Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2015, 05:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
More on tolls

Around Chicago, the easiest route for me headed from North Carolina to Milwaukee is to use I-294. Rarely have I seen a delay, tolls checked on the high speed lanes.

But, the cost is now running from $19.10 headed north to over $21.00 headed southbound. Apparently the tolls vary by direction, do they vary as to time of day? Or, is there an issue with the toll detection system which is misreading my Dodge Crew Cab, Long Bed 4x4, plus Serenity 30RB, measuring about 53 feet overall as something other than an RV.

Thoughts?
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Tolls in our area do vary by time of day, so that is a possibility. Don't know how they do it in Chicago.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You should be able to save 10% by using ILPass or like we have EzPass. This is the case in PA, and I think IL as well, but not positive.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The savings in Chicago are 50% with IPass. Worth getting one if you pass through, even occasionally.

It costs $10 to get one (refundable, if/when you turn it in and close the account). You have to keep a credit card on file which automatically replenishes when the balance gets below $10, and I believe the minimum replenish amount is still $40.

You can get one at any Jewel/Osco grocery store or the Illinois Tollway HQ.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You should be able to see the toll structure for the authority by going to their web site. That will answer the question of time of day and if they have misread your rig.

While the published rates are there there are often mistakes in how the software in the fly thru charge in cases of multi axle combinations. The mistakes re always in their favor.

After several years of questioning the Delaware River tolls they have buried this disclaimer deep in their web page.

3. Remove and bag the E-ZPass transponder and pay by cash - To completely eliminate the potential for a misclassified vehicle in the first place, it may be preferable for a RV/trailer customer to remove and secure his/her E-ZPass tag and pay the toll manually in a lane that accepts cash payment. In these cases, the E-ZPass transponder must be removed and placed in the read-proof bag before entering the toll-collection lane. (Failure to remove and secure the E-ZPass tag in the read-proof bag could trigger dual billing.)

Failure to do so you are charge this way.

(Note: All Class 2 vehicles and above with trailers are priced per axle. So, a two-axle truck with a one-axle trailer will be charged a Class 3 rate - $12 peak; a two-axle truck with a two-axle trailer will be charged a Class 4 rate - $16 peak.)

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
My K-Tag from Kansas is good on Oklahoma tollroads and tolls in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. My I-Pass from Illinois is good in 15 states. Big savings in time and money! And a great convenience. I didn't get a SunPass when I went on the Florida Fantasy caravan and it cost me in penalties, extra tolls and delays at tollbooths. Wherever I go with tolls from now on, I'm going to get a pass.
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The large 50% discount in Illinois for Ipass is well worth the chance of getting over charged. I check my account on line after I use it while pulling my trailer. I have multiple cars on the same account. The camera seems to know when I am using the truck pulling the trailer and charges accordingly. The truck is a dually so the charge 50% more for that. The fact that one of the trailers has 6 wheels (three Axles) doubles the charge. It is not cheap, but 50% less than if I paid cash.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote