Old 04-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Burr Trail

The last time that I was on Burr trail it was mostly a narrow dirt road with a few hairy parts . I know that they were planning some improvements, but I also think that " They " like to keep some hairy road features in, perhaps to discourage humungus RVs from using the roads. Parts of the western leg of the trail does have awesome scenery. But there are so many unbelievable scenic spots where you are going, that I am not sure the Burr trail will be worth the long slow trek with a big trailer.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
Detroit , Michigan
great intel

Thanks to all who all have posted on this thread and have kindly replied to my emails. The information I have gotten has been exactly what I was looking for as we planned our adventure through southern Utah.

Following Utah and a week in the Los Angeles area on business, I hope to tour up the California coast on Hwy 1 through San Simeon and Monterey. Stop at Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia; maybe a day trip into San Francisco. The Red Woods would add another 1000 miles before heading home to Michigan through Salt Lake City and Chicago.

Any thoughts on that leg of the journey would be appreciated also, but that may be another thread with a different title.

86' 31' Sovereign
the ponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 05:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Going thru the dessert anytime after the middle of June can be brutally hot. Even in late May, my brother and I would hike, or travel in the car, from 5 to 9 in the morning and 5 to 9 in the evening. It's good that you taking the northern route on your later leg of the trip, when it will be even hotter in the dessert.
Bare in mind the you can be miserably hot, and freezing cold 15 minutes later when the sun goes down.
Back to the Burr trail. There is a campground near the Burr Trail. ( next to a petrified forrest, maybe near Escalante ) You could unhook your trailer and check out the Burr trail with no problem. I enjoyed it.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote