Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks, Phoenix for the PM.
Ditto.........
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 23' International CCD
Rocky Mount , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
My iPhone still has unlimited data usage through AT&T. We got it when we first got iPhones 4 years ago and as long as we don't change our plan they can't change that. (Although I got a text from them the other day that said "Your data usage is near 3GB this month. Exceeding 3GB during this or future billing cycles will result in reduced data speeds, though you'll still be able to email & surf the web." That's how they still get to you.) So, I am just wondering how much it costs to enable tethering on my iPhone. AT&T charges for that
I have ATT also with unlimited data also. If you want to tether additional devices to you account you have to add tethering which takes away the grandfathered unlimited data account.

Now ATT is starting a new method called Mobile Share. AT&T Individual Data Plans & Mobile Share Data Plans from AT&T

Same thing you start all over and cannot keep the grandfathered unlimited data account.

My solution as to date has been to use a Verizon mifi device, $50 per month no contract for 5GB data. I get a email telling me when I am 50% usage as a courtesy. I can also check online of usage.

Any way you look at it you cannot add devices without breaking out your checkbook. Sorry. With the Verizon mifi I can add 5 devices all using from the 5GB pool without spending a penny more for the extra devices.

The txt you got from ATT means you still have unlimited just that it is "throttled".
dboehmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboehmer

I have ATT also with unlimited data also. If you want to tether additional devices to you account you have to add tethering which takes away the grandfathered unlimited data account.

Now ATT is starting a new method called Mobile Share. AT&T Individual Data Plans & Mobile Share Data Plans from AT&T

Same thing you start all over and cannot keep the grandfathered unlimited data account.

My solution as to date has been to use a Verizon mifi device, $50 per month no contract for 5GB data. I get a email telling me when I am 50% usage as a courtesy. I can also check online of usage.

Any way you look at it you cannot add devices without breaking out your checkbook. Sorry. With the Verizon mifi I can add 5 devices all using from the 5GB pool without spending a penny more for the extra devices.

The txt you got from ATT means you still have unlimited just that it is "throttled".
What a deal. Thanks for the info. I don't really need to tether because I can just use my phone but if it was reasonable enough it would have been nice.
colberjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
There are two huge factors that no one is mentioning here... probably because they're both "duh" factors.

Make sure you compare carriers and their service where you're going to be traveling. Don't look at their maps... they're horsecaca. There are a number of agnostic web sites out there that do this for you. Here's one for an example.

Numero dos is bundling with your cell phone carrier to see if there are any noticeable discounts available.

If you happen to work for a medium to large corporation and have an IT department that has a few corporate agreements with cell phone providers, it may prove useful to drop by and see if they can get you a few loaners to try out.

I happen to be in IT and have AT&T and Verizon sending me their latest hot spots right now for comparison.

I've been tethering off my jailbroken iphone for the last three years successfully, but I want a dedicated one in the trailer.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
One reseller offers substantial discounts on data plans. While several, including myself, have previously posted details, I don't want to appear to be endorsing this company. However, I am currently paying $69.99 per month, with no contract, for a 20Gb plan that utilizes one of the major provider networks. There are also other "unlimited" plans that allow up to 50Gb of use. Send me a PM, if you would like the link; and you can check to see if any of the plans would work for you.

Note: I am not affiliated with this company; and I offer the information only as a satisfied customer, so that others can take advantage of the savings if one of the plans fits their needs.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboehmer View Post

Lynn and I each have an iPhone 4S, and we also have a MIFI Jetpack, all through Verizon. We can connect our laptops, iPhones and printer through the mifi. We have been on the road nearly all of the time since we started this setup the end of April, and have had very good results. The phones each have 2 GBs of data and the mifi 5GBs. We can check the usage from either phone at any time. The only place where service was not very good was at an RV park just north of Long Beach Washington, but that is quite remote. Currently we are at Fort Flagler State Park in Washington and service is great.

Works for us.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
dznf0g said: "Not sure if you were addressing me specifically, but I was not mixing them up. I want a mobile broadband secure WiFi hotspot."

Any mobile broadband device you purchase can be made secure or, if you choose, can be made wide open for WiFi access with a laptop, phone, or tablet. The choice is up to you.

My wife and I are like another responder above -- our cell phone service is through one carrier and our mobile broadband device is through another (actually, we have two -- my wife works via the Internet as a medical transcriptionist so having access while we travel is essential for her).

