Old 04-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Montana/Idaho/Washington Suggestions?

I'm planning a 2 week trip to Montana in late August-Early September. I will be driving to Hamilton, MT from Atascadero,CA to visit some college buddies and then plan to head to Western Washington and Oregon before heading home.

I was thinking about taking a detour from US 93 over Idaho 75 through Sun Valley. Has anyone towed this route before and have suggetions for campgrounds in the area?

I'm also looking for suggestions for routes to take and things to do/see in Northern Idaho/Montana and Western Washington. Thinking about Staying around Mt Rainier for a few days...any suggestions there?

TinShack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain

ton of sights to see ... pm me and ill do some research..havent been back in some time. one of my favorite places.

Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
Blacksburg , Virginia
We stayed around Priest Lake (northern Idaho) last summer. We had to stay at a private campground (one I would NEVER recommend) but later found Priest Lake State Park and it was very beautiful. It is in a pretty remote area but gorgeous. We hope to make it back to the state park someday. Here's the link to the park:

Priest Lake State Park
Lani Pokrana
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Go North!!

If you're that close, you have to get to Glacier National Park.. Campground at south end on Rt 2 Near Great Bear.. East Glacier is home of Glacvier Lodge, with more than 50 Douglas Fir Tree Trunks as structural vertical columns.. Try Red Bus from East Glacier to West Glacier over "Going to the Sun Highway" (Trailers not permitted...) Visit lodge and KOA at St. Mary's..

We drove north from Coeur d Alene past Sand Point and into Canada at Kingsgate for 3 days rushing through Lake Louise, Jasper and Banff, back down east side into Montana at Carway.... We found Blackfeet Indian Reservation and towns along I-15 down to Billings pretty uninspiring...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You might have trouble finding spots in late August in the pacific northwest. This is a busy time of year.

So far the tips have all been good ones. Glacier Park is great this time of year as is Priest Lake and Canada if you are willing to head north. The Banff/Lake Louise areas are spectacular. It is little spendy to get into the park so you might want to check ahead.

If you are heading through Washington I would suggest you travel on highway 20 if you want to see some spectacular sights. Curlew Lake SP by Republic is nice as is Bonaparte Lake by Wauconda. Heading west into the North Cascades Pass you will find Pearrygin Lake in Winthrop which is OK but up into the pass you will find a great spot at Newhalem. Down on the western slope is Marblemount near Rockport. Pass through Sedro Woolley and Mount Vernon and head out to Whidbey Island and camp at Deception Pass SP. From here you will have to decide if you want to catch a ferry out to the Olympic Peninsula where tons of places await. I highly recommend the HOH Rain forest.

Good luck deciding where you want to go and what you want to see. I-90 is a freeway that passes through the central part of the state. This is different topography, more desolate in the east turning into farm land in the central part of the state and then becoming mountainous as you get into the Cascades. Farther to the south you can do the Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier tours.

Lots to see in Washington.

aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Silver Bullit
1985 25' Sovereign
Edmonton , Alberta
Idaho camping

Good luck with your trip.

Last year we stayed at Farragut State Park for about 10 days. It was clean, friendly, nice sites and very quiet. I would certainly recommend that if anyone was looking for a place in Northern Idaho to camp, Farragut would be the top of the list. The fact that it is virtually midpoint between Coure d'Alene and Sandpoint is also a plus. One thought is, if you get a chance try to stay in either Gilmore or Whitetail campground. We found the sites were a little more grown in than Waldron was. Here's a link and have a great time.

Farragut State Park
timmy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Just looking at Farragut and Priest Lake makes me want to head to Idaho this summer. I've stayed at some great Idaho state parks but those two look too awesome!

"It's the journey."

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote