Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Morro Bay State Park

We are going to go to Central CA and are planning on staying at Morro Bay State Park. Looking at the campground map we are trying to pick a site, the map shows "State Park Rd" is this a busy road or just a internal drive? We welcome any comments on Morro Bay State Park and any recommendations for campsite locations.

Thanks for you help

Bob

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Ponyfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Although I've never camped there I did spend a few nights on a sailboat docked closer to downtown (Morro Bay Yacht Club) from there. The nearest busy road is US1 and it's like a freeway but it looks like the campground is far enough away that you shouldn't be bothered by traffic noise. Also you're adjacent to a golf course so I doubt if there would be traffic noise from there. It would be about a 30 minute walk to town and its a great little town for walking around in. Some others may have first hand experience.

No matter where you go, there you are.
jbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbauer View Post
Although I've never camped there I did spend a few nights on a sailboat docked closer to downtown (Morro Bay Yacht Club) from there. The nearest busy road is US1 and it's like a freeway but it looks like the campground is far enough away that you shouldn't be bothered by traffic noise. Also you're adjacent to a golf course so I doubt if there would be traffic noise from there. It would be about a 30 minute walk to town and its a great little town for walking around in. Some others may have first hand experience.

No matter where you go, there you are.
Thanks for the quick reply........great information

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I've camped there many times, most recently this past Thanksgiving weekend visiting my son attend CalPoly.

State park road is mostly used for access to the campground and adjacent marina. Traffic disappears at night. The loops nearest the road have hookups (water and electrical only). Sites in the loops further back don't but are about $15 less per night. Campground had a dump station. The section furthest away from the road is under a eucalyptus forest. The larger section of the campground is mostly in the sun, I think an advantage this time of year. The bathroom facilities were recently remodeled and are nice with hot showers.

If you golf the course surrounding the campground is public and offer discounts to campers. They course has some stunning ocean vistas. Across the street they rent kayaks for a reasonable fee.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
We camped there and it was quiet. I agree, the sun is an advantage now and not being under the Eucs is as well- dropped branches are heavy. We used it as a jumping off place to visit Hearst Castle. Morro Bay is a little funky, which can be good or a bore, depending on what you're into. San Simeon Creek Campground looked good too,

Hearst San Simeon SP

Cambria is fun, too. North on highway one, you can stop for lunch at Napenthe, which is in an amazing setting,

Nepenthe Restaurant, Big Sur, California

and we found easy to park with our trailer along hwy 1. Have fun!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globie64 View Post
We camped there and it was quiet. I agree, the sun is an advantage now and not being under the Eucs is as well- dropped branches are heavy. We used it as a jumping off place to visit Hearst Castle. Morro Bay is a little funky, which can be good or a bore, depending on what you're into. San Simeon Creek Campground looked good too,

Hearst San Simeon SP

Cambria is fun, too. North on highway one, you can stop for lunch at Napenthe, which is in an amazing setting,

Nepenthe Restaurant, Big Sur, California

and we found easy to park with our trailer along hwy 1. Have fun!
Thanks we have had lunch at Nepenthe before and it was great. We love that part of the central coast

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
I've camped there many times, most recently this past Thanksgiving weekend visiting my son attend CalPoly.

State park road is mostly used for access to the campground and adjacent marina. Traffic disappears at night. The loops nearest the road have hookups (water and electrical only). Sites in the loops further back don't but are about $15 less per night. Campground had a dump station. The section furthest away from the road is under a eucalyptus forest. The larger section of the campground is mostly in the sun, I think an advantage this time of year. The bathroom facilities were recently remodeled and are nice with hot showers.

If you golf the course surrounding the campground is public and offer discounts to campers. They course has some stunning ocean vistas. Across the street they rent kayaks for a reasonable fee.
Thanks i will find out which sites have hookups . I appreciate your comments

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU
Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
We stayed at site 10 (has hookups). We thought it was very good, if not one of the best in the park.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Happy Wonderer

1997 25' Safari
Box Elder , South Dakota
Do NOT camp under the eucalyptus and other trees! Stay in center where trees are not overhead. Big birds = BIG poop!
We watched some people hoofing all their gear across the park to escape the bombs coming from above.
We were there at end of September and first week of October.
“Freethinkers are those who are willing to use their minds without prejudice and without fearing to understand things that clash with their own customs, privileges, or beliefs. This state of mind is not common, but it is essential for right thinking...”
― Leo Tolstoy
B_Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Cambria , California
If you walk across the main road to the water, you will find the Bayside Cafe. It's a great funky and cozy place with lots of windows looking out at the bay. Food is good and reasonable. Also, try the Dutchman on the Embarcadero in Morro Bay. A few miles up the road towards Los Osos is the Baywood district with the Baywood Ale House. Our first Airstream camp was at Morro Bay State Park and we ended up coming to nearby Cambria for retirement. Check out Cambria.
Ziggy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #11
SLO Town Airstream Owner

1977 31' Sovereign
San Luis Obispo , San Luis Obispo
An excellent park. Certainly not busy traffic wise. Used to be much nicer before it was redone.
sloprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Avila Beach , California
Woo-hoo, one of the nicest state parks in the CA system, and in fact a great place to meet nice folks, in fact we were there the exact same time as kscherzi (above) and met them and have been corresponding back and forth since... This is a lovely park, and as stated, quiet and readily adjacent to the Morro Bay attractions, e.g golf, the Embarcadero (water front). Hearst Castle is about a 40 minute drive north. One point, someone commented on Highway 1 being like a freeway...nope, the 405 in LA is a freeway, Highway 1 is just that, a four lane highway, two southbound, two northbound, and very uncrowded especially this time of year. We live 20 minutes from Morro Bay State Park and about 10 minutes from Pismo Beach State Park No. Campground, both are amazing and our choice for weekend escapes; we are so fortunate... not bragging, just fortunate. In fact we have camped at MB for a week while working in San Luis Obispo, commuting back and forth, working durning the day and camping in the evening...a lot of fun, ya all shoud try it. BTW, the sites with the hook-up at MBSP are the low numbers, e.g. 1-30ish... I agree heartily with the recommendation to steer clear of the Euc grove, no hook-ups, and it can be cold this time of year with little sun. If you can't get reservations for the hook-up sights, the sunshine circle is great, with plenty of- you guessed it, sunshine. The other cool thing about both MB and PSB is that the campsites are spaced nicely so you don't feel like you are in some RV parking lot...Have a wonderful time, sample the great seafood, and oh, if you do decide to take-in Hearst Castle, be sure to stop in for dinner at the Sea Chest restaurant in Cambria, best seafood anywhere; but beware, no reservations and no credit cards, and people begin lining up at 4 or 4:30 for their 5:30 opening and first seating. Take some wine ( you are now in wine country after all), a lawn chair and sit out on their front stoop waiting for the place to open, make new friends, watch the sunset, and then enjoy a dinner experience you will remember long afterwards. Anyway, enjoy, and Happy Holidays to all who read this post..

"don't let life get in the way of living"
LOGRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thank you everyone, these are all great suggestions.

2017 Ford F-250 Diesel
2015 25' International
WBCCI # 5462 4CU