The prepaid plan I like the best was what we got two years ago from Virgin Mobile (which uses the Sprint network). It is also the one with the least coverage.

We started with a Cradlepoint router from the 3G Store. A USB broadband radio plugs into it (USB 760 by Novatel). We had one each for Verizon and Virgin Mobile. They were equivalent to 3G speeds.

While in Arizona the Verizon USB 760 decided to die. At the Verizon store we couldn't get a replacement so we purchased the 4G-based MiFi Jetpack for use with a prepaid plan. At times on our trip from Arizona to Montana we could get Virgin Mobile's service when we had no Verizon. In some places we had email access via Verizon when there was not a bar in sight with respect to AT&T (more bars in more places - sometimes).

At any rate - compare plans and decide if you want a full-time or prepaid data plan.

I also wish we had gotten a 4g-based USB device to plug into our Cradlepoint because that should have been the most cost-effective route to go. If we would have had time (and weren't on a trip when the device died) that is what I would have gotten.

I like the Cradlepoint much better because it's range is greater than the MiFi, which is limited to about 25 feet. The Cradlepoint also doesn't clip users to five.

I agree with Taylormade, maps are marketing tools and aren't based on reality. At times I've had a signal where the map says I shouldn't but, more often than not, the map says I'm good to go and wasn't.

Keep in mind that your performance will also always vary depending on how many users there are on a particular tower and how active those users are. It's much like the WiFi at an RV campground when, at 10 pm, the web crawls and at 8 AM you flies at warp speed. And, there is also the consideration of what speed you are connecting to the tower. There are lots of variables.

OK. You have enough information to go forth and conquer.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ladera Ranch , California
Not sure if this will help you Skime30 but I'll give you my two cents:

Mobile Broadband refers to internet access gained via a cell tower
Mobile Hotspot broadcasts mobile broadband from one device to others

My husband and I both have iPhone 4S' with AT&T and have been customers of theirs for quite some time. His phone has Unlimited Data usage and mine has 3G. When we travel, we use my iPhone as a 5G Mobile Hotspot . We use my iPhone so that he doesn't lose his Unlimited Data usage plan.

Currently, we pay $30 a month for my 3G usage and when we need to turn my iPhone into a 5G mobile hotspot, we pay an additional $20 (or $10 per 1G of service). If we need more than 5G, we pay $10 for each additional 1G of service. To turn my phone into a 5G mobile hotspot, there is no contract we need to sign and we upgrade only when we need it and discontinue and revert back to 3G when we return from vacation.

For most people 5G is plenty but keep in mind that video streaming is the most data intensive application for any device. If you intend on doing a lot of video streaming, I suggest you get a shared data plan that offers 20G or more and this you could buy through AT&T.

We have Apple TV and have Netflix through our Apple TV and we do video, music and picture streaming through our TV's and we love it! But again, it's very data intensive.

Lastly, one cool feature that AT&T offers is that you can download a free AT&T app onto your iPhone and track your minutes and data usage. This app will give you up to date info on how much data you've used. They will also text message you when you've reached 65%, 90% and 99% of usage so that you can buy more if you need it.

As for the safety and hackers aspect: You MUST make sure that your mobile hotspot is password protected and that your password is STRONG. This will deter 99% of the people...but if you happen to be camping next to some world class hacker, nothing will stop him or her from getting access to your info and that's anywhere you are.

Just my two cents...hope this helps!
sierrafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Louisville , Kentucky
Send a message via Skype™ to bnsonger47
Not to be too technical but a couple of things need to be straightened out.

A "mobile hotspot" turns you cell phone (with mobile broadband access) into a router that converts and redistributes the internet access into an 802.11 wireless signal (commonly referred to as WiFi).

The use of the letter "G" is very deceiving. At times it means "generation" as in the generation (versions) of a phone or delivery mechanism. In the above instance reference is also made to "G" as meaning "gigabyte" - the amount of data transmitted.

Otherwise, thanks for the tip on the service AT&T offers. I hadn't checked with them in a while and didn't know you could subscribe to the ability to route WiFi through the phone in a pay-as-you-go manner. I'll definitely look into that.
bnsonger47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sure, my pleasure!

