Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Saco , Maine
Mobile wifi?

New TT soon to be owner here: Any advice as to what folks use to generate a mobile wifi signal to run my laptop? I currently have a PC, it has an internal antenna, I have a 3GS iPhone (stoically waiting for the 5 to come out!). I really only want my laptop up and running... When I'm on the road, I take video, make movies, and like to upload them to YouTube. Read email, surf internet.. etc... not TONS of time usage.. but the usual, I guess..
I've heard you can buy a mobile unit that plugs into your laptop, OR, generate the wifi signal via your phone...
Any tips or specific products that have worked well, advice? Oh, and I have AT&T as my iPhone carrier, currently.
Thanks!
skime30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Marietta , Georgia

Do a search on wireless internet on this site - there's a thread with just the information you are looking for. Lots of info there
karenjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
tried quite a few.

Many parks have wifi and your laptop can connect. I assume you want mobile broadband.

Over the years we have tried many devices and solutions. I try to keep a cellphone on one carrier and a mobile broadband device on a different one so that we always have a means to connect.

Currently, I have an ATT mifi for mobile broadband (5 GB/month plan) and a Sprint Android phone (unlimited data plan) that can be configured as a mobile hot spot. So one or the other usually allows me to set up a wifi hotspot.

I also have a Cradlepoint router that I can tether both devices to and it will use both of them, balance the load and provides just one wifi connection. We do not use it much but is quite convenient to keep running in the Airstream while driving. That way we always have wifi in the truck while traveling.

Devices that have external antenna connections are best IMHO, if you can find them. The double aluminum shell of our airstream does cut down on the cellular signal so I mounted an antenna on the refrigerator vent cap. When I bought it, the ATT mifi (Elevate model - very fast on 4g LTE) was the only one with external antenna connections. The external antenna is great! But you can add it later if needed.

I am not familiar with apple phones but you can probably buy a data plan/hotspot option for it from your carrier, or jailbreak it. If you do download a lot of movies, be aware that many carriers have data limits on the mobile broadband devices.

I buy from the 3GStore. They are familiar with RVs, have great support and reasonable prices.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
My wife and I both work out of the house, so last week we tried working from the trailer - worked pretty well! We used the Varizon Mifi 4510L unit, which supports up to 5 devices. We both worked all week, each with extensive web and email usage. Because this was our first time, I monitored our use during the week, which turned out to be about 2 gig, out of a 5 gig per month plan. If we were full timing, we would need to increase our plan obviously.

We were near Boston so service was very good, no issues. In fact, during the drive home we needed to wire some money to our daughter, so we literally pulled into a rest area, turned on the Mifi and fired away! Very handy. Now, if only we can get the money back as easily...
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have iPhones through AT&T and a midi through Verizon. In federal Verizon has better coverage in rural area. It hooks up to 5 devices and they are doing a rebate right now so its only $50. Just got it as I lost my USB one. Love it so far.

I will be switching phones back to Verizon soon now they have the iPhone. I would like the Samsung galaxy as its a better phone but it's just to big.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See related posts that describe our mobile broadband setup:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...ml#post1164047

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ml#post1157676

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f523...ml#post1167932

Note: I recently disconnected our CenturyLink DSL line and purchased the Cyfre "Rockies" Extreme (cellular) Amplifier and Mobile Accessory (magnetic-mount external antenna and power cable) Kit; and I will be testing the amplifier and antenna with the MiFi 4510L during an upcoming roadtrip.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I use my droid 4 for most everything on the road. When i need to use my laptop I can either usb tether or create a hotspot with an app on the phone.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I connect the laptop via my iPhone personal hotspot. It works well for me. With your video work data usage may be a cost factor.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245
I connect the laptop via my iPhone personal hotspot. It works well for me. With your video work data usage may be a cost factor.
How much does it cost to do this?
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 AM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I currently pay $20, per month for 2GB on an iPhone 4. I don't download huge files so this amount works well for me. There are other plans available.

Here's how it works:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1158...t_verizon.html

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:02 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
OK, so I'm not too up to speed on all the technology becaus I just am not even close to the time in my life where I 1/2 - 3/4 time in my AS yet. I do tether my lapto to my BB with my assigned work equipment.

Does anyone use or know about Autonet? You can run 10 devices on it...range of 150 feet (IIRC). Is it cost prohibitive? I don't see any mention of it except with some of my commercial customers.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Does anyone use or know about Autonet? You can run 10 devices on it...range of 150 feet (IIRC). Is it cost prohibitive? I don't see any mention of it except with some of my commercial customers.
If you are talking about the Carfi, I took a quck look. It is a combination device. It includes wireless broadband device (i.e. same as a data card you get form Sprint etc. ) and a wifi router. Together they creates a wireless internet connection via a wireless carrier of your choice and a wifi signal for the computers. You have to add on a data plan from a carrier to make it work.

You could achieve the same thing by plugging your BB into a 12v wifi router. It would be cheaper and more flexible in that if you want to get a new carrier of trade your BB for say an Android, that has tethering , you can. Here are some

A mifi router like the ATT Elevate looks like it will do eveything the CarFi will do and is smaller cheaper and more portable.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Yes, I understand that, but between the wife and I, we have a blu-ray which is WiFi and streams Netflex, a laptop, an Ipad, a Kindle....and who knows what down the road. Again, right now I just tether and skip the netflix etc. But when were traveling extensively, I don't think tethering will do it. But technology changes rapidly, who knows by then?

edit: WAIT! I re-read...tell me about the 12V router for BB.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
I've read the original post and some of the replies. Basically, I want to point out a couple of things. You're "mixing metaphors". I'll explain.

