Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
You will find 4G in metro areas and the rare campground near them. To fin 4G in a rural campground is practically non existant and likely to remain so until carriers figure out a better and easier way to deliver it.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I think Verizon must deliver 4G on a as needed basis if they think you're cool enough . I got my 4G phone knowing that we had no coverage in our immediate area at home. I knew I would get some use out of it traveling. Just a couple of weeks after I bought it, I looked at my phone one morning at our house, and it said 4G lte in the status box. That's what call service. They must not like our next door neighbor however. If I go over by the fence on that side of our yard, it goes back to 3G.

Ken

Old 10-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
4G service is not available in all places, of course, but it is available in Tucson, which makes it nice to use our hotspot device at home as a backup when Cox is having issues...which is not all that often, but it happens. We also get 4G in campgrounds close enough to Phoenix.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Grand Rabbits , Michigan
I'll second the motion on Verizon's Jetpack, and recommend a Wilson 3g/4g signal booster for areas with poor cell reception. Next week, we are having our Wilson booster (cradle) mounted permanently inside the Airstream and the antenna mounted permanently on the roof, and I'll just pop the Jetpack in the cradle whenever inside the Airstream.

I have found substantially faster speeds and more reliable connectivity using the Jetpack, compared to the mobile hotspot on my Motorola Droid Bionic phone.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
I'll second the motion on Verizon's Jetpack, and recommend a Wilson 3g/4g signal booster for areas with poor cell reception. Next week, we are having our Wilson booster (cradle) mounted permanently inside the Airstream and the antenna mounted permanently on the roof, and I'll just pop the Jetpack in the cradle whenever inside the Airstream.

I have found substantially faster speeds and more reliable connectivity using the Jetpack, compared to the mobile hotspot on my Motorola Droid Bionic phone.
What does it cost to add the jet pack to your plan?

Ken
Old 10-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts

What does it cost to add the jet pack to your plan?

Ken
The Verizon WiFi Jet packs are usually free with a 2 year plan. Expect a $50 monthly charge. Without a plan consider around $200+. Be careful since Verizon has 3 different Jetpack models on the market. They do operate differently and some agency stores are only selling the 4610. The newest with the best features is the 4620 made by Novatel. The older models are the Novatel 4610 and a model made by Samsung.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
I bought our jetpack at Walmart along with some prepay cards. We buy what we need. Either $60 per month or $90 per month based on data usage, right now, since I'm not using the jetpack We pay nothing. The other payment option is $15 per week for smaller data needs.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
"The 4620 is the latest and greatest in the MiFi portfolio that Verizon markets."

So is the 4G referenced here an LTE connection?

I'm curious if others have tried the new iPhone 5 personal hotspot with LTE service on Verizon? I currently use my 4S using 3G as a personal hotspot, but it's spotty.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream Dad
"The 4620 is the latest and greatest in the MiFi portfolio that Verizon markets."

So is the 4G referenced here an LTE connection?

I'm curious if others have tried the new iPhone 5 personal hotspot with LTE service on Verizon? I currently use my 4S using 3G as a personal hotspot, but it's spotty.

Cheers,

Jim
Yes it does handle LTE service. Based on my previous post, the $50 monthly cost allows up to 5GB of service a month. My high end has been 3GB. That occurred in August when we spent about 10 days On a trip up to Door County Wisconsin. We probably left the unit on for about 7 days straight. We had a laptop and 2 iPads connected using the service. Up there we were using 3G service. Speed test showed between 3 to 5 Meg's of bandwidth on the downstream side. When connected to 4G I've gotten as high as 16 Meg's downstream.

Notable today that Verizon released their first firmware update for the 4620. I got a message on the unit itself asking for the okay to do the update. It took about 2 minutes to load and then reboot. I'm not sure what the update contains. Up to this point I had 3 incidents of the unit freezing up when trying to connect to Verizon service. When that happened the unit totally froze including the on/off button. I had to pull the battery out in those situations to allow the unit to restart.

That always fixed the issue.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #24

I called Verizon about the cost involved in adding a jetpack to my Share Everything plan. It would only add $20/month.(less my 15% discount.) It would share whatever data limit I have in place at the time. As long as I acquire it without incurring a contract, I could put in on and take it off as I wished. I definitely don't need it at home as we have a 20+ mbs cable connection. The question is would it buy me $20/month worth of benefit over my Droid 4 when we travel. Of course the coolness factor must be taken into consideration. I also need to find a good deal. Careful purchasing on Ebay has worked well for me in the past.

Ken