Old 10-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Mobile Internet- ing

Just a quick question here. I just recently got a couple of ipod touch (phones) and they are really cool....as long as you have the internet. I have moved my skype number to them so far and several other apps. One app is even an AIR forums app.
Cutting to the chase- I would like to acquire mobile internet and have lost my former links to such a device or set up. Any of you folks have a solution?
I had read about a hotspot for your car or tow vehicle somewhere.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You might review this recent thread on the subject, especially the early posts about MiFi devices.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f451...int-97019.html

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #3
rbs
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Wireless

we just switched over to Verizon Jetpack, 4620, and so far are very pleased. I am using it now to sent this message from the Shawnee Nat. Forest, 3G service here, but have 4G at home
Old 10-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I don't know what the Verizon Jetpack is, but we have a Verizon Air Card and use it at home and on the road, very easy to move from one to the other. With ours, ours will run up to five laptops or whatever at a time. We have 3G, but 4G is available, we just don't want to sign up for the two-year plan.

Deb
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I don't know what the Verizon Jetpack is, but we have a Verizon Air Card and use it at home and on the road, very easy to move from one to the other. With ours, ours will run up to five laptops or whatever at a time. We have 3G, but 4G is available, we just don't want to sign up for the two-year plan.

Deb
Jetpack is the newest version of the MiFi/Aircard. My work just issued me one, it is a stand alone cellular based wifi hotspot. I used mine yesterday along the I-95 corridor between NC and DC, works pretty good for the most part. I also use the 3G hotspot on our Iphone and Droid Pro with good results. Depending on how much data usage you need will help you make your choices.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
Our solution includes creating a hot spot in our truck for all our iThings:

Verizon USB modem, pay as you go
Cradlepoint router (for said Verizon USB modem)
Wilson trucker antenna

This setup provides good coverage even in more remote areas.

A few links (note there is likely a more recent Cradlepoint router available)

Wilson Trucker Antenna, Truck Cellular Antennas, Trucker Cell Phone Antenna

CradlePoint CTR500, Support, Firmware, and FAQs | CradlePoint
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We are diehard, longtime Verizon fans.

We upgraded to the jet pack last summer, after the battery in the mi-fi died, and have had no problems with it,

We move around a lot when we are on the road, have noticed that sometimes the best way to get a good signal quickly is to shut the jet pack off, remove the battery and restart.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The 4620 is the latest and greatest in the MiFi portfolio that Verizon markets. I waited a long time for this particular model before jumping. What makes the 4620 unique is the fact that it will provide WiFi to as many as 10 devices concurrently. The other side is the power of the WiFi unit in that in previous versions in clear conditions, the old units can maintain a 30 foot circle of service. The 4620 can maintain 100 feet. In 4G areas I've been able to run speed tests up to 16 meg on the downstream side. There is an aftermarket battery on the market that can give you up to 8 hours of run time. Also notable is that the 4620 can be plugged into your USB port and will still operate. Previous models shut down the cellular/WiFi side when the unit was plugged into USB ports for power purposes. This is great when out using a laptop.

Alas it does suffer from limited connectivity to the cellular network when inside the trailer (dependent upon the distance from a tower). Up at Moraine View and when up in Door County Wi, we placed the unit on the lip of the skylight. That improved signal strength and provided good WiFi service inside and outside of the trailer.

AT&T's WiFi 4G offering is superior in speed, but the Verizon network is much larger and from personal experience I know that AT&T in many areas is overloaded by iPhone traffic.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
First of all, I am guessing, that for travel trailers, supporting any more than 3 or 4 devices at once is of no value. Secondly 100 foot radius is quite a bit more than the average user would ever use when camping.
I have very good luck with my Verizon 4G smart phone's wireless hot spot feature. On a recent trip from the Denver area to the San Diego area and back, I was surprised at how much 4g coverage was available. In my opinion the need for a separate wireless hot spot device is no longer valid. The smart phone was able to serve my laptop, my tablet and my wife's laptop at the same time. We don't normally do that but we did for a test.
I simply set my phone on a window sill (I guess that what you call in in an Airstream) and leave it there while we are parked. When traveling, I set it on the dashboard if I want to use the Internet with the tablet or laptop.

Ken

Verizon’s huge 4G network just smacked AT&T in the face | VentureBeat
Old 10-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
The 4620 is the latest and greatest in the MiFi portfolio that Verizon markets. I waited a long time for this particular model before jumping. What makes the 4620 unique is the fact that it will provide WiFi to as many as 10 devices concurrently. The other side is the power of the WiFi unit in that in previous versions in clear conditions, the old units can maintain a 30 foot circle of service. The 4620 can maintain 100 feet. In 4G areas I've been able to run speed tests up to 16 meg on the downstream side. There is an aftermarket battery on the market that can give you up to 8 hours of run time. Also notable is that the 4620 can be plugged into your USB port and will still operate. Previous models shut down the cellular/WiFi side when the unit was plugged into USB ports for power purposes. This is great when out using a laptop.

Alas it does suffer from limited connectivity to the cellular network when inside the trailer (dependent upon the distance from a tower). Up at Moraine View and when up in Door County Wi, we placed the unit on the lip of the skylight. That improved signal strength and provided good WiFi service inside and outside of the trailer.

AT&T's WiFi 4G offering is superior in speed, but the Verizon network is much larger and from personal experience I know that AT&T in many areas is overloaded by iPhone traffic.

Jack
Yikes, Jack!! Such an analysis!!

Maggie
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I have an android Galaxy with Sprint. It has a hot spot. You can have it turned on anytme and turned off anytime. You pay only the pro rat monthly rate. Using the Wilson signal amp, you can get really good reception almost anywhere and adequate internet for email and surfing.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #12

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie

Yikes, Jack!! Such an analysis!!

Maggie
Not every thing was important to me personally. The important items were the 100 ft radius, since that translates that the unit will run faster. Wifi will run slower as you get further away from the access point. I like speed. The ability to get power from the PC and continue to operate is a major improvement. The bigger battery option and 4g capability is again important.

Yep I do analyze a lot but since I support wireless at work and see these things, it's important for me to understand how these devices work and potentially how they may affect the WiFi environment that we provide at work.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We currently use a Samsung Verizon 3G/4G LTE device...not the newest device, but not an old one either (before we used a Verizon USB modem)...it has been very very reliable with no add-on antenna or additional boosting and has often surprised me with it's connectivity abilities...connecting even when I could not get a cell phone connection. We have had no trouble with it until this evening...and when I called Verizon tech support they had me up and running agian in a matter of minutes...I was quite impressed...there had been an issue with part of the network and my device had "frozen" and would not allow me to connect ...that, and we are fairly remote at the moment... (Now I know how to fix that)... We have no real complaints and we run 2 laptops most of the time...
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, personally speaking, thanks for everyone's information regarding all these options. As I stated before, we have been wanting 4G for quite some time, didn't want to be forced to sign a two-yr. contract, but now I see there are even more options!! We want more speed, but for the best price and convenience. I'm going to have my DH read this thread so we can make a good decision as to which way we want to go.

Deb