Old 05-16-2002, 06:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Dr. Joe,
I appreciate your note. I'll look into it and if it looks like we can put it on the itinerary we may just see you there. Thanks again.

JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2002, 05:24 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Hope you enjoy your visit to the Smokies. I've lived in Tn. since 1967, visited Gatlinburg for the first time in the mid '70's. I've been back 5 or 6 times, even spent my honeymoon in '77 in one of the many A frame chalets while also fishing. Last time I was there was 2000 and enjoyed driving through the park. It was especially thrilling late in the evening when several of us were walking down one of the paved roads among the chalets. We heard garbage cans rattling around and then saw a big black bear run off the side of the hill. We were walking fast the other direction. Most of the garbage cans are contained inside a wooden crate or similiar structure next to the chalets just for this purpose. If you can make it to Cades Cove to visit you should go. It is nice. If you like German food, I think the Ole' Hidelburg Castle may still be open. You have to ride a lift to the top of the mountain but the food is worth it the times I have been there. Don't miss the Acorn Shop, full of all kinds of knives and other cutlery. Smokey Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville is also worth a look if you are in to all kinds of knives. Have a safe trip. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2002, 06:27 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Try to visit Cades cove just before sunset. That's when all the deer come to the meadows to graze. We have counted as many as 70 on the short drive around the cove. Take your binoculars.
moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
We saw lots of em too. We went during our honeymoon last October. Just try to get there about an hour before so you atleast have a chance to see most of the area. We got behind alot of cars and missed a great deal because it became dark while we were still there. Oh well, we will just have to go back...
'94. 29' Excella Classic
2001 5.4L Ford F150 Lariat Super Cab
wife & 2 boys
tenrsingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 08:38 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
We're returning to the Cades Cove area for the first two weeks in July as we do every year. Great fireworks display in Townsend on the 4th. You're right about getting to the Cove early to see the deer. Lots of folks have the same idea - but its a fun thing and most share the pleasantness of the tour.

Also, great tubing on the river attracts young and old alike. Lots of fun there, too.

moporolo is offline   Reply With Quote