BTW, if you are already an AT&T customer, you can call your local store on the phone and have them increase your data usage from 3G (gigabytes) to 5G (gigabytes) over the phone! This is quite handy when you're on the road :-)
Old 08-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Los Angeles , California
We use a millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon. I have detail blog post about it from last May.

Mali Mish » Blog Archive » Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler - Unplugged.
2007 International Ocean Breeze 25FB "Mali Mish"

Follow our adventures on MaliMish.com
We are also on Instagram, facebook, twitter and youtube
malimish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2018 33' Classic
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I just bought a Sleek 4g Cellular Signal Booster (from 3Gstore.com, 3G/4G Routers, Antennas, Amplifiers, WiFi, Extended Batteries, Verizon & Sprint Data Cards) to use in conjunction with Verizon MiFi, and intend to mount the antenna on top of the Airstream. The cradle for the booster will be inside the Airstream, with the MiFi sitting in the cradle.

In addition to that, I have a WiFi Ranger Sky mounted to my TV Antenna to help pull in wifi signals.

The most significant impact both of these units offer is getting the antenna outside of the Airstream! As a secondary benefit, they both boost the signal.

A benefit that I had not anticipated is that I can use the MiFi to create a hotspot and then use the Wifi Ranger Sky to pickup the hotspot and rebroadcast it. This is only considered one device that is now connected to the MiFi... I can then connect as many as I want to the WiFi Ranger (which picks up WiFi, boosts it, and creates a new hot spot). However, connecting more devices obviously will also slow down the speed.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
That Sleek 4G Cellular Signal Booster is really cool! Thanks for sharing this Hibby :-)

I just read that Wilson Electronics has made one for AT&T customers as well and will be selling it soon (yay):
Sleek 4G-A LTE Cellular Signal Booster for AT&T customers:
Product Details

I love that you can use this cellular signal booster for either a MiFi device or for a cell phone. As I mentioned above, we use my cell phone as our Mobile WiFi Hotspot. We will definitely be purchasing one of these to boost our cellular signal - thank you Hibby!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #34
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Since my business is the internet I too needed wifi access to run my laptop so I went simple and easy. I have a Samsung Stratosphere which has built in wifi. So I just turn on my wifi hotspot on my phone, my laptop pics it up and away I go! It is just a tad slower than home but plenty fast for my camping needs and it doesn't cost extra on my plan!

P.s. I have no issues inside my Pod either...
Old 08-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #35
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post
We use a millenicom 'unlimited' service for $70 a month including all taxes. It uses the Spring network that will roam on Verizon. I have detail blog post about it from last May.

Mali Mish » Blog Archive » Unlimited mobile broadband for the traveler - Unplugged.
Ditto. Been using Millenicom for the past two years fultiming and love it. Only time we really didn’t get much of a signal, thus no internet, was at Crazy Horse Campground in Littleton, NH up in the White Mountains. Good thing about it is it’s a flat $70 for unlimited service (there is no cap), no tax and no contract. They do have other rates.

Matter of fact, that’s what I’m using now in Rockport, TX.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Hi,
I've been reading the thread for information. I may go with the WiFi Ranger for myself.
I just wanted to pass along some info I ran across a few years ago. You can use your OnStar as a cell booster when in your OnStar equipted car or truck. Google Hacking Onstar. FYI I'm not talking about hacking there system. I'm talking about hacking the stuff you own and paid for in your car or truck.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Millenicom "Systems Problems"

Quote:
Originally Posted by malimish View Post

I signed up for a Millenicom account and the 3G Advanced Plan (supposed to be Verizon) on Sunday, August 19. During the signup process the website automatically assesses a $15.00 expedited shipping fee in addition to a $49.99 setup fee. The expedited shipping is supposed to get the USB Modem to the customer in 2 days. They do begin billing for the service on the day of the order even though you will not receive the modem for 2 days.

I went on the website today to follow up on the order as it has not yet arrived (Wednesday August 22, 4:00 PM). UPS, FedEx, and USPS have already delivered to the neighborhood. I could not access the "members" section of the website (page came up blank when I clicked on the link). I called customer service. The representative did find my name in the system but couldn't tell if the order had shipped. She said they were having "systems database" problems. She said she would call the warehouse to check on my order and would call me back. I'm am now waiting for the return call.

