Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
This morning, one week after placing my order, I received an email saying the Millenicom device has shipped and to expect 5 days for delivery. The notice included a tracking number for the US Postal Service. I tried the Postal Service package tracking website, using the direct link in the Millenicom email. The USPS gave me the following message:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

It isn't hard to figure out why the post office is losing money in competition with UPS and FedEx. It is more difficult to understand why a high tech communications company would charge its customer $15.00 for "priority shipping", ship the order a week late, and use the USPS with zero tracking capability to execute the shipment.

I look forward to receiving the USB Modem and trying the Millenicom service with the PepWave Surf on the Go router the 3G Store got to me in 2 days. I'll give a report once I have some experience.
Maybe try tomorrow, given that today is a Sunday.

Maggie
Old 08-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
For those of you interested in using your smart phones (such as iPhone) as a mobile WiFi hotspot, I just saw this easy to understand video on how to set it up:

Hope this helps!
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Millenicom Update Day 10

The Millenicom USB device arrived today! Better late than never.

I hooked it up to my Macbook laptop following the directions on the box. It was easy to hook up (according to the directions on the box) and worked perfectly.

Next, I opened up the Pepwave Surf On-The-Go I purchased at the same time from the 3G store. I ran the setup routine using the Millenicom USB. It worked perfectly. Then I linked my home wifi to the Pepwave. Again, it worked perfectly. I also linked my iPad and daughter's computer. Again perfect!

So far, so good. The real test will be using the Pepwave with Millenicom in our tow vehicle while on the road to provide wifi over cellular linkage to our laptop or iPad. Then the ultimate test will be using the Pepwave router with actual campground wifi or cellular should the campground wifi be weak or not exit.

I'll report back once I've experienced it in the field.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
So to recap, following are the options people have shared (as I understand them):

1) Use a Millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon.
Cost: $70 per month + cost of equipment

2) Buy a Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster to use in conjunction with either Verizon or AT&T MiFi or cell phone (mount the antenna on top of the Airstream and the cradle for the booster will be inside the Airstream, with the MiFi or cell phone sitting in the cradle).
Cost: Cost of Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster

3) Buy a WiFi Ranger Sky mounted to the TV antenna to help pull in WiFi signals.
Cost: Cost of WiFi Ranger Sky

4) Use your Smart Phone which most have built in WiFi. Just turn the WiFi on in your phone and your computer(s) will pick it up.
Cost: Nothing (already paying for cellular service)

NOTES:
~If you need to increase your data usage from 3G (gigabytes) to 5G (gigabytes), with AT&T is costs $20. After your camping trip, you can go back to your regular 3G usage.
~With the above option, you may want to consider getting a Sleep 4G Cellular Signal Booster to use in conjunction with your cell phone.

It seems of the options shared, that some are better suited for full timers, while others are better suited for the occasional camper.

Do you agree?
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #45
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrafun View Post
So to recap, following are the options people have shared (as I understand them):

1) Use a Millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon.
Cost: $70 per month + cost of equipment

2) Buy a Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster to use in conjunction with either Verizon or AT&T MiFi or cell phone (mount the antenna on top of the Airstream and the cradle for the booster will be inside the Airstream, with the MiFi or cell phone sitting in the cradle).
Cost: Cost of Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster

3) Buy a WiFi Ranger Sky mounted to the TV antenna to help pull in WiFi signals.
Cost: Cost of WiFi Ranger Sky

4) Use your Smart Phone which most have built in WiFi. Just turn the WiFi on in your phone and your computer(s) will pick it up.
Cost: Nothing (already paying for cellular service)

NOTES:
~If you need to increase your data usage from 3G (gigabytes) to 5G (gigabytes), with AT&T is costs $20. After your camping trip, you can go back to your regular 3G usage.
~With the above option, you may want to consider getting a Sleep 4G Cellular Signal Booster to use in conjunction with your cell phone.

