Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Originally Posted by Mookie
Hi Robert and Sherry,

Sounds like you may be hitting the Monterey peninsula around the time of the annual Pebble Beach Concours and Monterey Historic Automobile Races at Laguna Seca. This year it's August 18-20. If that is the case, you will be challenged trying to find a place to park your rig. One place to check is the Monterey County Fairgrounds:

They have full hookups at $30/night. There are two areas to park your rig. The paved area is right next to a golf course and, with an Airstream, the prospect of flying golfballs is a scary thing. I suggest you request the grassy area - it's much farther away from the golf course.

We have not stayed at the Marina Dunes RV Park, but we have recently checked it out as a potential future place to stay. It appears to be very nice, but close to Highway 1 - there will be some highway noise. I would request a space on the dunes side rather than the highway side.

Another option, although much farther up the road and much more expensive, is Costanoa:

Good luck!

Heck, you stay at the Hyatt there in Monterey, get the rooms on the Highway side and you get highway noise for $200 a night!

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Hi everyone! Well, I have linked everyone's suggestions to a camping favorites/Big Sur area, so at least now the camping is covered. Coastalview graciously is going to offer suggestions on places to see, so we are getting excited.

For any of you ever traveling north of Monterey, the little town of Capitola just north of New Brighton State Park is a treat.

Anyway, thank you all, and I will post pics on this thread sometime in late August.

See you all soon. Robert and Sherry

OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master
San Angelo , Texas
Robert & Sherry,

I was stationed in Monterey for five years, and I have stayed in both Marina Dunes, as well as Moss Landing RV park (we were invited to its Grand Opening). I'd like to tell you that we had a great time at Moss Landing, because to me it's hands down a newer place than Marina Dunes, but truth be told we had some crazy nut in the middle of the night come running through the RV park, banging on all the windows. He actually broke our bathroom window, he banged so hard (the cops did catch him...he was high on meth). Marina Dunes RV park might not be the newest place on the block, but you can't beat the view, and the staff there is also really really nice. They used to let us dump there, even if we hadn't stayed there.

1971 Sovereign International - SOLD

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2006 Safari SE
Los Alamitos , California
Thank you Stingray. I have spoken with the staff twice now, and can tell they are very nice, and genuinely seem they want us to have a good time. They moved our sites from the 40 sections to the 50 sections, as someone cancelled, and told us the 50 sections were closer to the water.

We are looking forward to the stay, which has now been increased to three nights.

Robert and Sherry

OpenHigher is offline   Reply With Quote