Do you want internet access while on the road (highway or campground)? If so, then you want access via mobile broadband. That isn't WiFi.

WiFi is a local area connectivity solution. It is shorthand for wireless fidelity and was designed to replace wired connections to a router which, in turn, was connected to the internet.

If you're interested in the iPhone 5 (rumored for September release) then I'd consider upgrading to the plan that allows you to share the internet connection with other devices like a laptop. This is commonly called making it a mobile hotspot. Once the iPhone gets a data connection you'd turn on the capability (Settings) and access your iPhone's wireless signal from your computer.

If you didn't want this capability full time then I'd suggest getting a pay-as-you-go plan from Verizon to use with one of their MiFi Jetpacks. They have a variety of data plans on a month-by-month basis. Why Verizon? Because they've been doing it longer and offer the service as does Sprint. Sprint, however, doesn't have the coverage nationwide that Verizon does.

Now, if you want pure WiFi access while at a campground (most don't charge) then you'd need to ask on checkin about wireless internet access. Some require a password to access the wireless signal and some don't. The only "gotcha" about that is your location within the campground and within your unit. Trees with rain, other units, distance, and number of users at one time all effect the performance you'll experience.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
...tell me about the 12V router for BB.
Well as an example here is one router I use (it pugs into my 12v outlet). If you scroll down you will see the "devices" that work with it (e.g. Verizon Blackberry). Devices provide the wireless internet connection via a wireless carrier. A phone with tethering capability can be a device, as can data card or a mifi deivce. The router lets you share the tethered connection with multiple computers.

The Cradlepoints are nice because on some models you can plug multiple devices in and it will switch to which ever one has a connection. I connect for example, a Sprint device and an ATT device, and between the two we can usually always get internet.

3G store can help you find a router that might work with your BB.

I hope that helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
How much does it cost to do this?
$20, $30, $40, $50, $80 per month. It depends on your data usage.
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboehmer
$20, $30, $40, $50, $80 per month. It depends on your data usage.
My iPhone still has unlimited data usage through AT&T. We got it when we first got iPhones 4 years ago and as long as we don't change our plan they can't change that. (Although I got a text from them the other day that said "Your data usage is near 3GB this month. Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you'll still be able to email & surf the web." That's how they still get to you.) So, I am just wondering how much it costs to enable tethering on my iPhone. AT&T charges for that
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Geez, so many options! Our little MacBook with a recently installed enhanced Air Port does a great job looking for wi-fi (Safeway Stores have wi-fi, as do other places). As far as campgrounds with wi-fi, it's a crap-shoot; some only have one transmitter, which makes for slow and spotty service, or none, if a big mo/ho is blocking the signal. KOA in Flagstaff recently installed two more towers, which makes a big difference.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
So, I am just wondering how much it costs to enable tethering on my iPhone. AT&T charges for that
I do not know Apple phones that well but based on my experience.... expect to pay about $30 for 5GB/month as a add-on. For another $20 (less with a discount) you can get a MiFi and keep your phone separate or as a data backup.

The carriers like to use any opportunity to get us off unlimited plans and will definitely use throttling to annoy you enough to change. Assuming ATT supports your phone for their tethering plan, you may want to ask them if you will loose your phone-only unlimited data, if you add-on a tethered data plan.

Another option is to jailbreak your phone and use it tethered or as a wifi hotspot - I do not know how to do that but there are how-to gudes and services out on the WWW. Once you start using it in that mode, you will still have unlimited data, but you will probabaly hit that 3GB throttling point even sooner.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnsonger47 View Post
I've read the original post and some of the replies. Basically, I want to point out a couple of things. You're "mixing metaphors". I'll explain.

Do you want internet access while on the road (highway or campground)? If so, then you want access via mobile broadband. That isn't WiFi.

WiFi is a local area connectivity solution. It is shorthand for wireless fidelity and was designed to replace wired connections to a router which, in turn, was connected to the internet.

If you're interested in the iPhone 5 (rumored for September release) then I'd consider upgrading to the plan that allows you to share the internet connection with other devices like a laptop. This is commonly called making it a mobile hotspot. Once the iPhone gets a data connection you'd turn on the capability (Settings) and access your iPhone's wireless signal from your computer.

If you didn't want this capability full time then I'd suggest getting a pay-as-you-go plan from Verizon to use with one of their MiFi Jetpacks. They have a variety of data plans on a month-by-month basis. Why Verizon? Because they've been doing it longer and offer the service as does Sprint. Sprint, however, doesn't have the coverage nationwide that Verizon does.

Now, if you want pure WiFi access while at a campground (most don't charge) then you'd need to ask on checkin about wireless internet access. Some require a password to access the wireless signal and some don't. The only "gotcha" about that is your location within the campground and within your unit. Trees with rain, other units, distance, and number of users at one time all effect the performance you'll experience.
Not sure if you were addressing me specifically, but I was not mixing them up. I want a mobile broadband secure WiFi hotspot.

Before I get too involved in boring you all though, I need to do some catching up on what's out there....just haven't kept up.

Thanks, Phoenix for the PM.