don't think you could get that big Harley in there.
My wife will only "camp" in a AS, so that eliminates all the toy haulers.
The best solution would be to meet her in various places. I'll ride the bike, she pulls the trailer. (I don't think that's going to happen.)
The big pick-up is the only solution for me. Haven't gone there yet, but I don't see any other way. I may have to downsize bikes. I don't like the idea of loading/unloading by myself. Good luck, hope you find the right solution!
Jeff
Same for me, R12 GS. If I had to do it all over again, I would look at a 3/4 ton sprinter van to tow.

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
camping with the bike

Made a custom ramp to load my 860# Triumph in the pickup. Went up to Maggie Valley wit the AS, 600 mile round trip no issues.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot390 View Post
Made a custom ramp to load my 860# Triumph in the pickup. Went up to Maggie Valley wit the AS, 600 mile round trip no issues.
Glad you've got it worked out. How about a pic or two with bike and trailer in place..
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have always wanted to bring our Goldwing on our winter escapes to the Southwest.

We do tow with a decent sized truck, and when we first bought it, I contemplated getting the truck fitted out with one of those power winch arrangements to pull the bike up onto the truck bed.

After much thought however, I sadly concluded that the space in the truck would be better used to keep excess "stuff" from cluttering up the Airstream, so I put a Leer cap on the truck and that is how we use it - works well for us.

So the poor motorcycle stays home and a couple of beat up mountain bikes come along with us on the front of the the truck.

For us, it is mainly Airstream trips in the winter, Goldwing trips in the summer.

I still envy you guys who can bring your "rides" along with you!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
I have always thought
3 or 4" angle iron, welded and bolted onto the frame rails of the AS, extending past the rear bumper, then mounting a lift for the bike.

Saw this at Island State park in Delaware at a rally
The ultimate single wheel trailer system.
I lean towards the dual wheel vs the single wheel

We have a Vstar 1100, cant go to a smaller bike, at 6'1 I just fit on the 1100 with the wife as a passenger.

I wouldnt do this for the 31' Excella but really want something for the 25' Tradewind
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #27
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
My set up for the run to Bullhead City Az. for registration & custom plate for the bike.

Working on the internal tie downs of my EB. I'm looking to pop the bike out the back without unhitching. A Baxley front wheel chock helps soo much. Right now it will set in front of the refer, bike front wheel over the rear AS wheels. Looking for the right tie down that is bare foot friendly. Have yet to run the bike into the rig, I need to make some kind of ramp to roll over the hatch inside door sill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2956.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	188737  
Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia

Name:	2013-05-19 08.46.55.jpg