Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Money-money-money

We're getting ready to travel for several weeks through Ontario, Manitoba, and Sask. This will be a first to our neighbors to the north and we're wondering what is the best way to travel money wise. Just use plastic (not sure if our visa carrier has any restrictions), possible get exchange currency, or what? Any advice and recommendations?
Thanks.
Barry & Karen

Old 05-27-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Make sure your card does not have any foreign transaction fees. They can be $15 per transaction. When I went to Europe, I got a Chase Platinum just for the trip (has annual membership fee, but no transaction fee) and cancelled it upon returning home. I was charged $15 on my regular card when I bought my Arvika bike rack out of Canada.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I used my Credit Union debit card most of the time. It will run as either a credit or debit card. I pretty much get several hundred dollars at a time out and pay cash for meals and small purchases. I did get some "international" fees when I used another credit card but they were pretty small fees.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
We're getting ready to travel for several weeks through Ontario, Manitoba, and Sask. This will be a first to our neighbors to the north and we're wondering what is the best way to travel money wise. Just use plastic (not sure if our visa carrier has any restrictions), possible get exchange currency, or what? Any advice and recommendations?
Thanks.
Barry & Karen
Many possible ways each with its benefits and downfalls. Seems like everything changes every 5 years too.

Much depends on HOW MUCH money you're going to spend and WHERE you're going to spend it. The American Express card is imo the best way to pay for larger sums internationally at traditional travel-related merchants and anyplace else that will accept it. Very low risk of fraud, the transaction charges are fair, and they will work with you if the card is lost or stolen on the road.

MC/Visa transaction fees now vary, be careful and know what they'll charge in advance. Don't use debit cards, if there is a fraud problem you'll have a hell of a time getting something done. Policies on card replacement vary a little from bank to bank but they will usually not get you a card the next morning the way amex will.

U.S. cash is widely accepted in Canada but the exchange rate is usually not favorable, nonetheless, this is the most practical way where the dollar amounts are low.

Getting Canadian cash before the trip, I have found Traveler's Express to have more favorable rates than banks, however they have few locations in the U.S. outside of airports. Be mindful of the U.S. customs limits on total cash in your possession and be sure to declare it to them if you're over.

Unlike a debit card with cash the most that can get lost/stolen is what you have in your possession

Traveler's checks are a worse and worse deal with every passing year, avoid them.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
We have visited B.C. the last two summers. Didn't have any troubles with our debit card other than the bank shutting it down temporarily the first year until we verified that we were in Canada traveling. Last year I called ahead and told them our travel dates and there were no problems whatsoever. This year we are going in our new AS and taking our dogs. Somehow we just keep making it interesting....
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #6
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We use a Capitol 1 Visa. No annual fee and no international fees. Works great. When needed I get cash from an ATM. So far our travels internationally ( mostly Canada ) have been easy and trouble fee. That is so long as you notify the card carrier ahead of time.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
goshawks00

Welcome to the second biggest country in the world, the most multinational country in the world and where, we have more lakes than all the other countries in the world, COMBINED.

As for travelling in the big frozen north just follow these tips for a pleasant trip.

1) Guns. You can get a long gun permit to travel in Canada with your long gun, but you need to make sure all paper work is completed BEFORE getting to the border to not have any nasty surprises, also guns can't be loaded or travelling with ammo nearby. Absolutely NO handguns allowed to enter Canada. You get caught bringing in a handgun and you're going to wish you were in Kansas.

2) Money. Most every store will easily take American and offer an exchange rate. The rate may not be as good as a bank but they will not turn up their noses at US bank notes as you Yanks turn up your noses at our funny money.

3) Pleasant. "Do unto to others as you would have them do unto you." Relax, smile, be pleasant and be prepared to offer the occasional "Sorry". We Canucks sprinkle sorries around like confetti. If you're passing in front of someone at a store or bump into to someone accidentally, just say sorry and everything is good.

4) Pride We are a proud nation but don't shout about it. We complain about taxes but we're willing to pay more to keep our national healthcare system. We have a self deprecating sense of humour but will only tolerate playful ribbing from our neigbours to the South.

Above all, we as a nation of many nationalities don't live in fear of each other, and all we ask is that you leave your fears, anxieties and phobias at home and enjoy our many sights, sounds and people.

Becoming friends with as many different people in the world is how we may fix this bloody planet of ours.

Cheers
Tony

Almost forgot……BUG SPRAY!!!!!! You need the heavy duty nuclear stuff. Northern Ontario and Manitoba have black flys that will hack off your limbs and make off with your pets.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We've traveled south from Canada to the US on many occasions and have been good to use credit cards. We don't seem to be blighted with "International Transaction Fees" but the exchange rate can be a bit iffy. If you're using your cards, Debit or Credit, then let your issuer know that you're traveling. They'll let you have four transactions before declining the 5th - ask me how I know!

Here in sleepy Ontario, there are many places that don't take American Express (I don't know why) so if that's your primary card then make sure you have a back up such as Visa or Mastercard.

Cash is good and US cash welcome in most places. I saw the comment about funny money and I'd add that if you're going international, be a bold traveler and get some money with the Queen's head on it; it's all part of the experience. When in the UK I had occasion to visit a number of US air bases where they deal only in US currency; a tad short-sighted if you ask me as it was not widely accepted outside the base perimeter. Each to their own I guess.

Have a great time in Canada; it may be my adopted home but I love it here.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Thanks.
Barry & Karen

ATM and Plastic. The advice about foreign transaction fees should be heeded. OTOH when I compared my Amex exchange rate, plus it's foreign transaction fee to my Visa's exchange rate without a FT Fee, they were almost the same, I think the Amex was a penny or two cheaper. So you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. But Amex doesn't charge a flat fee, it's a percentage. It seems its more favorable exchange rate more than makes up for the fee.

I prefer to use Amex because I once had my wallet lifted in Buenos Aires and Amex came through like champs, even though I didn't have my Gold Card to show them. It was in the wallet. They cancelled all of my credit cards for me and gave me $500 to pay the hotel bill and to get home. They gave me a telephone and let me make all the international calls I needed to make. All of this was free, I just had to pay them back the $500, but with no cash advance fee. That saved me so I'm pretty loyal to Amex.

I digress. Carry as little cash as possible, use plastic and ATMs, they are everywhere.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:11 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Quote:
Thanks.
Barry & Karen
Every time I travel abroad I get the appropriate cash to begin with. The thing you have to do is not be stupid.

1. That little hidey hole in your trailer that takes a few more seconds to get to than the drawers, don't just put it there, split it up amongst several hidey holes instead.

2. Carry your wallet with minimal cash in it.

3. If you need more cash, you can use an ATM, and you'll only have the approximate $2.50 fee for using an ATM out of network. The better choice is use that card to buy groceries and get cash back. I've never gotten a fee for that!

4. Let your bank know you are out of you home area, and you can use your plastic.

5. Situational awareness will keep you out of more hot water than anything.

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
When I went to Japan last year I found I was able to use my credit union debit card in almost any ATM I found but at the 7-11 stores there was no fee and I got the best exchange rate too. The only problem was I forgot to increase my withdrawal limit and had to make the trip every day to get more cash.

My credit union VISA was turned down when I tried to use it. I had to Skype the wife in the US and have her call VISA. She held the phone up to the PC speaker/microphone so I could authorized purchases. So it's a good idea to call your card company and let them know you're going to be in Canada and give them the dates.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Always call your credit card companies including gas cards and tell them you are going to be traveling, for how long, and where. Otherwise you could find yourself w/o credit card use.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote