Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
 
bnsonger47's Avatar
 
2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Images: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Not to be too technical but a couple of things need to be straightened out.

A "mobile hotspot" turns you cell phone (with mobile broadband access) into a router that converts and redistributes the internet access into an 802.11 wireless signal (commonly referred to as WiFi).

The use of the letter "G" is very deceiving. At times it means "generation" as in the generation (versions) of a phone or delivery mechanism. In the above instance reference is also made to "G" as meaning "gigabyte" - the amount of data transmitted.

Otherwise, thanks for the tip on the service AT&T offers. I hadn't checked with them in a while and didn't know you could subscribe to the ability to route WiFi through the phone in a pay-as-you-go manner. I'll definitely look into that.
__________________

__________________
Byron Songer
2000 Airstream Land Yacht XC
Freightliner/Caterpillar
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
 
sierrafun's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76
Sure, my pleasure!

BTW, if you are already an AT&T customer, you can call your local store on the phone and have them increase your data usage from 3G (gigabytes) to 5G (gigabytes) over the phone! This is quite handy when you're on the road :-)
__________________

__________________
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 41
We use a millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon. I have detail blog post about it from last May.

Mali Mish » Blog Archive » Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler - Unplugged.
__________________
Dan, Marlene, Ava, Mila, Luka & Yoda the cat
----------------
2007 GMC Savana 2500 Extended w/ 6.6L Duramax
2007 International Ocean Breeze 25FB "Mali Mish"

Follow our adventures on MaliMish.com
We are also on Instagram, facebook, twitter and youtube
malimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
Hibby's Avatar
 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 561
Images: 14
I just bought a Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster (from 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Extended Batteries, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards) to use in conjunction with Verizon MiFi, and intend to mount the antenna on top of the Airstream. The cradle for the booster will be inside the Airstream, with the MiFi sitting in the cradle.

In addition to that, I have a WiFi Ranger Sky mounted to my TV Antenna to help pull in wifi signals.

The most significant impact both of these units offer is getting the antenna outside of the Airstream! As a secondary benefit, they both boost the signal.

A benefit that I had not anticipated is that I can use the MiFi to create a hotspot and then use the Wifi Ranger Sky to pickup the hotspot and rebroadcast it. This is only considered one device that is now connected to the MiFi... I can then connect as many as I want to the WiFi Ranger (which picks up WiFi, boosts it, and creates a new hot spot). However, connecting more devices obviously will also slow down the speed.
__________________
Hibby
Hibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
 
sierrafun's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76
That Sleek 4G Cellular Signal Booster is really cool! Thanks for sharing this Hibby :-)

I just read that Wilson Electronics has made one for AT&T customers as well and will be selling it soon (yay):
Sleek 4G-A LTE Cellular Signal Booster for AT&T customers:
Product Details

I love that you can use this cellular signal booster for either a MiFi device or for a cell phone. As I mentioned above, we use my cell phone as our Mobile WiFi Hotspot. We will definitely be purchasing one of these to boost our cellular signal - thank you Hibby!
__________________
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #34
Enthusiastic New AS'r
 
3campers's Avatar
 
1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 155
Images: 18
Since my business is the internet I too needed wifi access to run my laptop so I went simple and easy. I have a Samsung Stratosphere which has built in wifi. So I just turn on my wifi hotspot on my phone, my laptop pics it up and away I go! It is just a tad slower than home but plenty fast for my camping needs and it doesn't cost extra on my plan!

P.s. I have no issues inside my Pod either...
__________________
1985 31' Limited
2003 GMC Sierra HD SLT 4x4
3campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #35
E Pluribus Aluminus
 
Jaxon's Avatar
 
2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
Images: 10
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
We use a millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon. I have detail blog post about it from last May.

Mali Mish » Blog Archive » Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler - Unplugged.
Ditto. Been using Millenicom for the past two years fultiming and love it. Only time we really didn’t get much of a signal, thus no internet, was at Crazy Horse Campground in Littleton, NH up in the White Mountains. Good thing about it is it’s a flat $70 for unlimited service (there is no cap), no tax and no contract. They do have other rates.

Matter of fact, that’s what I’m using now in Rockport, TX.
__________________
Bill & Kim
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master
 
Bigventure's Avatar
 
2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 579
Images: 4
Hi,
I've been reading the thread for information. I may go with the WiFi Ranger for myself.
I just wanted to pass along some info I ran across a few years ago. You can use your OnStar as a cell booster when in your OnStar equipted car or truck. Google Hacking Onstar. FYI I'm not talking about hacking there system. I'm talking about hacking the stuff you own and paid for in your car or truck.
__________________
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
Millenicom "Systems Problems"

Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
We use a millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon. I have detail blog post about it from last May.

Mali Mish » Blog Archive » Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler - Unplugged.
I signed up for a Millenicom account and the 3G Advanced Plan (supposed to be Verizon) on Sunday, August 19. During the signup process the website automatically assesses a $15.00 expedited shipping fee in addition to a $49.99 setup fee. The expedited shipping is supposed to get the USB Modem to the customer in 2 days. They do begin billing for the service on the day of the order even though you will not receive the modem for 2 days.

I went on the website today to follow up on the order as it has not yet arrived (Wednesday August 22, 4:00 PM). UPS, FedEx, and USPS have already delivered to the neighborhood. I could not access the "members" section of the website (page came up blank when I clicked on the link). I called customer service. The representative did find my name in the system but couldn't tell if the order had shipped. She said they were having "systems database" problems. She said she would call the warehouse to check on my order and would call me back. I'm am now waiting for the return call.

Not an auspicious beginning to a relationship with a new communications supplier.
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,441
When we signed up a few months ago, Millenicom prorated the first bill from a couple of days AFTER the order date, through month-end, plus the next full-month amount; so even though they billed you immediately, you probably didn't pay for the gap between when you ordered and when the modem is supposed to arrive.

Also, your area may be different, but our UPS, FEDEX, etc. deliveries come at the end of the day after all of the commercial deliveries are completed; and we usually get the doorbell rung at 6:00 PM or later. Hopefully, your modem arrived this evening.

I just accessed the "Members" log-in page a few minutes ago; and it is back up again.

I was as anxious as you to receive our new MiFi, so I know that waiting is frustrating after finally making the buy decision. However, it's worth the wait. We have had no problems since getting online through Millenicom, and the monthly savings is significant. (We got the 3G/4G Hotspot Plan (20 GBbytes, no contract), which uses the Novatel 4510L on the Verizon network.)

Millenicom seems to be a very small reseller for Sprint and Verizon; and while their customer service representatives are courteous, their response time is slow. Fortunately, after you get settled in, you will rarely have to contact them, as billing, etc. is all automatic.
__________________
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
Millenicom: Still waiting after 4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
When we signed up a few months ago, Millenicom prorated the first bill from a couple of days AFTER the order date, through month-end, plus the next full-month amount; so even though they billed you immediately, you probably didn't pay for the gap between when you ordered and when the modem is supposed to arrive.

Also, your area may be different, but our UPS, FEDEX, etc. deliveries come at the end of the day after all of the commercial deliveries are completed; and we usually get the doorbell rung at 6:00 PM or later. Hopefully, your modem arrived this evening.

I just accessed the "Members" log-in page a few minutes ago; and it is back up again.

I was as anxious as you to receive our new MiFi, so I know that waiting is frustrating after finally making the buy decision. However, it's worth the wait. We have had no problems since getting online through Millenicom, and the monthly savings is significant. (We got the 3G/4G Hotspot Plan (20 GBbytes, no contract), which uses the Novatel 4510L on the Verizon network.)

Millenicom seems to be a very small reseller for Sprint and Verizon; and while their customer service representatives are courteous, their response time is slow. Fortunately, after you get settled in, you will rarely have to contact them, as billing, etc. is all automatic.
Here's the status with Millenicom on Day 4 (Thursday), after 6:00 PM. No return call from Millenicom. No sign of the package. I did log onto the "Member" section of the website (up and running today). Here was the message:

"Good Day Mr. XXXXX,

According to our information your order as it was placed on Sunday August 19th, was selected for and paid Priority Shipping. The device you selected is currently on back order and will be shipped to you as soon as the devices become available to us. If you would like us to move forward with your order as Express Shipping, please email us at billing@millenicom.com to upgrade shipping for $20 dollars additionally.

Thank you for using our service,

Distribution & Fulfillment
MILLENICOM"


Interesting Customer Service policy. Here's the way I interpret it: "We charge you for priority shipping, the device, and the service at the time you place the order for our service and tell you the device required to use our service will arrive in 2 days. We are currently two days late in delivering your order and can't tell you when when we will ship your modem. However, if you do want it faster when we are able to ship, let us know and we'll charge you an extra $20 for express shipping, on top of the $15 we've already charged your credit card for priority shipping. Thank you for using the service and device we've charged you for but haven't yet provided"

I politely told them today I do not want to pay $20 extra for the express shipping but I would like to know when they intend to ship the products for which they've already charged my credit card. No answer yet.

Separately, I am pleased to report the Pepwave Surf-On-The-Go router I purchased from the 3G Store, on the same day I ordered the Millenicom service, arrived in 2 days with "regular" shipping.
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master
 
Florida 55's Avatar

 
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 821
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 4
Millenicom Update Day 7

This morning, one week after placing my order, I received an email saying the Millenicom device has shipped and to expect 5 days for delivery. The notice included a tracking number for the US Postal Service. I tried the Postal Service package tracking website, using the direct link in the Millenicom email. The USPS gave me the following message:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

It isn't hard to figure out why the post office is losing money in competition with UPS and FedEx. It is more difficult to understand why a high tech communications company would charge its customer $15.00 for "priority shipping", ship the order a week late, and use the USPS with zero tracking capability to execute the shipment.

I look forward to receiving the USB Modem and trying the Millenicom service with the PepWave Surf on the Go router the 3G Store got to me in 2 days. I'll give a report once I have some experience.
__________________
Chuck
Airstream - 2008 Safari 27FB SE (Sweet Pea)
TV - 2011 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Diesel, 4X4 (Brutus)
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #41
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55
This morning, one week after placing my order, I received an email saying the Millenicom device has shipped and to expect 5 days for delivery. The notice included a tracking number for the US Postal Service. I tried the Postal Service package tracking website, using the direct link in the Millenicom email. The USPS gave me the following message:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

It isn't hard to figure out why the post office is losing money in competition with UPS and FedEx. It is more difficult to understand why a high tech communications company would charge its customer $15.00 for "priority shipping", ship the order a week late, and use the USPS with zero tracking capability to execute the shipment.

I look forward to receiving the USB Modem and trying the Millenicom service with the PepWave Surf on the Go router the 3G Store got to me in 2 days. I'll give a report once I have some experience.
Maybe try tomorrow, given that today is a Sunday.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member
 
sierrafun's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 76
For those of you interested in using your smart phones (such as iPhone) as a mobile WiFi hotspot, I just saw this easy to understand video on how to set it up:
iPhone 4 Wifi Hotspot - YouTube

Hope this helps!
__________________

__________________
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.