Not an auspicious beginning to a relationship with a new communications supplier.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
When we signed up a few months ago, Millenicom prorated the first bill from a couple of days AFTER the order date, through month-end, plus the next full-month amount; so even though they billed you immediately, you probably didn't pay for the gap between when you ordered and when the modem is supposed to arrive.

Also, your area may be different, but our UPS, FEDEX, etc. deliveries come at the end of the day after all of the commercial deliveries are completed; and we usually get the doorbell rung at 6:00 PM or later. Hopefully, your modem arrived this evening.

I just accessed the "Members" log-in page a few minutes ago; and it is back up again.

I was as anxious as you to receive our new MiFi, so I know that waiting is frustrating after finally making the buy decision. However, it's worth the wait. We have had no problems since getting online through Millenicom, and the monthly savings is significant. (We got the 3G/4G Hotspot Plan (20 GBbytes, no contract), which uses the Novatel 4510L on the Verizon network.)

Millenicom seems to be a very small reseller for Sprint and Verizon; and while their customer service representatives are courteous, their response time is slow. Fortunately, after you get settled in, you will rarely have to contact them, as billing, etc. is all automatic.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Millenicom: Still waiting after 4 days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
When we signed up a few months ago, Millenicom prorated the first bill from a couple of days AFTER the order date, through month-end, plus the next full-month amount; so even though they billed you immediately, you probably didn't pay for the gap between when you ordered and when the modem is supposed to arrive.

Also, your area may be different, but our UPS, FEDEX, etc. deliveries come at the end of the day after all of the commercial deliveries are completed; and we usually get the doorbell rung at 6:00 PM or later. Hopefully, your modem arrived this evening.

I just accessed the "Members" log-in page a few minutes ago; and it is back up again.

I was as anxious as you to receive our new MiFi, so I know that waiting is frustrating after finally making the buy decision. However, it's worth the wait. We have had no problems since getting online through Millenicom, and the monthly savings is significant. (We got the 3G/4G Hotspot Plan (20 GBbytes, no contract), which uses the Novatel 4510L on the Verizon network.)

Millenicom seems to be a very small reseller for Sprint and Verizon; and while their customer service representatives are courteous, their response time is slow. Fortunately, after you get settled in, you will rarely have to contact them, as billing, etc. is all automatic.
Here's the status with Millenicom on Day 4 (Thursday), after 6:00 PM. No return call from Millenicom. No sign of the package. I did log onto the "Member" section of the website (up and running today). Here was the message:

"Good Day Mr. XXXXX,

According to our information your order as it was placed on Sunday August 19th, was selected for and paid Priority Shipping. The device you selected is currently on back order and will be shipped to you as soon as the devices become available to us. If you would like us to move forward with your order as Express Shipping, please email us at billing@millenicom.com to upgrade shipping for $20 dollars additionally.

Thank you for using our service,

Distribution & Fulfillment
MILLENICOM"

Interesting Customer Service policy. Here's the way I interpret it: "We charge you for priority shipping, the device, and the service at the time you place the order for our service and tell you the device required to use our service will arrive in 2 days. We are currently two days late in delivering your order and can't tell you when when we will ship your modem. However, if you do want it faster when we are able to ship, let us know and we'll charge you an extra $20 for express shipping, on top of the $15 we've already charged your credit card for priority shipping. Thank you for using the service and device we've charged you for but haven't yet provided"

I politely told them today I do not want to pay $20 extra for the express shipping but I would like to know when they intend to ship the products for which they've already charged my credit card. No answer yet.

Separately, I am pleased to report the Pepwave Surf-On-The-Go router I purchased from the 3G Store, on the same day I ordered the Millenicom service, arrived in 2 days with "regular" shipping.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Millenicom Update Day 7

This morning, one week after placing my order, I received an email saying the Millenicom device has shipped and to expect 5 days for delivery. The notice included a tracking number for the US Postal Service. I tried the Postal Service package tracking website, using the direct link in the Millenicom email. The USPS gave me the following message:

"Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office."

It isn't hard to figure out why the post office is losing money in competition with UPS and FedEx. It is more difficult to understand why a high tech communications company would charge its customer $15.00 for "priority shipping", ship the order a week late, and use the USPS with zero tracking capability to execute the shipment.

I look forward to receiving the USB Modem and trying the Millenicom service with the PepWave Surf on the Go router the 3G Store got to me in 2 days. I'll give a report once I have some experience.