It seems of the options shared, that some are better suited for full timers, while others are better suited for the occasional camper.

Do you agree?
1. It’s Sprint and unlimited. The “equipment”, (a router) is what a router will cost you + their card (one time charge).
2. Never bought a “sleek” booster. If you want a “sleek” booster, you can certainly buy one... My Millenicom has (for the past 2+ years), been working just peachy-keen pretty much all over the country. We full-time. I’m responding to this on my Millenicom network.
3. Wi-Fi Ranger Sky? WTF is that? I just plug the Sprint into my router and go.
4. Our AT&T iPhones charge alot for their “unlimited” plan which is about the same as the other phone services.... which “unlimited” means about 5 to 10 gigs. Millenicom’s unlimited is Unlimited. No cap. No contract. No taxes.

We did AT&T for a couple of months and realized what a horrid mistake that was. With Millenicom, we can do Netflix movies at will. Unlimited means unlimited, unlike the “unlimited" 10G plans of the cell plans.

Your point is....?
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Millenicom has multiple plans. Mine is a 20 GB plan on the 3G Verizon network for $59.99 per month. Given we do not stream videos 20GB of data per month should be plenty for emails and web surfing plus some photo uploading to a blog for 2 people. The Pepwave router will allow us to use free campground wifi, when available, thereby reducing usage of our monthly data allotment. Plus the Pepwave can be used in the tow vehicle on the road to create a cellular hotspot for the navigator to use with an iPad or laptop to check out campgrounds or attractions ahead while in route. Millenicom will allow the service to be suspended for up to 3 months one time per year so if you don't camp in winter you can suspend and not pay the monthly fee.

This approach, unlike tethering to a smart phone, does not tie up your cellular phone. My major question now is will I need to install an external antenna on my Airstream? Until I try it on the road I really won't know.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I use verizon mifi can run up to 5 devices at a time we have used 2 laptops &1 desk top at same time, 5gb per mo at $50.00 additional 5gb $30.00 more, email will not use this much, downloading movies etc. uses lots. My wife works in legal field of spec. ed. I use various sights never used 5gb per mo. No connection to cell phone needed or other devices needed [ranger, or routers etc.needed], AT&T also has mifi device but not as good coverage as verizon lots of web surfing to
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:32 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
1975 Argosy 30
Santa Barbara , California
WRT Mifi set-up, I recommend an external antenna and plugging the antenna into the Mifi. At least the verizon 4G ones I've had (4510L and 4620L) have antenna connectors. This avoids the cradle. Be sure to buy an antenna that covers 3G and 4G bands, such as the "Shorty RV Through Roof Mount Antenna" at 3Gstore.com even if you don't have 4G now as you will in a couple of years and may not want to go through the hassle of an antenna swap. This set-up has worked great for me in the west where a verizon plan is essential IMHO.

However, cell data will not cover you "all over the country" if you include national parks, forests and other interesting nature sites across the west. Try getting coverage in yosemite anywhere east of the valley. We stayed in lower lee vining campground and that worked with the external antenna, any campground further in/up has zero coverage. Try getting coverage in big sur. Try getting coverage in death valley (pay for wifi at the ranch, I guess...) I'm heading to the grand canyon north rim next and maybe I'll catch some "spill" from south rim towers, maybe not. Etc. If I needed coverage full-time I'd have to get satellite service... Of course, your travel destinations may look very different...
tvoneicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:44 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
We stayed at Kaibab National Forest while visiting the North Rim. Great coverage for our Verizon 3G plan we had at the time for mobile broadband. We have AT&T for phone and had not service there. However, once at the Visitor Center we could talk on the phone. Of course, in the old days we wouldn't be using the phone or a computer for communication. My, how times have changed.
Agree, Verizon out west is superior to AT&T.
We now have a Verizon JetPack (product name for a MiFi-like device) it is 4G. There is a speed difference when on 4G, which isn't everywhere yet.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote